• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The most fun I have ever been on an install...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So I'll admit it's been a while since I have been on a cut vinyl install, but when I got the opportunity to go on one, I jumped at the chance! Gigi asked me if I wanted to come play on a retail storefront and vehicle. I thought what a great chance to see another 101er in action. I have already seen her in action before on a digital print and we sometimes work together on design stuff, but this was down and dirty cut vinyl. We have talked about setting up files to weeding and masking techniques (we don't play all the time, we actually get work done)

I grab my Weber Made masker and head to her shop!

I get there, she gets to work setting up the files and starts cutting. And we share how we set up files. We cut the vinyl (okay she does) and we start weeding in her shop... very impressive by the way for a home shop. I get to see her nice rack of course, I even get to touch it. She shows me her weeding technique, I show her mine, then the fun part, using the Weber Made masker... then, steamrolling method of masking and then setting up the vinyl for install.

We load up the car with her tools and head out... to lunch

After spending way too much time at lunch we head out to the job. And start slapping vinyl on stuff. I'm showing her my way of applying while she is handing me tools like I'm a surgeon, but in my mind I'm desperately trying not to screw it up. We made a few mistakes and picked on each other, mostly who was in charge (umm, she was) Then had to go back and re-cut a section and go back and apply that part.

So what are the lessons learned?
--- It's fun with another person.
--- When not doing installs for a long time, lock your tools or someone is gonna get to them and it won't be there on install time.
--- Buy fresh tape.
--- Test the torch before trying.
--- Decide who's the boss.
--- Razzle dazzle each other with your impressive skills.
--- We are not young anymore, be careful on the ladder!!!
--- Candy is NOT enough nourishment for handling sharp knives and sign installation work
--- Next time take pics of the job!
--- Picking on each other is way more fun than being all business but try not to look like a comedy team when the client is watching. (we might have failed that one)

I hope she lets me play with her again soon!

binki

:popcorn:

I love work, I can watch it all day...

:popcorn:

I do like the narrative of the work environment. Pictures would have been great.

binki

Since we hired a person in our shop he pretty much does all of our vinyl work. We have one job coming up I will be doing myself since it is a charity job and I don't want to pay labor for it. I will remember why I hired someone to do this at that time.

Rick

Since we hired a person in our shop he pretty much does all of our vinyl work. We have one job coming up I will be doing myself since it is a charity job and I don't want to pay labor for it. I will remember why I hired someone to do this at that time.

LOL... well for some reason I've been wanting to go on an install for a while. I don't think I can do a full wrap on a bus, but it was nice getting out of the office and laying a chunk of vinyl down.

binki

Yeah, I am looking forward to it. It is basic lettering on a storefront window, split 4 times (4 panes make the window) but it will have it's challenges as I will have to get on an 8 foot ladder that will be sitting on bark chunks over dirt. There is also limited parking so I will either have to go early in the morning to get a spot in front of the place or do it at night.

Rick

Gigi may, or may not have a comment on an alleged incident with a ladder on dirt... in the dark

iSign

congrats on a job well... err,
well... um..
DONE!

:rock-n-roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

GypsyGraphics

first let me say.... you can come play along ANYTIME RICK, I HAD SUCH A BLAST!

awww look how nice you are not saying who really messed up the part that had to be re-cut.
trying to decide if i should embarrass myself and say how i messed up, it was pretty darn funny... i'm sure it looked like slap stick to anyone who might have seen.

it may have been years since you done "down & dirty".... but man was i impressed! i'm adopting EVERY technique you showed me!

masking was the only part of vinyl work that i hated. i'm always in search of the easiest fastest wrinkle-free method. thanks for bringing your Weber Made Masker for me to try out.... it was awesome. i love not having to actually handle a tool while masking. although, it's bit pricy for me right now, so i'll just be stealing yours from time to time.

So what are the lessons learned?
--- It's fun with another person.

--- i knew it would be like playtime if you came along
--- When not doing installs for a long time, lock your tools or someone is gonna get to them and it won't be there on install time.
--- moving all my good tools to the locking cabinet today!
--- Buy fresh tape.
--- ok, but you know it'll totally spoil that portion of the comedy routine
--- Test the torch before trying.
--- surely you can see why i'm not allowed to play with fire
--- Decide who's the boss.
--- i did decide! it's meeeeeeeee
--- Razzle dazzle each other with your impressive skills.
--- always use your Bill Murray voice when saying Raaaazzle Daaaaazzle
--- We are not young anymore, be careful on the ladder!!!
--- speak for yourself, my dismount from the ladder was acrobatic, a 9.9
--- (oh and ummmmmm..... thanks for catching me)
--- Candy is NOT enough nourishment for handling sharp knives and sign installation work
--- wait what.... it's not?
--- Next time take pics of the job!
--- i took a few of you wielding my torch, when i was suppose to be using the phone to provide light. some people never do as their told :tongue:
--- Picking on each other is way more fun than being all business but try not to look like a comedy team when the client is watching. (we might have failed that one)
--- why do you think i asked you if you wanted to play along?
IF IT'S NOT FUN, I HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING IT!
we totally NAAAAAAAILED IT... fails and all!

GypsyGraphics

Gigi may, or may not have a comment on an alleged incident with a ladder on dirt... in the dark
ummmmm... it wasn't because of the ladder was on dirt (although it was).
:note to self, never wear your zumba pants on a ladder:

Last edited:

skyhigh

sounds like a blast. Glad you had fun Rick. Although Designing is fun, it great to get out in the field too.

The fresh air....the candy and good company......ahhh, Livin the Dream

GypsyGraphics

i'm feeling like i'm back in action again! and thanks, in no small part, from working with you! it's great to have someone to bounce ideas off of, talk shop with and learn from. kinda like what i always did virtually here on Signs 101… but lost sight of when things started to slow down. the idea of working together to get our mojo back was a GREAT one!

as much fun as it was though… i really did learn so much from taking those jobs from start to finish with another s101'er.

in fact, Tim and i had recently been discussing layering and masking methods.... and it turned out we had similar layering techniques and he did a short demo of the masking tool he uses. i'm a pretty visual person, i like to watch :tongue: so i love seeing how others do stuff.
what i didn't think to tell Tim is i have a technique for fixing a boo boo, say a letter that gets lost in the weeding process... that as it turns out is the same technique that Rick sometimes uses for layering at the time of install!

i don't know why it never occurred to me to apply the technique to laying colors..... but i'll sure be using it now, cuz it worked out GREAT!

and as much as i love the tools you and tim use for masking… i'm really liking the "steam rolling" method you showed me.

oh….oooooh and your hinging and taping technique and using the tare away tape for alignment….
so simple, yet sooooo FLIPP'N BRILLIANT!!!!

GypsyGraphics

OH... speaking of TIM... see the "LOVE gg" iPhone case in my new profile pic? that came from TIM!
i had him do several different ones for me... thanks Tim, i LOVE em!