• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Price of Things

Craig Sjoquist

MY DRAFT DARK BEER WENT UP A DOLLAR even during happy hour waaaaaawaaaaa lol lol

You younger people ought to be buying oil stocks. to combat against inflation on oil.

Locals Find!

Didn't say you were. I was just commenting on your fessin' up there, Addie. Nothing at all of how you run your business.

However, if you're finding it hard to justify buying a jar of peanut butter or some meat....... perhaps you're going to the wrong stores for your groceries.

For what it's worth, we grow a lot of food on our own land and can for the most part control what's going in it. At the end of the season, the Goddess will can and cook things off and freeze much of it for use all winter long. We are now just using up the ends of most of last year's harvest. We buy much of our meats from local butchers, fish from a well trusted guy and about the only thing we buy at a regular grocery store is popsicles, paper products and some odds & ends. After that, we occasionally eat something out, but we’re very careful of where and how the place prepares the food. I don’t think we eat at a fast food place more than 4 times a year….. if that. :munchie:

It’s all how you prioritize. Don’t let your kids dictate what they want to eat…. Feed them healthy food and you control what goes into their mouths instead of buying based on sugar content or price.

Try watching Dr Oz a time or two and catch up on how you can help your family eat…. And eat well, instead of complaining about it.

I feed them very health foods. They get the best foods I can find available. Lots of fresh fruits vegetables and frozen veggies vs. canned for times when certain veggies are out of season. Better cuts of meat etc. I strive to make sure the salts & sugars are kept to a minimum. They don't get much candy or cookies from me. Grandma supplies that garbage so its inside tolerable levels for kids.

I honestly wish we could grow our own food here. However, being in a city especially in Florida its a bit more difficult. Not enough land or decent soil.

I actually envy you having the land to be able to grow on. As a kid growing up we raised chickens, pigs, cows, goats, geese, turkeys, ducks you just about name it we had it. Along with good vegetables. Grew up eating all that fresh food. Now, well just not available as an option.

I do the best I can with what I can lay my hands on. Just sucks when you have to cut out a trip to the movies just to compensate for the rise in prices lately. While everyone demands I lower my prices. I really just get annoyed with it all some days. This thread just let me vent some frustration off.

Mosh

Farmers win again! Up yours to everyone who calls us fly-over part of the US!!!!!
Bean and Corn prices are at record highs so us farmers are reaping the windfall!!!! those comm prices effect everything you eat from cheese to meat. BTW thank You!

The biggest reason is the Ethanol they add to gas, alot of farmers went to corn cause these eth plants pay more for the corn, now less corn on the market to feed cows and less soybeans grown make the bean prices go up, cause less soybeans are planted. I only plant soybean so don't blame me. Good time to be a farmer, beans were $5 a bush in 1996 when I started now I just sold some for $16. THANK YOU!

wildside

mosh is correct!

Farming and field practices through the central states will affect food prices more than oil prices, but oil is easy to blame.

This area is a somewhat strong economy, not like we always here on the east and west coasts. Around here, if the fields are doing good, people are spending money. We hit the farmers markets here every weekend and get things alot cheaper and better quality than anything ever processed and shoved on a shelf.

never honk and yell and flip off a slow moving tractor on the road, one kansas farm feeds 141 people and you!

HaroldDesign

Meat has really gone up, while the quality of beef has really gone down. About a month ago I went in on a 1/2 corn-fed cow. WELL worth the $!!!! Great quality at a lower price, and I have plenty of beef on hand!

TheSnowman

Yea, I'm gonna start farming and only charge $10/bushel instead. Then I can lowball all the other farmers out. (Even though I know that's not how it works) Oh wait...no they aren't dumb enough to do that...every other industry RAISES prices together.

btropical.com

We are riding scooters and walking to work , we also buy everything in bulk as far as chix,steak,gr beef for the taco shop . We have kept our Taco joint prices at Festival levels , we can't go down or it we would be losing $$$$ I would make my own booze if it where a legal here in Florida to offset these growing challenges in time/economy .

Ghost Prophet

We are riding scooters and walking to work , we also buy everything in bulk as far as chix,steak,gr beef for the taco shop . We have kept our Taco joint prices at Festival levels , we can't go down or it we would be losing $$$$ I would make my own booze if it where a legal here in Florida to offset these growing challenges in time/economy .

If you don't need it to be bottled, I'm sure you can buy kegs from someone who brews their own (there are a lot of brewers clubs). Odd that it's not legal to make your own in FL, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to buy it from another state. :p