• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Text in Flexi

captainron19

Using Flexi for the first time and working on getting a feel for it. I need to cut out some letters with a red shadow / outline for a firend of mine for his car.

What is the best method to do this in Flexi Pro 7.0?

simplesignman

The best method is to read the manual. In those pages you will find a reference to Effects->Shadow...

If you don't have a manual, either printed or in a PDF, then most likely you have illicit software and, that being the case, deserve everything that happens to you.

captainron19

simplesignman said:
The best method is to read the manual. In those pages you will find a reference to Effects->Shadow...

If you don't have a manual, either printed or in a PDF, then most likely you have illicit software and, that being the case, deserve everything that happens to you.

WOW now that is a little harsh - for your information I do have a registered version bought used with the dongle key - and no the person did not have the manual (that was the only catch because it was damaged in his house when the basement flooded) - trust me - i know - I helped him pump it out. There is a pdf manual on my install CD but I have not had the time to print it out just yet because my printer here at home is on the fritz and I was waiting to go back to work so I could print it from their directly to the copier.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure why you would jump to that assumption SimpleSignman.

Flexi is very easy if you keep "Design Central" open on your workspace. Whatever tool or command you select, Design Central will then display the available parameters.

Select your text and click on Effects > Shadow. Then play with the variables in Design Central until you like what you see on screen. Click the check mark to execute it. It's all WYSIWYG.

captainron19

Thanks Fred I appreciate that - I really dont like to be accused of something especially when not at fault.

I played with it a bit and think I got it going.... I was trying to make the text "FIRE" to have it in red and outlined in white for one of the firetrucks in my fire station. I actually used Corel draw to create the 2 different size texts and plan on overlaying the red on top of the white. Is that the right term ? (Overlay) I am starting to get use to this vinyl talk jargan LOL.

I have been using Corel draw form some time for my Sublimation mug use (Yes it is registered version LOL) and I was going to buy the plug in for it (cant remember the name) but I thought I would go with the Flexi (Glad I did ) but I sure have to get use to it. In some ways it seems similiar to Corel but I still need to get use to it.

WVB

You can change Flexi to resemble a lot of design programs out there. For example you have Flexi resemble Adobe Illustrator by clicking File/Workspace/Adobe. You should have this option for Corel as well. I have always used Illustrator myself and am use to it. However it was nice to have Flexi resmeble Adobe, I still perfer to have Flexi resemble its native format - FlexiPro. Try it you may like it.

simplesignman

Fred Weiss said:
Not sure why you would jump to that assumption SimpleSignman.

Just the natural progression and from spending more years than I care to count fielding questions from people who seemed to think that they'd disappear in a cloud of oily vapor if they actually opened a manual or it was just easier to ask than to figure it out. The standard response to these folk was "Let's see what the manual says", then open the documentation to the proper place and read to them. Most but the extremely perverse and/or addled picked up this clue after but one or two episodes.

Thus when someone inquires of some fundamental feature of something, one can only assume that the are not in possession of documentation. All else follows.

captainron19

simplesignman said:
Just the natural progression and from spending more years than I care to count fielding questions from people who seemed to think that they'd disappear in a cloud of oily vapor if they actually opened a manual or it was just easier to ask than to figure it out.

Well I am sorry that you feel that way but there is still no reason to make such a serious accusation as that. If you feel you have helped people so much that it has become a burden, then maybe you should just simply not reply any more and use this forum for your own reference use.

I am new here and this is the last thing I wanted to happen (to get off on the wrong foot with someone). If need be, I apologize for my ignorance by asking such a basic question. I work full time for a fire department and maybe it is just in my nature that when people ask for help, I provide it so i did not see what the problem was. .

Techman

Ron,
Sorry u had to endure a flogging..
I wouldn't worry about the self appointed software police. They don't usually hang around long...

Any one who uses Flexi knows the manual is with the CD.. at the same time..many ppl either forget or have a hard time reading that reference.

simplesignman

We never made any acusation, merely posed a rather tenuous material implication. That would be a statement in the form if... then.... We even equivocated on the conclusion with the use of 'most likely'.

The thing is if you want to play on internet forums, and they can be handy as well as entertaining, you really have to develop skin like a rhino and drive a stake through the heart of your inner child. Bog knows you should stay clear of UseNet, where the big kids play.

The point, remember the point?, is that there are some questions that you're far better off if you dive in and figure it out all by yourself. That way not only will you remember it, you might well learn some other interesting and perhaps even useful things on your journey. You originally asked what was the best way to do something. The answer was and still is that the best way is to read the documentation.

When we upgraded to FlexiPro 7.5 we were pretty a competent Flexi hand already. But we sat down with the manual and read it, cover to cover. Learned a few interesting things we only suspected, or never knew, in the process.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Hehe. Well, I think it's a little bold to tell others how to behave on an Internet forum when you're very new to this one (with less than 10 posts as of this response).

Usenet? I don't think it's really where the "big kids play." It's more like the area where the trolls play. Many newsgroups in that area have been reduced to junvenile static. I tuned out of most Usenet newsgroups years ago. The flame fests are nothing but a waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, I really can't stand the jerks who use pirated software, especially anyone doing so in the sign business. Many try in vain to justify and rationalize the use. Worse, some of them try to pass themselves off as serious artists when all they did was hit a download button. I've got nearly 2 decades of graphics experience, an expensive NYC art degree and thousands of dollars invested in legally purchased and registered software. I'm really good at what I do. There's a good number of other talented sign designers with credentials like mine. I've even encountered some bearing both art and engineering degrees. The warez hunting wannabes out there will need to put forth a little more effort than hitting a download button to get away with calling themselves artists.

I feel pretty strongly about the subject. But I try to speak about the problem in general terms -not in a way that could be read as being accusatory of a specific person.

Also, I share the same level of irritation about fairly boneheaded questions where the answer is either very obvious or would be revealed with just a tiny bit of effort. I've had to put up with this kind of thing at work, particularly with new employees. It always seems easier to just ask the "graphics expert" how to do something rather than figure it out by looking in the manual or just experimenting with the program (so the user would actually reveal the underpinnings on how the application really works). I just have to gnash my teeth and deal with it at work. On the forums, if the the question is really stupid I just won't acknowledge it with a response. Hopefully others won't either. It might force the newbie to venture into actually using the software.

simplesignman

Bobby H said:
Hehe. Well, I think it's a little bold to tell others how to behave on an Internet forum when you're very new to this one (with less than 10 posts as of this response).

Not telling anyone how to behave anywhere. One thing that is not done is to criticize another's posting style. To do so is the sure sign of an inept fool working at full capacity. We make every attempt to deal only with content. That notwithstanding, excessive sweetness and light in lieu of actual information tends to give us a rash.

We are new to this sandbox but we've been dealing with Usenet since it started and the Internet when it was Mosiac on Unix supported by a ragtag collection of enthusiasts and precious little else. This forum doesn't differ in any substantial way from any other. Interesting format though.

Nonetheless, I'll see your two decades and raise you three more. We were in this business before you and vast majority of those currently cruising these waters were born. And, most likely, their parents as well.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
simplesignman said:
We were in this business before you and vast majority of those currently cruising these waters were born. And, most likely, their parents as well.

It doesn't matter how much experience you claim to have. You are still posting in a MODERATED forum. This isn't the Usenet where trolls move in and try to take over a forum. If "being nice" gives you a rash then you might consider posting elsewhere.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
simplesignman said:
Not telling anyone how to behave anywhere. One thing that is not done is to criticize another's posting style. To do so is the sure sign of an inept fool working at full capacity. We make every attempt to deal only with content. That notwithstanding, excessive sweetness and light in lieu of actual information tends to give us a rash.

We are new to this sandbox but we've been dealing with Usenet since it started and the Internet when it was Mosiac on Unix supported by a ragtag collection of enthusiasts and precious little else. This forum doesn't differ in any substantial way from any other. Interesting format though.

Nonetheless, I'll see your two decades and raise you three more. We were in this business before you and vast majority of those currently cruising these waters were born. And, most likely, their parents as well.

Well, I guess I'm an inept fool then. But you seem to feel that anyone reading your posts should analyze it to the last grammatical detail and then be able to come away with an understanding that precisely matches what you think you are communicating.

You seem to care little about how poorly you communicate and how many strangers you will offend.

The purpose of Signs 101 is to assist those who want assistance to improve their skills, to solve problems and all benefit from the shared information. Many, many more people are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information that must be absorbed to move from a starting point to a productive point than are just asking questions out of laziness ... or worse that they have not acquired their software legally.

If I have a question about how to get a smooth cut in acrylic with my panel saw, will your first assumption be that I'm lazy or that I obtained the saw illegally.

All of which misses the real point.

This forum is about community, learning and sharing. Common courtesy and civility is the lubricant that keeps it running smoothly. Not exercises in clever posting and use of language that either are intended to insult or simply do so without care but can be defended later by grammatical analysis.

It's wonderful that you've got all this experience. Please share it. But at the same time try looking for the best in others instead of assuming the worst.

simplesignman

In an uncharacteristic fit of charity we offer this sacrifice pop-up in keeping with the principle that he who has the last word loses. This is your big chance, just walk away.

We figure that an organism displaying your particular flavor and depth of pomposity is incapable of walking away. Think of this as a test, prove us wrong.

>>Well, I guess I'm an inept fool then.

That would appear to be the case. Your words, not ours. we have taken the time to read a few of your communiques and it appears that with your above delcaration that you're either engaging in a frenzy of understatement or simply being too easy on yourself.

>>But you seem to feel that anyone
>>reading your posts should analyze it to the last grammatical detail and
>>then be able to come away with an understanding that precisely
>>matches what you think you are communicating.

Not quite, we do expect anyone perusing ours or anyone elses's words do be able to read and comprehend simple declarative statements in basic English. You seem to have a problem with this.

>>You seem to care little about how poorly you communicate and how >>many strangers you will offend.

If someone chooses to be offended at something, that, sport, is their choice and their responsibility. As for caring or not caring, we are not sufficiently articulate to descride our utter lack of interest in someone else's behavioral choices.

>>The purpose of Signs 101 is to assist those who want assistance to
>>improve their skills, to solve problems and all benefit from the shared
>>information. Many, many more people are overwhelmed by the sheer
>>volume of information that must be absorbed to move from a starting
>>point to a productive point than are just asking questions out of laziness
>>... or worse that they have not acquired their software legally.

And this ought to be important to us in just what way? To those of us here at the home, the entire universe, all of it including this particular collection of 1's and 0's, exists only to serve our needs and to please us.

>>If I have a question about how to get a smooth cut in acrylic with my
>>panel saw, will your first assumption be that I'm lazy or that I obtained
>>the saw illegally.

It isn't often that one encounters such tortured reasoning in what is supposed to be an adult outside of a Baptist tent meeting.

>>All of which misses the real point.

We seriously doubt if you've ever been in the same zip code with the real point.

>>This forum is about community, learning and sharing. Common courtesy
>>and civility is the lubricant that keeps it running smoothly. Not exercises
>>in clever posting and use of language that either are intended to insult or
>>simply do so without care but can be defended later by grammatical
>>analysis.

Gramatical analysis? Most normal people manage to get along merely by reading. Lots of them even manage to do it without moving their lips. Perhaps you should look into finding someone else to read this stuff to you. The being you currently have thus engaged seems to be doing a bit of editorializing.

>>It's wonderful that you've got all this experience. Please share it. But at
>>the same time try looking for the best in others instead of assuming the
>>worst.

Look look for what you want, we'll look for what we want.

Specimens such as yourself, to whom the package is more important than what it contains, never cease to amaze us. It always puts us in mind of someone who buys a refrigerator because the door opens from either side and it comes in decorator colors. A opposed to someone who buys a refrigerator because it keeps stuff cold.

In parting we'd like to point out that when it's your turn to post, you get to say whatever you want to say in whatever manner you chose to affect. When it's our turn to post we get to say whatever we want to say in whatever manner it might please us to use.

If this is the sort of thing that bothers you, you will be bothered. Our lack of interest in your state of mind is total.

Your move...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It has taken almost two years for this to happen for the first time. You offend me, you offend others and you just don't get it.

You're outta here.