• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Bad Wrap update

HulkSmash

Hey Colorado, after looking at his sample Lambo, it would appear you can simply export the mask and path into illustrator and use it there if you wanted. Are you familiar with PS enough to do that?

Are you familiar with design period? Didn't you hire someone to do your logo? Show me how you take a template from photoshop, and make it vector with changeable paths so i can layer in illustrator. Please show me. I use Pro vehicle outlines, which has proper vector templates. that actually fit vehicles i do wraps for. And yeah i know a thing or two about photoshop, i've taught classes in photoshop and illy. Let me know if you want some tips.

ive mentioned this before in another thread.. photoshop wraps are ugly.

jkdbjj

Are you familiar with design period? Didn't you hire someone to do your logo? Show me how you take a template from photoshop, and make it vector with changeable paths so i can layer in illustrator. Please show me. I use Pro vehicle outlines, which has proper vector templates. that actually fit vehicles i do wraps for. And yeah i know a thing or two about photoshop, i've taught classes in photoshop and illy. Let me know if you want some tips.

What is the tude for? Before I address your post let me say something to you and everyone else that is a regular on this site. I am new here so I don't know everyones skill set and likewise no one knows my skill set. I assume nothing about any of you.
Secondly, I have nothing but love for everyone and anyone. I'll help anyone I can with anything. So please know I would NEVER bag on anyone in here, even if they deserve it.

So Colorado my brother, and you are now my brother whether you like it or not. I wasn't taking a stab at you. I just saw you mentioned to Sergio about making an EPS option for the program.
All I was saying is the path of the design can be exported as a selection into illustrator. Some people are not familiar with that.

As far as my design skills, I SUCK at creative. However that is something entirely different than knowing how to use the CS suite. I have been using photoshop and illustrator since they started. Even still I can't design to save my bum. I have no problem admitting that. However, I have run circles around kids I've hired out of design school that don't know how to use the suite for real world scenarios.

I'm just here to learn and help out where I can. Sometimes typing can not convey intentions and maybe you thought I was poking at you, I dunno. I'm just trying to be part of the conversation.

HulkSmash

What is the tude for? Before I address your post let me say something to you and everyone else that is a regular on this site. I am new here so I don't know everyones skill set and likewise no one knows my skill set. I assume nothing about any of you.
Secondly, I have nothing but love for everyone and anyone. I'll help anyone I can with anything. So please know I would NEVER bag on anyone in here, even if they deserve it.

So Colorado my brother, and you are now my brother whether you like it or not. I wasn't taking a stab at you. I just saw you mentioned to Sergio about making an EPS option for the program.
All I was saying is the path of the design can be exported as a selection into illustrator. Some people are not familiar with that.

As far as my design skills, I SUCK at creative. However that is something entirely different than knowing how to use the CS suite. I have been using photoshop and illustrator since they started. Even still I can't design to save my bum. I have no problem admitting that. However, I have run circles around kids I've hired out of design school that don't know how to use the suite for real world scenarios.

I'm just here to learn and help out where I can. Sometimes typing can not convey intentions and maybe you thought I was poking at you, I dunno. I'm just trying to be part of the conversation.

I love you too

GB2

Old Member
Sergio, can you give us a brief description regarding your plans with this software? You said you purchased it back last month, will you be coming out with a complete new version of the program? You said that you are tweaking things but will you be coming out with new current vehicle templates and continuing to develop and support the program in the future? Where does this leave past owners of the program now? I own a 2006 premium collection version, which I purchased directly from you at the USSC show but as we know the program support declined drastically after you gave up control. What can I hope to do with my version now?

Sergio DeSoto

I want to hear both sides of this.
I took at the Lambo template & it seems too big at (14,500px x 4,700px) to be used just as a guide that will not seen/used in the final print file.

wayne k
guam usa

Wayne,
ALL of our templates are set up at 10% 720 dpi. There is a very long complicated mathematical reason for this but I won't bore you with the details. However it came about after working with Adobe's large format team to in essence cheat photoshop into scaling smaller images in a larger format.

If you take your "image size" and move the decimal over to the right 1 space and change the dpi to 72 you will see the actual size of the template in "inches" you will find that this is the exact size of a real life Lambo.

Sergio

Sergio DeSoto

Sergio, can you give us a brief description regarding your plans with this software? You said you purchased it back last month, will you be coming out with a complete new version of the program? You said that you are tweaking things but will you be coming out with new current vehicle templates and continuing to develop and support the program in the future? Where does this leave past owners of the program now? I own a 2006 premium collection version, which I purchased directly from you at the USSC show but as we know the program support declined drastically after you gave up control. What can I hope to do with my version now?

Gary,
Great questions.
1. Plans are to rebuild it to be a trusted source for designers to get jobs designed quickly and accurately. Believe me I know there are some trust issues and those take time to rebuild.
2. 4 things here, 1 we are adding panel guidelines so you know where we would cut the file up for a seamless install, we are adding the vehicle info with measurements from the manufacturer in the form of a ready to use pre inspection form, we are templating each trim package for all new cars ( meaning you will be designing on your clients vehicle and trim package, just incase there are differences i.e. a hood scoop.) and we are including the RGB factory paint codes for partial wrap design.
3. introductory prices are going up tomorrow. email me for a special code that will get you updates for 1 year for 120.00 The new price will be much higher.
4. Yes we are planning to support this product and lessons learned, I will be here for the long term with The Bad Wrap.

admin@thebadwrap.com

hope this answers your questions.

Sergio DeSoto

I think its awesome that there is diversity on this site and people are allowed to speak freely. Fred has done a good job of fostering that.

I do want to say most of the wrap designers I know strictly use photoshop with illustrator as an element design tool then drop the elements into photoshop. I am also here to learn and if there is an easy way to design with vector templates let us know, Ill post it up on the designer resource page because they do have templates we will never make. Its always good to have as many tools as possible at your disposal to get the job done.

Sergio

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Have a question or two.... I have the link you emailed me for existing owners which gives me 2 options. 2012 only, full access to 2012 and all older templates (the full one also give a second option to pay a full year for an additional discount).

If ones goes for the full deal - is this just making the same templates we already have available for downloading or are all old templates being revised? I realize much effort is being dedicated to adding new templates so my worry there is I buy in for a year but not much of the old stuff I already have gets updated (due to all the effort in adding new) which makes the full deal not so great of a deal.

I see on the main site you mentioned new pricing coming tomorrow. Is this going to be higher than the existing owner options available today? I also see that you are asking exsiting owners to send in their hard drives or dvd's which will be donated. Is this a requirement? Further discounts if this is done?

Third - I'd think most would agree that the hard drive versions have the most value since we essentially got a decent 500GB external hard drive which has plenty of free space to also store other files like stock design elements, etc. If I remember right I think the hard drive version also was the most expensive. I feel therefore owners of this version should get a different discount. Even beyond that the DVD version the past couple of years had drastic price changes last year DVD $795.99, this year $395.00.

Not trying to make things over complicated but some folks have a lot more invested than others.

Edit to add - I also forgot. Not totally sure but I think the smallish add on program "The Wrapulator" was associated with The Bad Wrap. While a bit limited it was and still is handy for quickly figuring square footage for the limited selection of vehicles is has in it. Any idea if The Wrapulator is dead or even going to get updated with additional vehicles?

signswi

Name and save the paths in Photoshop, assign them as clips if you want. When you import into Illustrator, use the advanced import options and you can get those paths to come into Illustrator as editable paths / clipping paths.

I prefer .eps templates and work mostly in Illustrator for this type of thing but no need to get all nuts about Photoshop. There are a million things you can do in PS (advanced lighting effects, for one big example) that you can't in AI and vise versa, use the tool that's appropriate for the need of the particular graphic element.

MatthewTimothy

In regards to what other have said in old design templates being smaller than they are, is this issue changed on the new release and what is the support on it??

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
signswi said:
Really though I could make a case that working in that fashion should be done in InDesign not Illustrator as you have better color control and export--layering in both the PS and AI elements into the overall graphic--but I also like opening cans of worms.

Illustrator and InDesign are governed by the same color engine. Illustrator can also bring in layered Photoshop artwork; although I sometimes have to print such artwork using PDF rather than EPS. Roland VersaWorks supports that. I would only use InDesign for a vehicle wrap if the wrap had text passages that needed more advanced control. I could only see such a case happening if lots of paragraph text was used as some sort of background texture. Illustrator has more tools for creating vector graphics.

I'll sometimes use Photoshop to create the final files for printing a vehicle wrap. However, I always start with CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for creating all the text, graphical shapes, etc. Photoshop is far too limited at that sort of thing. I just paste the finished paths into Photoshop, select the paths and do whatever I want to the resulting selections.

HulkSmash

I think its awesome that there is diversity on this site and people are allowed to speak freely. Fred has done a good job of fostering that.

I do want to say most of the wrap designers I know strictly use photoshop with illustrator as an element design tool then drop the elements into photoshop. I am also here to learn and if there is an easy way to design with vector templates let us know, Ill post it up on the designer resource page because they do have templates we will never make. Its always good to have as many tools as possible at your disposal to get the job done.

Sergio

Sergio,

I agree with you on some parts. Most, Sign Makers, or "Wrap designers" in today's industry are self taught. And have no idea how to utilize both programs. Most stick to one- Photoshop. They love the effects and what not. In my opinion most are cheesy. One of the most revered wrap designers in my opinion is Dan A. His stuff is top notch, and not once has his stuff entered into Photoshop.

Can you HONESTLY say these 2 wraps are quality photoshop designs?

attachment.php
attachment.php

You can look through here - http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-vehicle-advertising#1 to see what i mean by illustrator having more of an impact with professionalism.

as i said before photoshop is a great program to work in harmony with illustrator. the eps templates are dead on....and we rarely have to adjust.

Attachments

• hummer-sample.jpg
    hummer-sample.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 1548521267479852.jpg
    1548521267479852.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 125

Sergio DeSoto

In regards to what other have said in old design templates being smaller than they are, is this issue changed on the new release and what is the support on it??

Matt,
I'm not quite sure what your asking? If you are referring to some of the old templates being off, this has been fixed. As far as support, we are here to help you with that.

Let me know if I missed something.

Sergio

HulkSmash

Though.. i'm not going to lie, i did just finish doing a full wrap in photoshop!
Love how it turned out .... guess it's just easier doing it in a box.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 430290_380676411949890_151452451538955_1674361_655287351_n.jpg
    430290_380676411949890_151452451538955_1674361_655287351_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 164

signswi

Illustrator and InDesign are governed by the same color engine. Illustrator can also bring in layered Photoshop artwork; although I sometimes have to print such artwork using PDF rather than EPS. Roland VersaWorks supports that. I would only use InDesign for a vehicle wrap if the wrap had text passages that needed more advanced control. I could only see such a case happening if lots of paragraph text was used as some sort of background texture. Illustrator has more tools for creating vector graphics.

I'll sometimes use Photoshop to create the final files for printing a vehicle wrap. However, I always start with CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for creating all the text, graphical shapes, etc. Photoshop is far too limited at that sort of thing. I just paste the finished paths into Photoshop, select the paths and do whatever I want to the resulting selections.

I was mostly stirring the pot. I know they're the same color engine, InDesign has better controls and access to that engine in some ways. I would realistically never use it for a wrap. We're an all PDF/X workflow anyway though :).

Colorado I get what you're arguing -- that designers who are stuck in Photoshop only mode aren't going to produce really excellent work. Same goes for designers stuck in Illustrator only mode (which tends to happen among designers fresh out of school). You can find examples on both sides of the argument but it's not really an argument about the tools themselves, only the tools using them ;).

HulkSmash

I was mostly stirring the pot. I know they're the same color engine, InDesign has better controls and access to that engine in some ways. I would realistically never use it for a wrap. We're an all PDF/X workflow anyway though :).

Colorado I get what you're arguing -- that designers who are stuck in Photoshop only mode aren't going to produce really excellent work. Same goes for designers stuck in Illustrator only mode (which tends to happen among designers fresh out of school).

tell that to dan...

Sergio DeSoto

Sergio,

I agree with you on some parts. Most, Sign Makers, or "Wrap designers" in today's industry are self taught. And have no idea how to utilize both programs. Most stick to one- Photoshop. They love the effects and what not. In my opinion most are cheesy. One of the most revered wrap designers in my opinion is Dan A. His stuff is top notch, and not once has his stuff entered into Photoshop.

Can you HONESTLY say these 2 wraps are quality photoshop designs?

attachment.php
attachment.php

You can look through here - http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-vehicle-advertising#1 to see what i mean by illustrator having more of an impact with professionalism.

as i said before photoshop is a great program to work in harmony with illustrator. the eps templates are dead on....and we rarely have to adjust.

I love this! Lets make sure we are all on the same page and discussing the same thing to make the terms equal.

Artwork- Can be created either via raster or vector formats. Agreed?

Design- This is objectionably judged based on ones experience, knowledge and

skill set. To the laymen both of those may or may not be good design however amongst professionals the bar is higher. Agreed?

Skill- An artist with skill can design in microsoft paint and do a better job than someone without skill working in photoshop, illustrator, corel, flexi etc. Agreed?

That being said- The examples you showed me were great/ awesome/ outstanding designs that are vector based but... created at the hand of a very skilled artist whom I would be willing to bet, if he wanted to could kick arse in photoshop as well.

PH_Car__Page_1.jpg

This example is arguably a good raster design.

http://www.coroflot.com/bradzilla/portfolio - Another great example of an Artist who designs primarily in photoshop.

This one took best of show in one of the sign mags-
http://www.thewrapshoppe.com/car-wraps-photos/the_wrap_shoppe/car_wraps/_DSC0529_for web (1).jpg#

all photoshop based.
And last but not least- This is a girl in Tucson who makes most of us look like crayon artists in illustrator.

http://lifeinvector.com/vectors/

Good design is good design. Photoshop VS illustrator is like saying Tyson VS Tito Ortiz or maybe like saying Micheal Angelo VS Micheal Jackson.

It all boils down to what is going to make you the most productive artist, make your clients phone ring and provide an honest living for you and your employees.

At the end of the day I have personally seen clients demand garbage designs and pay a ton for it and leave happier than a pig in (*&!.

You will never hear me bash Mr. Clip art or PVO or anyone else for that matter, if you work in photoshop and want a great template ill help you out. If not no worries I will still help if I can. I personally suggest you have as many tools as possible.

Once again, I truly respect your opinion and your thoughts on the matter are most certainly relevant!

That was a mouthful... Back to work.

Respectfully,

Sergio

Last edited by a moderator:

signswi

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they both are using Illustrator because it fits their design style, not because they're stuck in it. :thumb:

Way to insult them guys!