• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

These people give signs a bad name

brycesteiner

This has been an interesting thread.

I started my printing/media business nearly 15 yers ago and about 4 years ago expanded into signage. It has been very good and people are very happy with our quality of work. We've learned from mistakes and always made it right with customers. It has taken a lot of learning but the employees have all done a great job educating themselves and practices on this.
What I have learned most I think is that I am here to provide solutions to the customers marketing needs. No matter if that sends them somewhere else, they know they can trust me to help them get the best work for their money.
It sounds like many problems in the sign industry is people don't realize that. We are here to provide solutions.
Recently, I had been accused by another printer/sign guy of taking his customers. I talked to him about his problems and I didn't try and argue because I know that never helps.
The truth is I don't go after them at all. They come to me because the work is usually lousy from the other guy or he's a big jerk to them. Most of the time he doesn't even realize that what he says actually comes off sounding either racist or just egotistical.
I've tried to explain that to him nicely. He wants me to buy him out, but there really is nothing he has that I need, not even clients. I'm already very busy and thank God for that.
The best way to keep clients is to treat them nicely and deliver on your promises. If you tell them two weeks and you find out that you cannot have it by then, be sure to communicate clearly, giving them a very logical explanation. Most of the time customers are very understanding. What they don't understand is when you tell them something and then don't follow through or don't communicate.

equippaint

I'm surprised as well and it is perfectly clear that there is some bias there being blended in. If my printer breaks down and I've taken a substantial deposit on a highly profitable job, I'm sending files to a wholesale vendor in order to keep my word to the client and save face.
To each their own but Im hocking my printer and going on a binge. Theres a lot more profit by collecting the $$ and not doing the job at all.

Marlene

The date on the original e-mail the other sign company sent to you was March 16th. How does that work out to be three months?

DerbyCitySignGuy

To each their own but Im hocking my printer and going on a binge. Theres a lot more profit by collecting the $$ and not doing the job at all.

Brokers are a thing. Some of them make a lot of money and do really well for themselves.

The date on the original e-mail the other sign company sent to you was March 16th. How does that work out to be three months?

What does that have to do with the timeline the customer gave Texas? Just because he asked him to quote an install in March doesn't mean he didn't take the customer's deposit in February.

Petty.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
there was way too much to read to catch up on this drama but did i read correctly that you are charging $1500 for two 4x8 backlits installed?

Johnny Best

Marlene, don’t give Texas any grief. The Toad will want to see some work from you and call you a “hack”. He has his minions as shown above with their posts for you to drop it and move on, They are the new guardians of S101.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Marlene, don’t give Texas any grief. The Toad will want to see some work from you and call you a “hack”. He has his minions as shown above with their posts for you to drop it and move on, They are the new guardians of S101.

Johnny, you want some french fries for all that salt?

You and the "old guardians" don't get to go around trashing everybody without repercussions. Even if the mods don't step in and call y'all on your BS, some of the other members will. I like that we're the "minions" but you follow Gino around the forums blowing smoke and agreeing with anything he says.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why because I am just a dumb girl? I asked a valid question as to how this turned into three months. How is that over my head? care to manplain that?

Well you got one thing correct.

I will explain why it's over you head if you can explain how I would know why he sent me an email on March 16.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you think the story is fake, maybe you would be more comfortable taking part of Gino's simple threads.

Why you think I would make up a kinda of lame story is beyond my understanding. What pleasure would one get from that? If I was to make up a story, please give me the benefit of the doubt that it would be a lot more interesting. Some here are really showing some odd paranoia and just plain lack of simple reading comprehension skills.

I'm done entertaining the conspiracy theorist.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
$1500 for two backlits, installed, is repulsive. I don't care what town you live in, what your expenses are, that price is inexcusable...

I'm in business to make money, not work like a fool to pay my bills......

Marlene

Well you got one thing correct.

I will explain why it's over you head if you can explain how I would know why he sent me an email on March 16.

You wouldn't know why or what job from the March 16th e-mail but in that e-mail he was gathering info for a quote for this job. Since he was gathering info for a quote, in March, it would seem that is when he quoted the job to the customer, got the OK to proceed and the deposit check. That is why I asked how this turned into three months as that doesn't add up for the extra long lead time. Insult me all you want if that is how you respond to being asked a simple question as it says more about you than it does me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You wouldn't know why or what job from the March 16th e-mail but in that e-mail he was gathering info for a quote for this job. Since he was gathering info for a quote, in March, it would seem that is when he quoted the job to the customer, got the OK to proceed and the deposit check. That is why I asked how this turned into three months as that doesn't add up for the extra long lead time. Insult me all you want if that is how you respond to being asked a simple question as it says more about you than it does me.

And you know he was gathering this info for a quote and not a job he already had how? How do you know when he deposited the check?

Keep playing along Marleane... I promise there is an answer for you... your almost there!

Last edited:

Marlene

And you know he was gathering this info for a quote and not a job he already had how? How do you know when he deposited the check?

Keep playing along Marleane... I promise there is an answer for you... your almost there!

I was asking you all of this. How do you know it was three months? You said that e-mail on March 16th was about this job, not me. You know what, I really don't give a sh*t.