• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Temporary Post and Panel Sign

freshprints

Need to make a wood post for a temporary sign. Dimensions are 4’ x 8’ printed on both sides and will need to be PVC or Coroplast since it will be digitally printed. I’m new to signage and can’t seem to find any design tips online for making a 4’ x 8’ wood post frame.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Here's a pic of a temporary frame a client built for their sign. Landlord wouldn't let them sink any posts into the ground, so this one just sits on top of the grass.

Attachments

• IMG_20180429_190217.jpg
    IMG_20180429_190217.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 567

freshprints

Here's a pic of a temporary frame a client built for their sign. Landlord wouldn't let them sink any posts into the ground, so this one just sits on top of the grass.

Skid sign might actually be the way to go. Do you know of any source online that has building instructions for it?

d fleming

If you cannot look at that pic and figure out how to build that you might be in the wrong profession. I know that sounds harsh but honestly if you can figure out how to cut vinyl with a computer and software building that should be a walk in the park. No offense intended.

Jean Shimp

If it's just a temporary sign I would make two single sided signs with 4x4 wood posts sandwiched in between. The time you spend making a frame for a double sided corroplast sign will exceed the cost of making two separate signs when you figure the cost of labor to build a frame and the wood cost too.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If it's just a temporary sign I would make two single sided signs with 4x4 wood posts sandwiched in between. The time you spend making a frame for a double sided corroplast sign will exceed the cost of making two separate signs when you figure the cost of labor to build a frame and the wood cost too.

Exactly what I was thinking.

This was really rushed and I could of done better but it was a down and dirty temp sign. Just slap another panel on back and its double sided.

20190319_110109.jpg
20190319_110125.jpg

freshprints

Exactly what I was thinking.

This was really rushed and I could of done better but it was a down and dirty temp sign. Just slap another panel on back and its double sided.

View attachment 149255 View attachment 149256

Yeah I think thats going to be the move. Do you know where I can find a design layout for something like that? The customer wants plans that show all the dimensions of the posts as well as the sign itself so they can apply for the permit.

Billct2

Permit, really? Do they even have a category for a sign like that? Are they going to want an engineers stamp for 100mph winds :rolleyes:. You should be able to draw and spec that in about 10-15 minutes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned temporary sign. In most cases a temporary sign is something displayed for 30 days or less. Again, in most cases, you do not need a permit for something like that. However, if it's gonna be up for anything longer, then it is considered a permanent type sign and you'll need a permit. To obtain a permit, you only need to inform how high, wide and deep the total thing is gonna be. As for wind load, that's a different story and I doubt any engineer will sign off on what you're thinking of doing, now.

freshprints

You mentioned temporary sign. In most cases a temporary sign is something displayed for 30 days or less. Again, in most cases, you do not need a permit for something like that. However, if it's gonna be up for anything longer, then it is considered a permanent type sign and you'll need a permit. To obtain a permit, you only need to inform how high, wide and deep the total thing is gonna be. As for wind load, that's a different story and I doubt any engineer will sign off on what you're thinking of doing, now.
Thanks for the advice!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'd just put it in the ground. How will the landlord know? If he complains, pull it out and stick it on a skid like the pictures.

d fleming

For real quick cheap down and dirty I make the art on one side small enough that the posts do not interfere with the message and use 1 board instead of two. A couple pieces of angle for mounting is a pretty simple solution as well.

TammieH

Need to make a wood post for a temporary sign. Dimensions are 4’ x 8’ printed on both sides and will need to be PVC or Coroplast since it will be digitally printed. I’m new to signage and can’t seem to find any design tips online for making a 4’ x 8’ wood post frame.

Do you have a supplier in the area that sells 4x8 coated white MDO? It will save you in some frame building time and $$ just screw the sign panel directly to the post.

Add 2 instant holes in the ground and then back fill

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah I think thats going to be the move. Do you know where I can find a design layout for something like that? The customer wants plans that show all the dimensions of the posts as well as the sign itself so they can apply for the permit.

Two things here...

First, you should be able to draw that yourself by looking at a picture. That isn't even Signs 101, that a remedial class.

Second, the customer is demanding too much. Show them a picture and say "Hey, it will look like this!"