• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The best banner material?

NSDdesigns

Is there a banner material out there that I can just print to, pop in some rivets and call it a day? What the best? How does it hold up in the elements?

I need something that I can print to directly and have it be outdoors for various motoring and recreational events, we it will be exposed to the elements from time to time.

Who makes this material? Its it around? Does it need to be covered or in something or laminated to seal it?

Thanks!!

jmb474

There are a lot of different banner materials out there that you can print directly to.

rjssigns

JetFlex 13oz. It is all we use for our clients.
We do work for other shops and print on all kinds of banner because they supply client specific material. Our Roland just bangs it out no matter what we feed it. Knock wood we have never had a bad roll of JetFlex. Can't say the same for other products that were brought to us.

NSDdesigns

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys.

So you just are printing to the material and its good to hang? Any after print prep or conditioning that needs to be done? I will be using my Roland that has ecosolvent inks. This going to be an issue?

Also, I've noticed that a lot of these are only sold in wide wide rolls. Right now my width is only 30".

jfiscus

Rap Master
Your printer will be able to print on MANY different types of banner materials. Check out the catalogs from all of your suppliers for what banner products you would like to start stocking.

We usually have 13oz Gloss & Matte & a 15oz Super smooth in stock at all times. Different products/customers/applications call for different types of material. (same as vinyl)

You will need to buy a grommet machine & grommets (also in your suppliers catalogs). I recommend Hiker brand, but most of the others are fine too, and get some double-sided banner hem tape. I do not like the Oracal hem tape personally.

There is no need to laminate a banner. Banners are supposed to be temporary signage (like coroplast signs), but I have had a few that have been out in the weather for years now. The Solvent inks in your Roland will last quite a while outdoors.

Never fold a banner, always roll face-in once it is finished.

anotherdog

Are you asking is there a material you can hang outdoors with no other finishing than grommet?

Quick answer is no... however if you are a betting man you can take a risk. We do banners for 1 and 2 day events we will "risk" the elements and just cut n grommet. Any decent wind or even a breeze and things will go to ruin fast.

Most times for any exposure to weather all banner will fail without reinforcement. You are basically hanging up a sail.

allamericantrade

For Temporary Banners, 13 oz. Material with grommets only can be done if installed on a smooth flat surface and a little to no wind area. Not Recommended Other than that You will need to fold the edges, we use banner tape here, before grommetting. It is a much better job and you want your customers returning for the quality than getting the word out that your product is cheap junk.

10sacer

Seriously... I have banners at baseball stadiums, churches, schools and dozens of other places that I just print, tape hem and grommet and most have been out for at least 2 years with not one failure. Every now and again an uneducated client will request wind slits and I will oblige - but not necessary. (For debate on this topic - do a search in the forums).

I use 13 oz. gloss or matte Key Banner from Grimco mostly, but have also used Elite Banner, Pinnacle, Peak, FDC, Koma, and Zeelon and all have worked fine.

For avenue banners we use 18 oz. For overhead walkways we use 15 oz.

If I want to reinforce the grommet - we will use webbing or put a 2" square of HDPE between the banner material and grommet on the back. HDPE is a non-tearable plastic - kinda looks like styrene, but a gorilla couldn't tear it.

You can get 24" rolls of material, but will only be able to make a 22" banner as you need 1" on each side for hems. Key banner comes in 30" rolls so you could make a 24' banner with no issues.

NSDdesigns

Whats all this latex talk? I've read it in multiple posts, still lost on it. Is that referring to a type of ink?

signswi

It means there's a black layer between the two printable layers to prevent you from seeing what's printed on the other side when there's light behind the banner.

There's also blockout (blackout) vinyl, etc.

J

john1

Pretty much any 13oz banner will fit your customers just fine. Ultraflexx FL (front lit) is what i use and i like it. Print, trim, hem tape and grommet. Collect cash.