• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thick Stencil

Marie

My local wholesale vendor for stencils has closed, and I am looking for a new source. The stencils were cut from a thick plastic - almost 1/8" thick and could be reused repeatedly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

rjssigns

Find a local shop with an industrial laser. Sheet metal shop is a good place to start. Then you can have stencils cut from stainless steel. I get odd things lasered at a local shop and they are inexpensive. I tell them to nest and run it with another job or use a drop.
Only thing I have to do is supply them with a DXF file

Ultimate13

We source ours out to a larger local sign shop that has a laser and a router. We don't do them that thick but I'm sure it can be done.

wgsengraving

We have a Gerber Sabre 408 CNC router and a large laser machine. If interested, look up our contact info at wgssigns.com.

We use this thickness alot and use a supplier that makes traffic stencils. I would do a search for Fire lane and No parking stencils and find a shop around you that makes them.

signman315

Signmaker
We can offer stencils like you described

We stock roughly 3/16" thick polyethylene material specifically for stencils. The material is designed to not let anything adhere to it very well, so they are easy to clean up and reuse. Also the material is more flexible than sintra/pvc and stronger and less likely to tear than polystyrene (all of which we also stock in varying thicknesses) so it's perfect for stencils. We cut them on our Sabre 408 router using an 1/8" diameter bit, so you can get a fair amount of detail out of them, but not as much detail as a laser. You can use the contact form on our website valleysigns.com or you can email me directly daniel@valleysigns.com, I would be happy to discuss, thanks.

oksigns

+1 for sintra/polystyrene

I can get them in three different thicknesses and can cut & print. 9mil is the thinnest I get and works great as a stencil. any thicker, and a curl can grow in to it very easily.

signman315

Signmaker
+1 for HDPE (high density polyethylene) we've also used it for years works great, lays flat, very durable, easy to clean/reuse. haha also works great as a leader for a laminator, excess laminate peels off easy!