• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thread tap acrylic

Josh Kuper

Any tips of threading a hole for studs in acrylic letters, 1/4" and 3/8" thick letters. We drill an undersized hole and use a tap from Home Depot that matches the stud thread, tried to tap by hand and use a drill softly but both methods seam to tear/splinter out the hold leaving the stud to barely hold in the hole

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Or, if the letters are CNC cut along with the holes you might dial in a size to allow machine screws to act as a self tap.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Try a spiral tap for soft metal, that is what we use for aluminum and it works well for acrylic. Blind holes use a bottoming tap as said above which makes it a little tougher to start by hand since there isn't much taper. A drop of dish soap works well for lubrication. For a couple hundred bucks you can get a hand operated tapping machine, definitely recommend.

Johnny Best

I have used a drill press to set depth and straightness and made sure I am using the right size drill bit for my tap to go in without cracking acrylic.

netsol

I have used a drill press to set depth and straightness and made sure I am using the right size drill bit for my tap to go in without cracking acrylic.
i would think a drill press makes it much easier
would you use a tiny drop of some sort of soap, as a lubricant?
does it make sense to back off the tap, twice per revolution, to break up the shards?
with metals you program your cnc to do this, i have never done this with wood.
i would be skittish about stress cracks, WHICH WILL SPREAD

Johnny Best

Never used soap, just use the tap by hand with the tap in the holder, the important part is getting the perfect drill bit that matches the tap so as not to apply to much pressure on sides of drilled hole. Have never had a problem with cracking the acrylic.

JWitkowski

Tap drill chart used to select correct drill size to match your desired tap & bolt size, metric & imperial.

Attachments

• Tap Drill Chart - Metric & Imp.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 210