• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts or recommendations on getting a second laser unit

Baz

Hey guys.

So i am at that point where my workload is just to much for my one laser unit.

My system:
- I have a Gravograph system. A 12"x18", 40 watt unit. (LS 100)
- I use Gravograph's Laserstyle software to run my machine.

I got a quote from my Gravograph rep. And also asked for a quote from my materials supplier which they carry Universal brand lasers.
Both companies have really good specials on right now (but not on the same or comparable sized units).

My most important questions is. Anyone of you using two (or more) different brand systems running off of the same engraving software?
If so .. Any pros or cons or potential problems in doing this?
Allot of you are using Corel Draw but i am a Illustrator user and i tried running my Gravograph machine through it and it does "kinda" work.
But it seems buggy in how the laser takes on the information (origin point goes off, adjusting power settings is done through preset RGB values)
I can see that the workflow would not be as easy as with a dedicated engraving software. Especially on large orders.

I am leaning for a second Gravograph system but it is more expensive than the Universal.
The models i am looking at are either Gravograph LS900 which is 24"x24" or Universal's VLS4.60 which is 18"x24"
Both systems are 60 watt. Both are on sale but there is a 10k difference between the two.

I am torn on what to do. The Universal's specs are perfect for my needs but i am concerned about workflow and possible quality differences between both machines when working
on the same job.

rossmosh

I have a Gravograph LS100 and a ULS 6.60. The Gravograph machine is the superior machine. The ULS has the superior driver/software. Just about all name brand lasers run off a print driver so you can literally run the laser off MS Word if you wanted to. You can absolutely run any laser from Gravostyle.

The ULS is not nearly as well built as the Gravograph machine. Belts, bearings, and rails are the biggest difference which means the Gravograph will engrave much faster. For cutting, you won't see much of a difference.

If you're buying new and have about 20k to spend (which seems to be your budget) I'd recommend at least looking at the Trotec Speedy 300. Should be about 25k for an 80W machine.

CanuckSigns

I have a Gravograph LS100 and a ULS 6.60. The Gravograph machine is the superior machine. The ULS has the superior driver/software. Just about all name brand lasers run off a print driver so you can literally run the laser off MS Word if you wanted to. You can absolutely run any laser from Gravostyle.

The ULS is not nearly as well built as the Gravograph machine. Belts, bearings, and rails are the biggest difference which means the Gravograph will engrave much faster. For cutting, you won't see much of a difference.

If you're buying new and have about 20k to spend (which seems to be your budget) I'd recommend at least looking at the Trotec Speedy 300. Should be about 25k for an 80W machine.

We've got 2 Trotec Speedy 300's, they are workhorses, at least 1 of them is going 8 hours a day, 5 days a week

Baz

Thank you very much guys for your opinions.

I mainly engrave/cut Rowmark material. I don't do allot of acrylic cutting (but sometimes i do) and sometimes i etch stainless steel (using Cermark).

I did think of Trotec as well because of the many positive reviews i have read over the years but did my initial inquiries with my established suppliers.

I might just ask for a quote on a Trotec system for more comparisons.

I don't run my laser 24/7/360 .. Sometimes it will sit idle for a week or two. But when orders come in it can be busy for weeks on end 8 hours a day.
Large orders (1000s small interior signs) can take up more than a week to produce. When i have other orders waiting, that amount of production time on a single job is to long.

The pricier Gravograph system would be more than i need but would be nice to have. Now "is nice to have" worth 10k more than what i need/want to spend ... Not sure, maybe :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It always seems if you buy what you think you need, you'll always be able to find ways to make things work, but if you go bigger, you'll always just ease right into things without looking back for an instant.

How many people buy the 24" and 30" printers or even 48" and always wish they had gone a little bigger ??

You'll always grow into it, but ya can never go backwards. :thumb:

Baz

Yes i was thinking the exact thing.

Going for it now might save me the expense of having to buy another unit with the extra features down the road.

:bushmill:

But it's a big commitment ...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes i was thinking the exact thing.

Going for it now might save me the expense of having to buy another unit with the extra features down the road.

:bushmill:

But it's a big commitment ...

So is a 10 year bottle.... or was it the 16 year ??

Baz

Just signed off on the LS 900 - 60 Watt.

Thanks allot for all your thoughts and suggestions. It did help me with making my final decision.

The sale price on the unit made it to attractive when compared to smaller units at regular price.
Especially up here in Canada where equipment prices are on average 35% higher due to our currency rate.

Good thing with keeping the same brand is i will be receiving the new Gravostyle 8 software and i will be able to install my older software at home
and be able to open up my jobs at the shop and not have to convert anything.

I'll post a pic when my unit arrives.

Thanks again for your help and input!

Baz

Finally got it all set up :thumb: (Apple for scale, already ate the banana)

Have both machines running today ... Sure is sweet!

Thank you all for you thoughts. It did play a factor on my final decision. :toasting:

Attachments

• 20160621_190259.jpg
    20160621_190259.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 386

bigben

Finally got it all set up :thumb: (Apple for scale, already ate the banana)

Have both machines running today ... Sure is sweet!

Thank you all for you thoughts. It did play a factor on my final decision. :toasting:

Congratulation! Can you tell us how much you paid for it? I'm planing of buying one in the near future.