• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This job scares me...

Stacey K

I like making signs
Are you basing this all off of gossip?

Full payment up front and make some money.
It's not gossip, it's true. My parents know the board members in town and have a friend of the hotel this happened at. Her husband is a shady business person also, he has an excavating business.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Gino This is what I'm most worried about. Do the job and she says it's not to her standards or something like that and she demands the letters be recut or some kind of other drama. If it were just vinyl and labor, that's one thing but the out of pocket materials here are a lot for me. I'm going to pass on it, I'm busy enough not to have to worry about rushing this job through for a quick buck. Like I said, she was very pushy, like forcing me to do the job. Makes me think others won't work with her. And she did get walked out in cuffs.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Stacey, aside from the whole criminal angle (which is a giant red flag), there is the question of deadline. She contacted you, saying she is opening in just 2 days and needs signs right now? That alone would be enough to make me pass. That issue alone sends off all kinds of warning signs about the client. They must be badly disorganized and unprofessional if they're only just starting to think about store front signage just 2 days ahead of opening day. Most any sign company is going to have some kind of backlog of work, customers already waiting in line for their stuff to be fabricated and installed. It's not cool to let someone else cut in line in front of them. Even if business is dead and we're twiddling our thumbs at the shop waiting for something to do we can't always order things like formed plastic letters and get them delivered next day unless we're willing (and the customer is willing) to pay a lot more for shipping.

Andy D

. the law can back track transactions up to 6 months and demand you return it all. Now, you're out the money....... AND the signs.
Are you sure about that? I can see if something is on payment and the government seizes it, it would be a bunch of red tape, but I don't see how that would be possible for them to demand a refund for something.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Bobby I completely agree. I told her it's not anything I could do in a few days, let alone a week. "Your disorganization is not my emergency". I hardly believe I'm the first person she called. Maybe she's used to people jumping when she says jump. That's really not me unless you've already established yourself as an excellent customer who pays on time, is courteous and easy to work with. Then yes, I will jump! LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure about that? I can see if something is on payment and the government seizes it, it would be a bunch of red tape, but I don't see how that would be possible for them to demand a refund for something.
Yes, dead balls on sure. It happened to me twice, but many years ago. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Whether or not you knew or did not know, if you accepted money from someone under certain circumstances, the law can take it all back. It pays to know who your customers are and how they do business. Why do you think there are so many agencies to help you find out about everyone ?? Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, D&B and so many others. The first one for me was back in the early 90's and what happens is, people will try to do business and hide their money by buying things or investing it. The law has no idea if you are involved with the cover-up or not..... and they don't give a sh!t, unless you squawk. Then, it will get bad for you too, regardless of how innocent you are.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes, dead balls on sure. It happened to me twice, but many years ago. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Whether or not you knew or did not know, if you accepted money from someone under certain circumstances, the law can take it all back. It pays to know who your customers are and how they do business. Why do you think there are so many agencies to help you find out about everyone ?? Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, D&B and so many others. The first one for me was back in the early 90's and what happens is, people will try to do business and hide their money by buying things or investing it. The law has no idea if you are involved with the cover-up or not..... and they don't give a sh!t, unless you squawk. Then, it will get bad for you too, regardless of how innocent you are.
So you're telling me the guy that came in with a briefcase full of cash might not be legit?

WildWestDesigns

Going back over the thread, I'm surprised so many discount "gossip". After all, there are some on here that use "gossip" all the time. Sometimes that's the sole form of advertising that they have. Now to avoid the negativity of the word "gossip", it may be referred to as something else, as in "word of mouth" (although both can be positive or negative), but functionally they are the same thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Going back over the thread, I'm surprised so many discount "gossip". After all, there are some on here that use "gossip" all the time. Sometimes that's the sole form of advertising that they have. Now to avoid the negativity of the word "gossip", it may be referred to as something else, as in "word of mouth" (although both can be positive or negative), but functionally they are the same thing.
Whadafug does that mean ?? She's already said it's 100% true.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I always thought gossip was just hen chatter?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I met with a new business today. She opens Thursday as in two days. She is looking to have me do some Gemini Letters, ASAP. Total comes to about $1000 COGS - which I would demand the deposit of $1000. She also wants 3 large windows with gold vinyl and a door, which I haven't priced out yet.

The name was familiar so I asked around. Turns out she was just walked out of her previous job for embezzling possibly millions of dollars over a couple decades and having each of her kids on the payroll even though they never worked there. She's looking at federal prison time. This occurred at Christmas and apparently it will take a while to go through all the accounting records so she isn't in jail now. She was very pushy with me.

A few have told me to run as far and as fast as I can. Others tell me to demand full payment up front and make some money. I did not give her any pricing or say if I could do the job yet. Curious what opinions some of you might have.
I would walk away. You can't do it in that time frame. Counter back the pushiness with passive aggressive behavior. LOL

WildWestDesigns

Whadafug does that mean ?? She's already said it's 100% true.
So are you saying "gossip" can't be true?

"Gossip" and "word of mouth" etc in it's most basic definition is just "informal form of communication". It can be true, false, pure fantasy. It doesn't change the fact that it's "gossip" or "word of mouth" etc as the form of communication is still informal.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So are you saying "gossip" can't be true?

"Gossip" and "word of mouth" etc in it's most basic definition is just "informal form of communication". It can be true, false, pure fantasy.
No, I don't remember saying gossip is true or false. I simply asked what did you just say ??

However, it is generally just hearsay. In today's world everything matters, even if it ain't so. You can't say anything without some nitwit contradicting it. The norm is the abnormal and the abnormal is now the new norm. Whether you are just using words or being serious, word of mouth and gossip still don't equate to the same thing...... anyway, not in a stable sorta mind. Just ask your parents, ya know..... the ones you're always referring to. They'll set ya straight.

WildWestDesigns

No, I don't remember saying gossip is true or false. I simply asked what did you just say ??

However, it is generally just hearsay. In today's world everything matters, even if it ain't so. You can't say anything without some nitwit contradicting it. The norm is the abnormal and the abnormal is now the new norm. Whether you are just using words or being serious, word of mouth and gossip still don't equate to the same thing...... anyway, not in a stable sorta mind. Just ask your parents, ya know..... the ones you're always referring to. They'll set ya straight.

I'm being more philosophical, devil's advocate. You know, just my argumentative self.

Andy D

Good to know, thanks.
Reason #201,000,568 our government are a bunch of crooks and need to be put on a short leash.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I figured as much, but I don't really like people saying what they think I said or believe. I can get in enough trouble all by my lonesome.

One of my pet peeves is when someone says, so what you mean is................................ and they are so far off track, it ain't even funny.

Remember....... listen.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good to know, thanks.
Reason #201,000,568 our government are a bunch of crooks and need to be put on a short leash.
It's not so much the government as much as the law on the books. It's really to prevent fraud and people already getting away with serious crimes hiding it even further.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's not gossip. She got walked out in handcuffs, per numerous sources. I just got off the phone with her assistant and I passed. I recommended she go to a larger shop who might have in-house capabilities that could rush the job through quicker than me.

Thanks for all the feedback, very nice to hear all the opinions so I can make the right decision for my business.

So now, I have no worries about it. I can just worry about the 101 other things I was worrying about before I started worrying about this :roflmao: LOL

Don't worry, if I hear of any exciting news, I'll update this post in the future !