• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Think Tank for sign makers. I wonder if there might be any interest. I am open for discussion.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Who knows. No harm in asking.
Think Tank for sign makers.
What do you say?
Do you have any interest?
Has there ever been anything like this in our industry?
I am open to hearing all sides on the concept.
If you think it is a good idea or dumb idea, feel free to speak up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh, sounds like a decent idea, but isn't that what this forum is all about ?? Afterall, it has it put into categories and just about everything already to go.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Ahhh, sounds like a decent idea, but isn't that what this forum is all about ?? Afterall, it has it put into categories and just about everything already to go.
Gino, I am thinking about taking the business management concept to a different level. So, the threads could all be in the management forum, but with the idea of a proactive approach to problem solving. The purpose being to seek out new problems and prepare preemptive solutions before the get too big.
That is just one side of my wondering.
I am open to a wide ranging discussion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could you possibly cite an example or two ?? I'm not catching your drift, at all.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Could you possibly cite an example or two ?? I'm not catching your drift, at all.
Gino, some have told me that there is a new generation of sign clients starting to come on the scene with different ways of conducting their business. That might be a topic for discussion.
Others have indicated that as we come out of this pandemic, they wonder what is on the horizon.
Gino, does that begin to help you with my drift?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, It sounds like the everyday threads, posts and conversations already taking place here. I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish ?? What would be different from your one-on-one stuff..... vs. everyone benefiting from it being right here, out in the open, for all to participate ?? Why not just start a thread with the appropriate title and go for it. There doesn't seem to be any need for what you're saying, if I'm sorta catching your drift.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, years ago, we would hold sign mixers and they were all over the place from coast to coast with some really top notch people being here in my area. The best guy was Mike Stevens and a buncha other guys. Anyway, these things would last 2 maybe 3 days and was fun for all and most of all a great learning experience for everyone, both young and old. We'd hold contests, demonstrations, games and most of all talk about signs, business and the future and how the past was. Usually everyday around mid afternoon, we'd hold a round table meeting. It could last anywhere form 2 hours up to 4 or 5 hours and it was so interesting it was just great. Everyone learned from each other and there were no competition barriers, cause we were all one industry. This forum..... is the closest thing to what they once were. Perhaps you can improve upon them, but as of yet, I don't see you angle. Sorry.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
Bobby H. That is one way to look at it.
From your perspective, do you think the next 12 months are going to be just like the last 12 months? Or, do you see something coming that might catch us by surprise if we don't pay attention?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Ya know, years ago, we would hold sign mixers and they were all over the place from coast to coast with some really top notch people being here in my area. The best guy was Mike Stevens and a buncha other guys. Anyway, these things would last 2 maybe 3 days and was fun for all and most of all a great learning experience for everyone, both young and old. We'd hold contests, demonstrations, games and most of all talk about signs, business and the future and how the past was. Usually everyday around mid afternoon, we'd hold a round table meeting. It could last anywhere form 2 hours up to 4 or 5 hours and it was so interesting it was just great. Everyone learned from each other and there were no competition barriers, cause we were all one industry. This forum..... is the closest thing to what they once were. Perhaps you can improve upon them, but as of yet, I don't see you angle. Sorry.
Gino, my first thread was a wide open as I could make. Just looking to see if there is any interest at all.
What you describe as a "round table meeting" is one of the approaches that a think tank can take. I appreciate you telling about it. If we were to have such a meeting here on Signs101, right here in the open forum with all members, do you have any further thoughts about how to implement that?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, forget it. We did it years ago when Fred was in charge. It was a frickin' nightmare. We had specified times for everyone invited to participate and it was still hard to get people on. What happens is, people answer things at their own convenience, much like the forum itself. The idea is good, but the practicability is practically impossible. The forum and it's various categories are set up in a fashion and they work by far the best.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
My friend owns a landscape business and they do something similar. It's a gathering of other landscape companies from other non-competing markets that get together and discuss business/industry issues

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Yeah, forget it. We did it years ago when Fred was in charge. It was a frickin' nightmare. We had specified times for everyone invited to participate and it was still hard to get people on. What happens is, people answer things at their own convenience, much like the forum itself. The idea is good, but the practicability is practically impossible. The forum and it's various categories are set up in a fashion and they work by far the best.
Gino, let me see if I understand. This forum, as it is right now, may not work for a "round table meeting" approach. Am I close to how you see it?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
My friend owns a landscape business and they do something similar. It's a gathering of other landscape companies from other non-competing markets that get together and discuss business/industry issues
I like the idea of "discuss business/industry issues." That certainly could be part of a Think Tank purpose.
Could it be done here in an open forum, or would it have to be somewhere else?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whaaa.....?? :confused: You have a friend ??

See, these things work, if we're all meeting somewhere/someplace and can all take part all at one time. Nothing is lost in time or keyboard wizards. You can have several people talking at once and still get things accomplished. This internet sh!t will not work and everyone will tire of it kinda quickly. No offense to Robert, but it ain't gonna work. Keep brainstorming and testing this stuff out, before you just blurt it out as a thread or invitation. We'll get ya situated, yet. o_O