• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the dreaded double cut

gabagoo

I wish there was something in the software to alert you to this strange phenomenon. I ran a print cut job today where I had a lot of unused vinyl so decided to nest a bunch of other print cut items in the space. When I went to cut them it cut the main graphic that I needed once and then cut all the small logos and then started cutting them again, but only the small logos I nested in the file. Afterwards I still had the original print file on screen and thought that I would delete the cutline thinking that one would remain...nope, nothing. I checked and it could not be ungrouped or uncompounded either, so I sit here trying to figure out how it cut them twice? Need a fix for this!! It happens far too often.

rvolkers

go into all all paths and layers and check if a cut line is hidden
this happens a lot!

if using illustrator
use a .25 cut line - (i use color cymk green as a spot) color name CutContour and make sure on a separate layer the layer also CutContour

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Astute Graphics' Vector First Aid plugin for Adobe Illustrator is pretty good at spotting (and eliminating) duplicate paths. Often it's a side effect of imported PDF artwork. Duplicate paths and other paths that have no fill or stroke are common in that scenario.

Z SIGNS

This happens if there is an outline on the letter. Do an experiment. Send something with an outline and the same graphic without and see if that's the problem.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ever since I started using Gerber Omega, I no longer have that problem (used to use SignLab).

JB

Bill DiStasio

I wish there was something in the software to alert you to this strange phenomenon. I ran a print cut job today where I had a lot of unused vinyl so decided to nest a bunch of other print cut items in the space. When I went to cut them it cut the main graphic that I needed once and then cut all the small logos and then started cutting them again, but only the small logos I nested in the file. Afterwards I still had the original print file on screen and thought that I would delete the cutline thinking that one would remain...nope, nothing. I checked and it could not be ungrouped or uncompounded either, so I sit here trying to figure out how it cut them twice? Need a fix for this!! It happens far too often.
Have you tried separating the contour cut?

gabagoo

Have you tried separating the contour cut?
Yes, I have tried everything but it appears to be a single line. I zoomed in as close as possible and switched to nodes and there is just one shape. I know the original file was an eps that came from illustrator. I have never seen something like this before.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
In signlab it was called a thick line and there was a setting for it. If a shape had an outline it would see the inside and outside of the line and cut both whether it was filled or not. This is different from the print cut outline I believe.

The most frustrating thing is when you get interrupted while duplicating a shape in corel, then you get to go back and find the all the doubles or deal with the deep hairline cuts.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Open image, ungroup everything, delete all cut lines, do it twice because who ever put the original cut line on got distracted and did it twice.
Put new cut line on in a different color. This will fix your problem.
Remember when grouping multiple images all cut lines should be the same color and images will cut in order of being placed.