• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on new equipment installation and training

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
I have been having some inquires lately about the structure of training for new equipment like printers and digital cutting platforms.

I am looking for some insight from the community on what works best etc.

When you get something new, do you prefer canned training programs?
Does it work best to just supply process documents (help sheets) when there are inquires?
What are you looking for?

What is the best approach to inexperienced operators on equipment like flatbed cutters?
Is it better to start slow to build confidence with machines?

General operations of all these systems are generally easy and straightforward.
Blades slice and cut as a simple displacement cutting process.
Router bits cut and carve as a subtractive process that can be complex sometimes.

I wanted to know form General and Middle Management what their thoughts were on this as well as users/operators.

For reference, i choose to start slow with the basics and assess user groups individually.
Over time I add more processes and complexity to the directions as the users become more confident with operation.
While I can understand certain viewpoints on expediency in a operators training, I don't get to choose who runs what/where.
I do get to choose how I want to handle teaching in a way i feel is the most beneficial and least likely to result in incorrect operation.

thanks,

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I think it would depend on the experience level of the trainee... The person that needs to operate the equipment from day to day.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I've installed printers for over 13 years and have leaned a lot about how people like to be trained and what works well. I learned very early on that the goal of the initial training should be to teach the customer just enough that they can get a basic job done. If you go into the bells and whistles, it almost always is forgotten the next day. Teach them just enough to get around so they can ask questions about the more complicated stuff later.

The other rule I live by is to not touch the printer or computer during training if I can help it. I will describe to the customer how to do it and have them do it hands on. If I do it, they don't learn anything. Most of my customers appreciate it when I offer for them to go hands on during training.

Raum Divarco

I've installed printers for over 13 years and have leaned a lot about how people like to be trained and what works well. I learned very early on that the goal of the initial training should be to teach the customer just enough that they can get a basic job done. If you go into the bells and whistles, it almost always is forgotten the next day. Teach them just enough to get around so they can ask questions about the more complicated stuff later.

The other rule I live by is to not touch the printer or computer during training if I can help it. I will describe to the customer how to do it and have them do it hands on. If I do it, they don't learn anything. Most of my customers appreciate it when I offer for them to go hands on during training.
Yea we do find letting people drive is the best way to go for retention.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of driving..... ever been in a car and the driver knows where he/she's going and explaining to the passenger next to them..... turn here, go left here, see this telephone pole, when ya see this-do that, I always do this and take this alley through here................... The passenger didn't hear or learn a thing. Equipment is no different.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Speaking of driving..... ever been in a car and the driver knows where he/she's going and explaining to the passenger next to them..... turn here, go left here, see this telephone pole, when ya see this-do that, I always do this and take this alley through here................... The passenger didn't hear or learn a thing. Equipment is no different.
When we travel I do most of the driving while the wife navigates. This is what I get. "your turn was back there" or she'll stair out the window and say "there it is, didn't you see the sign?"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't allow backseat drivers, regardless or where their placement is..... in the vehicle. Next stop sign and a gentle little shove and that's settled.

Johnny Best

Years ago I had a old couple living next door, He was blind and she never learned to drive. He would drive ans she would tell him where to go. His concertation and her instructions were so good you would have never realize he was blind. I use to ride with them just for giggles.

victor bogdanov

I like instructional videos and reading the manuals before the equipment/software is delivered that way when the in person training/install is done it reinforces the videos/reading materials. I was trained on the Colorado 1650 and a flatbed recently and while waiting for the machine deliveries I read pretty much all of the available manuals and training videos over a few weeks.

Joe House

Ruam,
There is a concept I call learning fatigue that after a customer reaches this point, they no longer learn anything or will forget earlier things that were taught to make mental room for what their learning now. Even the fastest learner will reach this point at some time during the training.
For products like your work tables, which do 3 or 4 or 5 things very well, you can teach them to use this tool in one session and they will know all they need to.
Your cutters (or anyone's cutters or printers) have many variables that need to be considered and adjusted. Most customers won't use all possible combinations and trying teach them everything is pointless. On complex systems, you need to find out what their primary objective is (and don't accept "I want to learn everything" as the primary objective) and train on that so they can do that well. After they've mastered that along with maintenance issues that they need to know, then you can expand and cover perhaps their top 3 or 5 items and during this time you introduce more abstract concepts (feeds and speeds, etc.) as you compare new topics with what they've learned during their "primary" training.
I don't think there is a one size fits all approach to more complex machinery. And you have to set proper expectations ahead of training or they will expect that they will learn everything and be disappointed.

I love your products! Good Luck!

ProColorGraphics

I think it depends on the person. For me, I like to be shown the basics of where the standard functions are and how to use it. Then I just have to dive in and start working with it.

Raum Divarco

There are a lot of good points here.
Finding the correct balance to take into account the pricing is a little tricky sometimes.
We have considered adding extra time to the installs for an increase charge but have received a good amount of push back on that overall.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Last summer we got a new agfa Annapurna 2500. Once the installation was done, I had three days of training on how to run it. He went over the basics, and then I had some job specific things I wanted to be able to do. The following week, a different trainer came in for three days to train me on the rip (Asanti). We spent a whole day color profiling.
Once that was over, I knew enough to get going, but also knew there was a lot more to know. The best part has been continued support. When I'm stuck on something, I can email my Asanti trainer with my issue and he gets back to me pretty quickly. Our support can log in with team viewer, and show me what to do as if they are there.
This has been invaluable, especially because there are things I forgot from the training.

Raum Divarco

Last summer we got a new agfa Annapurna 2500. Once the installation was done, I had three days of training on how to run it. He went over the basics, and then I had some job specific things I wanted to be able to do. The following week, a different trainer came in for three days to train me on the rip (Asanti). We spent a whole day color profiling.
Once that was over, I knew enough to get going, but also knew there was a lot more to know. The best part has been continued support. When I'm stuck on something, I can email my Asanti trainer with my issue and he gets back to me pretty quickly. Our support can log in with team viewer, and show me what to do as if they are there.
This has been invaluable, especially because there are things I forgot from the training.
TeamViewer is an invaluable tool.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
I completely agree, basic run down for 2 maybe 3 days.
Day one safety and basic operation. Customer is Hands on day 1
Day 2 recap of day one then they are hands on with your guidance for the rest of the day. (I’ve found they tend to tap out around 5 hours straight.

3rd day goes into particulars but nothing advanced. We (a lot of us) have spent years in the field and I’m still learning daily.
A new to the industry person gets to learn basics and safety to get started.

Now, if you get customers that have also been doing this for years I think the same rule applies. They don’t know that particular machine., they know the bad habits of machines before . Teach them what not to do and basic functionality to get them going. Charge extra for the 20+ year guys that try to explain how to do your job lol.

That’s my humble opinion on the matter and what I’ve used for the last 5+ years of installing & then training folks.

Raum Divarco

I completely agree, basic run down for 2 maybe 3 days.
Day one safety and basic operation. Customer is Hands on day 1
Day 2 recap of day one then they are hands on with your guidance for the rest of the day. (I’ve found they tend to tap out around 5 hours straight.

3rd day goes into particulars but nothing advanced. We (a lot of us) have spent years in the field and I’m still learning daily.
A new to the industry person gets to learn basics and safety to get started.

Now, if you get customers that have also been doing this for years I think the same rule applies. They don’t know that particular machine., they know the bad habits of machines before . Teach them what not to do and basic functionality to get them going. Charge extra for the 20+ year guys that try to explain how to do your job lol.

That’s my humble opinion on the matter and what I’ve used for the last 5+ years of installing & then training folks.
Agree. Especially on the point with end users from different companies who are familiar with doing certain things a certain way.
There are a lot of different platforms out there that have a lot in common and differences.
The distinction of what you had vs. what you have now is of little concern to me.
You can always buy what you want.
From working on different equipment all over there are always some end users who arent happy with what they have.
All pieces of equipment are just tools and their limitations are always fewer than the lack of imagination.

CanuckSigns

I personally find that when I decide on a new piece of equipment I research the hell out of it before it shows up and most of the time I know more about the machine than the installer does. I find most techs in this industry know just enough about their products to do their job, but they don't use the equipment to actually produce work with, they know how to fix the machine but not how to run it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I personally find that when I decide on a new piece of equipment I research the hell out of it before it shows up and most of the time I know more about the machine than the installer does. I find most techs in this industry know just enough about their products to do their job, but they don't use the equipment to actually produce work with, they know how to fix the machine but not how to run it.
This is true. When you go to training as a tech for a lot of these brands they basically teach you how to install the machine. They don't go over operation or troubleshooting usually. That's something you just have to pickup along the way. I have a few customers I call once in a while to ask questions on things I don't know about. And of course I always return the favor when they have technical questions.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Ha. Like our Grimco installer that installed our Summa F1612. He had literally never seen one before.