• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the future of graphic design

gabagoo

AI.... customer sent me a file...a 3" x 3" label generated by AI. eps file 32 meg...Took Signlab a while to open it. I thought for sure this was a bitmap saved at extreme resolution but it was not. Completely vectored. The redraw took a couple minutes and the design is pretty impressive. Each shade of colour was a vectored shape. Colour pallet was at over 5000 colours. I can say that I was impressed but also a little worried about what this means for future files coming in. I can't deal with load times like that lol

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 222

DL Signs

Never go against the family
It can do it, but artwork generated by AI isn't concerned about anything but what you tell it, file sizes, colors used, whether they fall into a printer's gamut, editability, whether you have a computer that will handle it larger than a 3x3", none of it means anything to it. For the person plugging in the commands, they can go as far overboard as they want, creating massively huge, complex, and difficult files to work with. Most at the keyboard don't understand vector or raster, CMYK or RGB, so you never know what you're dealing with when they send it to you for printing, most of the time it'll probably end up raster by the time you get it (you got lucky). We're all getting some crazy s**t to deal with, and it's just the beginning. Think Canva was bad? Wait till the average moron starts using this so they can call themselves a designer.

gabagoo

It can do it, but artwork generated by AI isn't concerned about anything but what you tell it, file sizes, colors used, whether they fall into a printer's gamut, editability, whether you have a computer that will handle it larger than a 3x3", none of it means anything to it. For the person plugging in the commands, they can go as far overboard as they want, creating massively huge, complex, and difficult files to work with. Most at the keyboard don't understand vector or raster, CMYK or RGB, so you never know what you're dealing with when they send it to you for printing, most of the time it'll probably end up raster by the time you get it (you got lucky). We're all getting some crazy s**t to deal with, and it's just the beginning. Think Canva was bad? Wait till the average moron starts using this so they can call themselves a designer.
Canva should be banished from the earth...horrible files to deal with

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I can't stand Canva. It's a new source of trouble on top of all the other usual factors that make for bad customer provided art files. The app is marketed with the implied pitch that it doesn't require any talent or technical know-how to do graphic design work. Just hop in our app and we'll hold your beer.

The SVG files exported by Canva are usually just garbage. Earlier this week a client gave us 22 SVG files exported from Canva to use for printing a bunch of banners. The files looked one way when dropped into a web browser. But they did all kinds of unpredictable stuff when opened in Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. I tried rasterizing one of the SVGs in Photoshop. The colors and effects came in looking correct, but all the clipping masks on various elements were discarded.

I end up getting dragged into using Canva to help clients trouble-shoot issues and be able to export something we can use. The only thing I've found that is print-able is the "PDF for Print" download option under the Share button menu. The PDF files are not very edit-friendly; certainly not like opening a PDF generated by Adobe Illustrator. I have no desire to get a paid Canva account.

As for "AI" it can sometimes generate some interesting things. But it's like playing a slot machine. The results are random. And there is usually some odd-looking features in the results. Some of the stuff can actually be disturbing.