• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Fisherman

RycckG

There tells the story of an older man who every day goes to his favorite fishing location. He is sitting on the bank of a secluded large lake catching nice fish which he will take home to his wife which she will prepare for dinner. One day he is approached by a younger well-dressed business man. The young man tells the older fisherman, that he has watched him from afar for years as he trudged in and out of the lake access trail. He sees the fisherman come to the lake every morning, he sits for several hours and nearly always returns with a catch. The younger man asks the fisherman if he has a job. The fisherman says, “This is my job”. My wife is a great cook in our town. I bring home a few fish and she prepares them for us or trades a tempting fish dinner for other meals that others in our town prepare. The young man nods his head, indicating he understands, but suggests that the older man might consider a loan to buy a boat to catch even more fish. What would I do with a boat load of fish, snickers the old man. Well, you could keep a few and sell the rest to others in the town. With the additional income, you could hire a local fisherman to work for you on your boat. After some time, you would likely be able to buy a second boat, and a third and eventually you would have a fleet of boats all fishing for you. Before long you would have lots of money. What would I do with lots of money, laughed the old man? Oh my, you could retire and never have to work again. Well that is appealing to never have to work again; I could take time and do all the things I like. “ There you go”, cheered the young man, “what do you like to do”, he asked? “I really like to fish” said the older man… “ I guess I could sit on this bank and fish every day, if I retired….”

artbot

i love this story. retiring sounds like years of complete boredom. i watched my grandfather retire and wasn't pretty. he was miserable.

Spud Murphy

I worked as a helper on a truck in Ireland for about a week. I was sitting there ranting about being stuck in city traffic once and the older dude driver said to me-"While you are stuck in Dublin traffic I'm having a nice drive through the countryside".

Latigo

Yeah, my Dad retired about 4 years ago now but he's still up at 4am every morning and heading for town and the studio. He doesn't get paid any longer but he's still there helping with artwork and doing negotiating with bids till after noon.

Great story.

Si Allen

Latigo ... the only way to stop that Old Man is to hit him in the head with an axe!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Latigo

Or the butt end of a rifle! :Big Laugh But he'd probably get up and ask what kind of a group he'd gotten. :Cool 2:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
That is why I am at the shop every weekday morning at 7am.

I would like to do something different one week every third month or so but overall I can't imagine a better way to spend my life.

My wife tells me she loves me.

I am a lucky fellow. :thankyou:

Last edited:

ProWraps

I would like to do something different one week every third month or so but overall I can't image a better way to spend my life.

thats an even better story. :goodpost:

Craig Sjoquist

So I ride my Bicycle, sell sign work mostly done by hand, hire a friend if truck is needed, pay the bills with some gains, and most of all happy.

Yes the sign industry is great, so is sign 101 for and other forums sure wish this was around 36 years ago and hope to get another 36 years of hand lettering sign, graphics etc.

RycckG

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero – "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future",
-Horace

I would like to do something different one week every third month or so but overall I can't image a better way to spend my life.

Wow, for what its worth, I think Red Ball has it figured out, too.... very nice

Gene@mpls

i love this story. retiring sounds like years of complete boredom. i watched my grandfather retire and wasn't pretty. he was miserable.

I retired two years ago and cut back to 60 hours a week. It is what you make it. My dad used to say 'it's a great life if you don't weaken'- never
could figure out WTH that meant.