• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

These people give signs a bad name

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, now you're gonna derail this thread even further, by giving me English lessons. Who died and left you in charge of something like that ??

Calling someone a liar is when you have specific proof, which I don't, so why I said he was stretching or has so many holes in his story. People forget things, avoid putting everything in or whatever, but it's not exactly lying. I am not backpedaling. Your friend is doing that, not me.

There's no Gino Show, other than you..... creating one. Because I have opinions, observations, experience or just plain knowledge, does not make it my show. Then, according to some, because I don't show off my work and say look at me...... look at me....... look at me......... I'm not allowed to express anything to these conversations, either.

You call it a bully..... I call it brutally honest and to the point. I don't skirt around issues or sugarcoat anything. Thank you for saying I strut my stuff around, but all that means is, that you have nothing to strut around, therefore you evidently just try to make others look bad by using your keyboard skills, which are kinda slackish at best.

I told someone recently, I will go out of my way to help someone who wants to really learn and will try to help themselves, but some of you lazy, b@st@rds who just talk for the sake of saying sh!t and go around making fun of those you cannot touch are just a pathetic group of bottom-feeders.

Nope, talk about ages, potential or just plain ability..... there's no one on here I'm badmouthing that I would consider competition. There are competitors of ours on here, but I haven't seen any of them on here in years, but I know they still sit along the sidelines from time to time.

As for your cognitive dissonance..... it really only appears 3 or 4 people believe you or the OP. The rest basically don't know WHAT to believe, but it sure ain't this story.​

TimToad

$1500 for two backlits, installed, is repulsive. I don't care what town you live in, what your expenses are, that price is inexcusable...

I'm in business to make money, not work like a fool to pay my bills......

"Repulsive"? What town and localized economy one lives and works in DOES MATTER when pricing work out. Everything is tied to one's overhead costs and other expenses. If Texas Signmaker felt that price was in line with his normal range and provided for an acceptable covering of his costs and a respectable profit, who are you to call him or anyone else a fool?

A couple of 4'x8' faces in the same town as one operates simply slid into an existing ground level monument sign does not and should not warrant some hefty extra effort or upcharge.

Where is your critique of the other guy who is now demanding an extra $500 just to deliver the three month overdue faces and still not install them?

DerbyCitySignGuy

I know Gino in person. I believe y'all would get along just fine. I'm not a fan of how he posts on here, but in real life... he's a good guy.

I don't doubt this in the slightest.

Oh, now you're gonna derail this thread even further, by giving me English lessons. Who died and left you in charge of something like that ??

Calling someone a liar is when you have specific proof, which I don't, so why I said he was stretching or has so many holes in his story. People forget things, avoid putting everything in or whatever, but it's not exactly lying. I am not backpedaling. Your friend is doing that, not me.

There's no Gino Show, other than you..... creating one. Because I have opinions, observations, experience or just plain knowledge, does not make it my show. Then, according to some, because I don't show off my work and say look at me...... look at me....... look at me......... I'm not allowed to express anything to these conversations, either.

You call it a bully..... I call it brutally honest and to the point. I don't skirt around issues or sugarcoat anything. Thank you for saying I strut my stuff around, but all that means is, that you have nothing to strut around, therefore you evidently just try to make others look bad by using your keyboard skills, which are kinda slackish at best.

I told someone recently, I will go out of my way to help someone who wants to really learn and will try to help themselves, but some of you lazy, b@st@rds who just talk for the sake of saying sh!t and go around making fun of those you cannot touch are just a pathetic group of bottom-feeders.

Nope, talk about ages, potential or just plain ability..... there's no one on here I'm badmouthing that I would consider competition. There are competitors of ours on here, but I haven't seen any of them on here in years, but I know they still sit along the sidelines from time to time.

As for your cognitive dissonance..... it really only appears 3 or 4 people believe you or the OP. The rest basically don't know WHAT to believe, but it sure ain't this story.​

Apparently you need an English lesson. You accused him of intentionally making up aspects of his story. How does "Gino's Number One Best Dictionary Ever" define a lie? Because every dictionary I've ever seen defines a lie as an intentionally false statement. So if you're accusing him of "padding" his story, you're accusing him of lying. Nobody left me in charge of defining English language, Gino. That's just the way it works.

You called the man a liar. That's all there is to it. In my own personal opinion, if you're going to call a man a liar, you should at least have the guts to admit to it and either apologize, or get ready for whatever is coming your way. That's a BOLD statement to make about another person.

Second, you're not "brutally honest" about anything. You try to shove your opinions down people's throats as "fact" and then get all huffy when people don't agree with you. Then you start slinging mud and get all shocked when you get dirty. Just like you did in the post above.

You're a child and a hypocrite. "I never badmouth other sign companies" meanwhile we're all lazy "illegitimate children". Right on, Gino. Keep living in your fantasy world where you're some kind of giant of a man, a real sign hero who is the victim here.

[Edit: And for the record, the way you talk to people is disgusting. Where and how I was raised, you wouldn't make it five minutes talking to people like that. The only person who'd appreciate you running your mouth like that would be your dentist.]

[Edit 2: A man of your advanced years should probably chill a little bit too. You're going to give yourself a stroke frothing at the mouth and pounding on your keyboard.]

Marlene

Nice passive aggressive victimhood role play. I haven't seen anyone throw sexism into this thread except you just now. I described how my wife and our female employee have changed faces that big themselves as a compliment to their independence, strength and self-reliance despite their size, not their gender.

The fact that you are one of the few women who participate here does not make everyone who disagrees with you a sexist pig or that they are using your gender against you. You are one of the smartest people on this board, but I can understand why he said that it was over your head because you seem bent on following the same weak logic as the others criticizing Texas Signmaker. You started off with a couple decent questions, but devolved into the blame the wrong guy territory rather quickly and the usual crowd piled on, so he is feeling attacked and defensive. Continuing to hammer on the same thing expecting a different answer is problematic.

For all any of us should be concerned, online monikers and identities should be taken with a grain of salt as to their authenticity or gender identity. If everyone just did that, we'd all be on a level playing field and not subject to misinterpretations or false attacks.

As others have observed, this all seems so clear and an indictment of the other sign guy and the customer, but it seems like some of you are just bent on making Texas the bad guy in this. I actually hold the customer and the other sign vendor 100% responsible for the entire mess. I don't believe anyone with a responsible, professional approach to this craft lets a printer sit for three weeks let alone three months. If the customer told Texas that he or she paid a deposit three months earlier and still hadn't gotten anything but excuses and requested a quote, I see no reason for him to not provide a quote at a price he is accustomed to charging.

Why would Texas Signmaker lie about what the prospect told him, or any of the other parts of this? Because he likes getting trashed by folks who just can't wait to start picking apart his account of things regardless of topic? He already knows these boards are dominated by a few people who are going to attack him regardless of what he posts. It's a real shame that the moderators don't take those kinds of automatic, kneejerk attacks and insults more seriously, but that's the reality of what this site has always represented.

Saying this was over my head was an insult as all I was doing was looking for where the facts of this came from. We all know customers lie so if the customer said it was three months, it could have been more like three weeks, who knows. The other shop's first e-mail concerning this job was dated March 16th. Why would he be gathering info for a quote after he got the job? There are boneheads out there who get a job and then figure out what goes into it so that could have been the case. All I wanted were the facts as it makes a big difference.

Johnny Best

I am still surprised this is still being talked about.
If you believe the story or think Texas's story was overly fabricated we have that privilege in thinking what we want. If Marlene wants to play the feminine card she also has that right. If Derby and Texas want to voice their opinions on old people I am OK with that too.
But, it was a goofy story, Salmon, five sauces, 3-month wait after deposit given, pricing off for #2 4x8's and then the email trail. Wow, can I get this time back, I am old and need more time. It even got into english lessons, calling people liars and bullies.
And being old the expression use to be, "I need to get outa this funk I am in"
Good time for a Happy Ending, and keep me from filling up Derby's inbox with tears.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I am still surprised this is still being talked about.
If you believe the story or think Texas's story was overly fabricated we have that privilege in thinking what we want. If Marlene wants to play the feminine card she also has that right. If Derby and Texas want to voice their opinions on old people I am OK with that too.
But, it was a goofy story, Salmon, five sauces, 3-month wait after deposit given, pricing off for #2 4x8's and then the email trail. Wow, can I get this time back, I am old and need more time. It even got into english lessons, calling people liars and bullies.
And being old the expression use to be, "I need to get outa this funk I am in"
Good time for a Happy Ending, and keep me from filling up Derby's inbox with tears.

I actually agree with you and I'd buy YOU a beer at the party.

[Edit: I'm stubborn and argumentative by nature, it's a bad look and a terrible character flaw, but I'm working on it.]

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Saying this was over my head was an insult as all I was doing was looking for where the facts of this came from. We all know customers lie so if the customer said it was three months, it could have been more like three weeks, who knows. The other shop's first e-mail concerning this job was dated March 16th. Why would he be gathering info for a quote after he got the job? There are boneheads out there who get a job and then figure out what goes into it so that could have been the case. All I wanted were the facts as it makes a big difference.

Your asking the wrong person Marlene. Could the customer be exaggerating? Maybe, but he is my potential client and I'm not going to put him through a lie detector test to find out if it's 3 months or 2 months. Did the other sign guy ask for a quote before or after he won the job? How would you or I know and really who cares other then you?

I say it's over your head because most people are smart enough to connect dots that maybe the customer is over estimating time... maybe the guy tried to get prices AFTER making the bid which is not the right way to do business. I bet many people figured this out on their own but this fact went OVER YOUR HEAD and your asking stupid questions to someone who CANT answer them because I am not the other sign guy nor am I the customer!

TimToad

Deep down, you have to know by now how much respect I hold for you and your approach. It shouldn't have to be said, but I did anyway. Its not meant to do anything but acknowledge your overall contributions here.

The way I perceived the other vendor asking for the quote on 3/16 was that he may have been catching heat from the customer for taking so long and he was looking for a sub to produce the faces because he could not complete the order for whatever reason. That text or email alone does not confirm or refute how long ago the customer paid the deposit or the authenticity of the other vendor's claim of a broken down printer. We also don't know exactly when the customer told Texas Signmaker what the other price was. For all any of us know, that information wasn't revealed to Texas until after the customer saw his quote.

I will take issue with this term "low balling" and the inference you make towards Texas Signmaker. Its not for any of us to decide how much somebody in a vastly different geographical and economic circumstance should charge for their work. Even in the high priced environs where we operate and primarily because of the distortion of the market by the fly by nighters, garage operators, etc. the price Texas quoted isn't too far off what we are forced to charge. We can have a whole other discussion about these specific issues and I'm sure we'll hear from all the millionaire sign company owners here about how they are so talented and immune from those downward pressures, but most of us know that's its all puffery and everything is dependent on one's local market and competition's practices.

TimToad

I actually agree with you and I'd buy YOU a beer at the party.

[Edit: I'm stubborn and argumentative by nature, it's a bad look and a terrible character flaw, but I'm working on it.]

I think what this entire board could use is a good discussion on what passive aggression is and how often it is used by the two most insulting, but equally fragile snowflakes here. They'll throw all manner of insults, invective, ad hominym attacks and denigration of other member's character, business practices, even diets ( are now in their arsenal ), etc. but the second it gets turned around or folks tire of it, they pull out the victimhood and how unreasonable those calling them on their shiit are.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think what this entire board could use is a good discussion on what passive aggression is and how often it is used by the two most insulting, but equally fragile snowflakes here. They'll throw all manner of insults, invective, ad hominym attacks and denigration of other member's character, business practices, even diets ( are now in their arsenal ), etc. but the second it gets turned around or folks tire of it, they pull out the victimhood and how unreasonable those calling them on their shiit are.

I get it, I can be abrasive. I also understand that a lot of people on the forums work for themselves and are their own bosses, or at least work in a manner that affords them a significant amount of autonomy in their daily work life. That being said, certain people throwing their (self-perceived) weight around on an internet forum where there are a lot of other people just like them who are running equally or more successful businesses is ridiculous. Calling into question people's integrity and insulting them isn't the way anyone would do business in person, so why does it fly on the internet? Rhetorical question, it's anonymity.

It's not impressive, it's infantile, and it's hard to take a person seriously who struts around with their thumbs in their suspenders thinking they're a big fish when they're not even in a pond, they're smack in the middle of the Pacific.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haha..... now we've moved from English class to psychoanalysis. I was told by a good friend of mine a long time ago, who was the head psychoanalyst in a local hospital, that the only people who can get into this field are people who have had so many problems they've become good at psychoanalysing everyone else.

Now, you guys are gonna take a stab at it. You can't see the flaws in yourselves, but you know exactly what's wrong with everyone else.

This place is no popularity contest, that's for sure, but toadster seems to be trying to get on everyone's good side. Guess he's gonna run for office or something. He is up on all the latest issues, just ask him.

This whole thread is about nothing and the holes in the story, the muddy waters of a paper trail and everything coming from one source, just does not add up. I'm glad tex got the job. All I did was warn him that his methods are not good ones. If that's an attack on his credibility or integrity, so be it, but it was meant to help him, if this story is true. Afterall, the other guy did warn him. They had conversations and so many.... he said and they saids in this thing, it's quite confusing, but facts are still the facts and at best they are very weak.

Okay kids, back to playing school and doctor.

This one was very exhausting...... even for me. Later, can we delve into actively friendly behavior ?? :bookworm

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Haha..... now we've moved from English class to psychoanalysis. I was told by a good friend of mine a long time ago, who was the head psychoanalyst in a local hospital, that the only people who can get into this field are people who have had so many problems they've become good at psychoanalysing everyone else.

Now, you guys are gonna take a stab at it. You can't see the flaws in yourselves, but you know exactly what's wrong with everyone else.

This place is no popularity contest, that's for sure, but toadster seems to be trying to get on everyone's good side. Guess he's gonna run for office or something. He is up on all the latest issues, just ask him.

This whole thread is about nothing and the holes in the story, the muddy waters of a paper trail and everything coming from one source, just does not add up. I'm glad tex got the job. All I did was warn him that his methods are not good ones. If that's an attack on his credibility or integrity, so be it, but it was meant to help him, if this story is true. Afterall, the other guy did warn him. They had conversations and so many.... he said and they saids in this thing, it's quite confusing, but facts are still the facts and at best they are very weak.

Okay kids, back to playing school and doctor.

This one was very exhausting...... even for me. Later, can we delve into actively friendly behavior ?? :bookworm

Wow, can you read? When did I say I got the job? The holes are in your comprehension skills.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After all this BS, you didn't even get the job ?? What a waste of time. Now, it's even more bogus. There's a hidden underlying connection here and someone is not letting on.

DerbyCitySignGuy

After all this BS, you didn't even get the job ?? What a waste of time. Now, it's even more bogus. There's a hidden underlying connection here and someone is not letting on.

Uh oh, Gino has finally figured out that he's stumbled onto a secret Illumanti website fronting as a sign forum.

:rolleyes:

KMC

Graphic Artist
FFS, my wife is 5'4" and I've seen her and our other female employee who is about the same size slide faces that big into ground level monuments in about 5 minutes time.

WTF last time i checked women can install just as good as men that was not called for

Ask the other sign company who sent me the email.

Marlene, just move on, this is over you head.

thats just rude Texas

Nice passive aggressive victimhood role play. I haven't seen anyone throw sexism into this thread except you just now. I described how my wife and our female employee have changed faces that big themselves as a compliment to their independence, strength and self-reliance despite their size, not their gender.

DUDE thats a back handed compliment not a real one

Johnny Best

So I don't think the Toad is going to come to the Happy Ending Party!
Will have to start putting some ideas together for a theme of Passive Aggression Party.