• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Thriving Business For Sale

Hello Everyone,

For 2 years of my past 39 sign business years, I have been the sole owner of a 49 year old, well established sign business. My father, the founder of the company, retired in 1999. Although he remained there basically working until 2012, when he really stepped away and let my sister and I truly run everything. Then she retired 2 years ago when I purchased her share of the company.

Now it's time for me to sell the business and retire along with my husband who's a retired fire chief. We have 2 grandchildren that live locally and another on the way, who's parents live 5 hours away. We want to be available to help whenever they need something, and do some traveling in the U.S. I currently watch the 2 grandchildren one day a week. So that means the shop is open 4 days a week and I am still very busy.

I am located in beautiful Washington, Missouri. It's an amazing growing community! There is honestly so much potential here to do even more sign work than I currently offer.

If you are ready to buy and continue this well know family business, please contact me by phone 636-239-4061 or email jpsigns@att.net. Or if anyone has recommendations on how to sell my business I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Julie

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you have employees or is this 100% owner-operated? Long term high-value clients? Area competition? Consistent successful marketing?

These are all factors for a sale. I would get with a broker and map out a retirement plan to separate yourself from your business enough that it's self-sufficient. The sale of the business will be smoother, easier, and go for a higher value.

Reveal1

Christian is correct that there are a lot of factors that enter in to establishing value, but in the end the main factor is how much cash is historically generated for the owner and whether that's growing, stagnate, or declining. . A multiple of 1.5-3 times cash flow is one metric used in the print industry. Cash flow being whatever the owners pay themselves plus net profit.. Add to that the present value of hard assets and that would be a starting point to negotiate. Those other factors will guide the potential buyer to their perception of how much of that cashflow they are likely to see.

For what it's worth, a few years ago I was working with a broker to purchase a print-related business. They added very little value; the prospective seller had listed his business and I had networked with the owner but had to deal with the broker. A good accountant, lawyer and non-disclosure agreement are essential. If you think about it, you'll realize you have many prospective buyers either your business circle or even customers. Offhand, I can think of at least four business owners (two are customers) that would be prospective buyers if I chose to pursue it. That said, I wonder how many small sign shops are successful in selling. Unless they have unique capability or access to markets others don't, it's too easy for existing competitors to step in or a newbie to come in and fill the void, often the owner is the person with the critical sales relationships.

GB2

Old Member

janerampl

that sounds like an interesting story, maybe you can tell us a little more....What software are you using now that is so effective?

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
We recently tried to sell our very successful and profitable commercial printing and sign company. But, we found that there was very little interest. In the end, we decided to close the production facility and outsource everything becoming a home based online business. Sure we could have off-loaded it for a few hundred thousand, but, the business generates almost that much in profit every year! We knew we would lose maybe 25% of the business when we closed the shop, but, that 25% are the PITA customers we disliked anyway. The last day for the shop is this Friday and I couldn't be happier. Now I have a retirement hobby that I really enjoy and can manage the business poolside!

Stacey K

I like making signs
We recently tried to sell our very successful and profitable commercial printing and sign company. But, we found that there was very little interest. In the end, we decided to close the production facility and outsource everything becoming a home based online business. Sure we could have off-loaded it for a few hundred thousand, but, the business generates almost that much in profit every year! We knew we would lose maybe 25% of the business when we closed the shop, but, that 25% are the PITA customers we disliked anyway. The last day for the shop is this Friday and I couldn't be happier. Now I have a retirement hobby that I really enjoy and can manage the business poolside!
That's awesome! I would like to do the same thing at some in a few years. I would not sell my building but rather rent the space out that I'm in now and work from home. I don't feel like there's much money in selling a business except for the equipment/building. When the sign shop down the road sold out half the customers came to me including their largest client so not sure what the guy really bought in the end except the equipment.

garyroy

Wow, very cool. Enjoy "retirement". :thumb:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ouch, are they still kicking?
I saw someone there last week. This guy in town who has a heating business has been buying small businesses and having other people run them. He has a girl there running it. A couple months ago she was emailing me asking what I charge for printed vinyl. I never responded. I haven't heard much about it at all, a lot of people thought it was just closed and not sold.

gnubler

When the sign shop down the road sold out half the customers came to me including their largest client so not sure what the guy really bought in the end except the equipment.
I've had this same situation hovering in the back of my mind. A shop down the road from me has been for sale going on two years now. He approached me with a price, which was way too high for the equipment involved so I lost interest, and he hasn't come down a cent in all this time. If he ends up closing the doors most of the clients will come my way anyway, so I'm just waiting to see what unfolds. At that point I might be interested in some of the equipment if he liquidates the shop.

Johnny Best

Gnubler waiting to see what unfolds.

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpeg
    IMG_6011.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I was just hoping for the studded necklet...
We had a rounded education.
Colours
and
Shapes.