• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Textured Surface Tools

SouthEastMIsigns

I'm looking for alternatives to the 3M TSA-2 textured surface applicators. (Motor joint roller tools) The 3M tools are $200. That seems a bit ridiculous for what they are. I have a very large wall wrap project on painted cinder block and I wanted to pick up a few extra tools so I can have several guys heating/rolling at once, but I don't necessarily want to spend $800 on rollers if I don't have to. Are there any cheaper options out there?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I had a project like this earlier this year. Same thing. Image on cinder block. I subbed it out to a friend because he had the gear and I trust his work. Much easier than buying tools I'll rarely if ever use again.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Foam paint roller better than rollepro? You are kidding right?

If you are out on a job and you forgot your roller it works I guess. If you want to do a big wall wrap you have several options.

I have both of these. Thick foam. You can put 10 times more pressure with these compared to the paint roller. Your hands won't get fatigue either. foam won't melt like the painter one. etc etc etc.
The big one is good for wall wraps. The small one is good for wall wrap edges of wall wraps or rivets or plastic nipples (where paint roller is completely useless)
I also have and used rollepro for 10 years and the smaller metal roller easily outperforms it. you can also attach it to a torch so you free up a hand

http://www.wraptools.com/Kenny-Calmans-Signature-Air-Wrangler-Large-Torch-Roller_p_170.html

http://www.wraptools.com/The-Hot-Shot-Big-Easy_p_66.html

I have used the hot show big easy with two heatguns attached it a game changer if you do a lot of textured wall wraps.

Last edited:

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI...

If you are doing a rough walk graphic, please use the proper material and install correctly. I’ve seen too many that are not done right and are just bad looking in no time.

The rollers are meant to take the high temps needed for install. Yes they are expensive but you don’t have to buy them every day. L

Maybe sub it to someone that does it and has the proper tools

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Foam paint roller better than rollepro? You are kidding right?

If you are out on a job and you forgot your roller it works I guess. If you want to do a big wall wrap you have several options.

I have both of these. Thick foam. You can put 10 times more pressure with these compared to the paint roller. Your hands won't get fatigue either. foam won't melt like the painter one. etc etc etc.
The big one is good for wall wraps. The small one is good for wall wrap edges of wall wraps or rivets or plastic nipples (where paint roller is completely useless)
I also have and used rollepro for 10 years and the smaller metal roller easily outperforms it. you can also attach it to a torch so you free up a hand

http://www.wraptools.com/Kenny-Calmans-Signature-Air-Wrangler-Large-Torch-Roller_p_170.html

http://www.wraptools.com/The-Hot-Shot-Big-Easy_p_66.html

I have used the hot show big easy with two heatguns attached it a game changer if you do a lot of textured wall wraps.

No, I am not kidding. The process is all about the heat not pressure. The 3M, Big Easy and RollePro rollers are too firm so you have to press hard to get in the deeper grooves. the foam paint rollers are soft and require less pressure to get into the recesses.

You can think whatever you want, I have used them all, so don't knock it until you try it. If you give it an honest shot you will do a better job in less time and waste a lot less energy with the foam paint rollers.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
No, I am not kidding. The process is all about the heat not pressure. The 3M, Big Easy and RollePro rollers are too firm so you have to press hard to get in the deeper grooves. the foam paint rollers are soft and require less pressure to get into the recesses.

You can think whatever you want, I have used them all, so don't knock it until you try it. If you give it an honest shot you will do a better job in less time and waste a lot less energy with the foam paint rollers.

Been there, done that. If you do a textured wall wrap with soft paint foam roller you would fail a 3m test immediately.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Been there, done that. If you do a textured wall wrap with soft paint foam roller you would fail a 3m test immediately.

Who cares. First of all I learned this from some of the best 3M preferred installers in the country. Second, It's about getting the job done properly. The heat is the key factor because the textured surface laminate is like the vac-form material. When you get it to the proper temperature it gets soft and the roller forms it into shape. When it cools it freezes in that shape, just like a pan face. The laminate counteracts the memory of the vinyl.

3M is in the business of selling their media, tools, and ideas. You can drink the cool-aid all you want, but the foam paint rollers work better. They can't withstand a direct extended blast from your heat gun like the $300 - $500 rollers, so you will need several extra rollers. Just keep the heat in front of and pointed sightly away from the foam. In reality it is the exact same technique used with the expensive rollers, you just can get lazy like you can with the more expensive ones.

P.S. Have you read the slip of paper that came with your RollePro (bottom of every page except, home)? You agree to only use it on 3M media... Is that because that the only material it works on?