• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The ART of it!

metalbykevin

I just want to say hello to every one!
Hello.
I am kevin Owner of METAL BY KEVIN INC saying hello from
JACKSON HOLE, WYOMING
I work and play in the ARTS every day!
From Glass fusing to Blacksmithing to ADA approved signs to Water Jet, Laser,Plasma,tig welding,brazing,spot welding,clay modeling.
WE make things that go into golf course sub divisions.
But only high end products.
STREET SIGNS, Interior signs with raster braille, Monument markers
TEE Box markers. Fireplace custom doors with scenery,
Birds,Moose,Fox,Cutthroat trout.lighting,
Anything that goes into these big homes after we finish the golf course.
What a life.
I have a four year plan to have a Gallery on my property for certain clients.
so that being said,
I am just getting into clip art and meeting vector artist.
And the power of the plotter.
What would be the best software,s to own and master to do all the work you would want to do with the vinyl plotter.I have a new Gerber plotter and
I want to master it to do even better work for our clients.
any suggestions on doing it right like what kind of computer and the spects
Software's,Schooling, any suggestions.
If anyone need's help please ask the questions I do not want to be cut out
boy or sticker boy. I like to cross reference trades and think out side the box to really be challenged and to separate myself from rest for my clients now ant my future clients. I am looking for great vector art mostly
wild life.Sandblast, in glass, stone, metal layering mixes metals or materials.
I just love to make fun quality stuff. So I need to master the full potential
and under stand the full capability's of the vinyl plotter willing to pay for tutoring or just share and grow together.
Please do not be put off, and please contact me a share with me What you are doing in your life. we can make all of our life's better while we are here,
That's my belief.
Kevin Davenport
Saying hello to all of you. Thank you.

G

gps-hi

Didn't the Gerber come with software? There are a host of vector drawing programs out there as well as some geared specifically toward plotting. Look at commercial programs such a Adobe Illustrator or Coreldraw, or signmaking application such as Flexi Sign, Sign Lab, or Sign Cut Pro. If possible use full or demo versions to "test drive" the ones that offer the features you want. I believe in working with what works best for you. People are different and the way they use software is different.

Each project you do will get you better. If you're slow, do some just for training or gifts for family and friends.

Most business class computers should handle vector drawing fairly well. The weak links in most prebuild systems are the video card and the amount of RAM.

You can find a variety of sources for vector clip art online. Start with the forum here and check out some of the merchant members' stuff.

Whatever you decide on, I wish you well and hope it all works out for you. Oh yeah, and welcome aboard.

Jillbeans

Welcome from PA.
Sounds like you have the job most little boys dream of-
Dangerous tools, working with metal, making pictures of fish and wildlife, playing with clay.
I'm jealous.
:)
Also sounds like you really love your work.
I would suggest Corel and aslo have you tried EZ Scuplt yet?
http://www.polygem.com/zoo/ezsculpt.php
Love....Jill

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA....

Is your plotter new or used? May want to find plotter driving software which is supported locally!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK. With that family name and part of the country, I would not be surprised if we were cousins...

There are many on here that can help you get some quality prints until you figure out what you will need. Getting some of your stuff made will also let you see the quality the different machines will produce. There is a lot to learn about printing.

Oh yes, I have done a lot of that stuff too. TIG(aluminum, magnesium, titanium, stainless...) Machine shop tools, Photography, auto mechanic...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Welcome to Signs 101.

For driving your PC2, my first suggestion would be to inquire with whomever you bought it from or your nearest Gerber distributor or with SummaUSA, who is the actual manufacturer of that plotter.

As previously mentioned, there are lots of choices for vector design.

You may also want to consider looking up Mike Jackson with Golden Era Studios. Mike is one of the most highly respected teacher/signcrafters in the industry and lived for many years in Jackson Hole ... although he currently lives in Jackson. He focused much of his portfolio on revivals of classic styles of sign work and also has an excellent clipart library available which he offers for sale.