• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Printer on Tonight's Shark Tank….

GypsyGraphics

Tonight's Shark Tank isn't a rerun, yet there's a guy with a printer claiming to have a patent on a set-up that enables him to print directly onto shoes, like Converse and Van's, and therefore the ONLY guy doing this. But I saw what looked like the same set-up at the Long Beach NBM Show, nearly 3 years ago.

Directly from the AVE venice website: "Prior to The Ave opening in 2010, we spent endless hours inventing a process the custom shoe market has never been seen before."

The kid has zero business sense and his business model seems to be ripe for, or possibly even built on copyright infringement. He talks about people bringing in pictures of anything they want and having it printed on their shoes. Even mentioned printing the images of customer's tattoos. Aren't tattoos original artwork?

Anyway, the sharks didn't bite… but they never even hit on what I thought some of the hot points would be.

Christian @ 2CT Media

hmm... whats funny is every description I can find on their printer is that its a mechanical process similar to airbrushing, I wonder what they came up with?

GypsyGraphics

he says it's a digital garment printer and that the costs is 55k
claims they're the only one's doing this..... ridiculous!

photo.jpg

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Italian wrapped kicks.
Extra cheap - no printer needed.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• duct_vans.jpg
    duct_vans.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 76

GypsyGraphics

dye sub. old news.

which would make sense if this was a rerun... but it's not, it's from 2012.
he's claiming to be the only one doing this and that he's the one who modified the printer (in 2010) to be able to print the shoes.... and that he has the panted.

binki

Just watch the 2 min clip. This guy didn't invent anything as far as I can see. It's a brother printer and he fab'd a platen to hold a shoe.

It is great he got on the show though.

jkdbjj

I'm with Watson, am I missing a growing market segment?

Are advertising now paying people to brand there shoes? I've heard of mortgage companies allowing a tenant to wrap their house to pay the mortgage. So who knows!

GypsyGraphics

CheapVehicleWrap said:
GG's got like 750 pairs she wants to pimp out.

ugh... Cheap, were you on my closet trying to squeeze your big feet into my shoes again?
And FYI... CFMP's, by definition, don't need no pimp'n.

The kid has zero business sense and his business model seems to be ripe for, or possibly even built on copyright infringement. He talks about people bringing in pictures of anything they want and having it printed on their shoes. Even mentioned printing the images of customer's tattoos. Aren't tattoos original artwork?

Tattoos are original artwork. They are usually the intellectual property of the tattoo artist or they are reproduced from tattoo flash that is the intellectual property of the flash designer. But I don't know what kind of legal dispute a tattoo artist would have over this kind of thing. I know tattoo artists themselves are guilty of copyright infringement all the time. And although Disney has tried things in the past to dissuade tattoo artists from reproducing their artwork on skin, I don't know of any case that has ever been successful. In my thirteen years as a tattoo professional, I was even guilty of it. We made money tattooing everything from Captain Morgan to the Chicago Cubs logos on people's skin and based on past experience, the odds of a lawsuit is likely one in tens of thousands.

Here are a few I did over the years that are totally not my own intellectual property. Not that I'm necessarily proud of it. But we got requests to reproduce other people's artwork almost daily. A lot of bands, companies, organizations, etc. even post pictures of people's tattoos with their logos on their own websites. It seems, for whatever reason, that copyright infringement is almost completely tolerated in the tattoo industry.

Attachments

• tattoo 1.jpg
    tattoo 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 61
  • tattoo 2.jpg
    tattoo 2.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 71
  • tattoo 3.jpg
    tattoo 3.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 71

Replicator

It's just a modified direct to garment printer . . . big deal ?

It was cool though, but the thing he did wrong was trying to run the business, instead of selling the machines to the industry !!!!!