• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tile as a substrate

AUTO-FX

Anyone ever use tile as a substrate? i put up a new tile backsplash this weekend and the whole time I was doing it I was thinking what an interesting array of possibilities...
So what would you do - print directly on the tile? Can you do that via sublimation? Could you apply vinyl? Maybe apply vinyl to raw tile and then use an automotive clearcoat, and then install?

AUTO-FX

Absolutely beautiful work! And a very nice website as well!
You are putting vinyl on tile,and they look nice displayed on a plate cradle, but is anyone actually installing it? I'm thinking that the vinyl would be ruined with all the troweling and rubbing during the grouting.

CES020

Dye subbed tiles are beautiful and withstand the grouting process. You can make beautiful murals with them.

Drip Dry

Dye subbed tiles are beautiful and withstand the grouting process. You can make beautiful murals with them.

I do dye sub on metal, but it needs to be specially coated with
something ( I don't know what) How does that work on tile ?
Do you coat them or can you dye sub it directly to the tile.

CES020

They sell a variety of dye sub ready tiles. They are brilliant. The color is outstanding, bright and sharp. Very nice looking stuff and they are fairly inexpensive.

WildWestDesigns

I do dye sub on tiles. You really should get them pre treated for the sub process. It's a lot harder for them to take the sublimation process if it's done after the fact.

Drip Dry

I do dye sub on tiles. You really should get them pre treated for the sub process. It's a lot harder for them to take the sublimation process if it's done after the fact.

How or where do you get them pretreated ?
Can you spray something on like a paint ?

It seems that the flatbeds are what their made for, but I can't
afford 50,000 or more

WildWestDesigns

How or where do you get them pretreated ?
Can you spray something on like a paint ?

It seems that the flatbeds are what their made for, but I can't
afford 50,000 or more

You can get dye trans and unisub tiles one at a time if you want.

There is a product that you can treat them after the fact with, but it doesn't beat when they are already pre-treated for sublimation.

CES020

Don't bother with the flatbed. Just buy the dye sub tiles and have them dye subbed. It's IN the material so it won't wash off.

The dye sub tile would be my 1st choice or direct printing any day.

jdoug5170

Dye Sublimation to tile is some pretty cool stuff. I used to make full murals with the process which progressed into a manufacturing company specializing in frames for mounting the tile murals in.

Dye sub is a process requiring a polyester base material on the tile and it is best left to the pros. We all dislike the cost of pre-coated tiles, and for many of us, the cost of shipping such heavy material, but....it is the only way to go.

Great colors are possible and can be quite lovely. Now the bad news....dye sub is not UV safe and therefore must be used indoors and away from direct sunlight...and it can be scratched. Grouting must be done with sandless grout, and gentle. Also, one must not use the old scrub pad or powdered cleansers...something like windex and a soft cloth is best.

One can also purchase glass tile, sublimation ready and in this process, you actually transfer to the back of the glass and therefore it is scratch proof once installed. Still UV unstable though.

The only durable, UV safe process currently on the market is waterslide decals that can be kiln fired. Fortunately, progress is being made in that we can now print the decals on special laser printers. Still some hurdles, but coming along just fine.

Doug

WildWestDesigns

One can also purchase glass tile, sublimation ready and in this process, you actually transfer to the back of the glass and therefore it is scratch proof once installed. Still UV unstable though.

That's the way we do cutting boards as well.

The inks are not UV stable, however, they have gotten significantly better.

Zzyzx

There are a couple of processes that can be used on tiles, both use the laser engravers. one produces the black images that are shown. the other is a relative expense process that produces the color tiles or other rock material. http://atomicartimages.com/ shows this system. It produces some impressive results.

Chuck

adkmaid

I have done dye sub tiles for work with Parks when they are rehabing the new restrooms at campgrounds (wildlife scenes, and historic photos) so i thought i would try it at home too. I ordered something called digicoat that is a two part product that has to be baked in the oven to make the tiles dye sub ready. I havent used it yet so cant tell ya if it will work. I cant wait to do my shower in Adirondack style

CES020

There are a couple of processes that can be used on tiles, both use the laser engravers. one produces the black images that are shown. the other is a relative expense process that produces the color tiles or other rock material. http://atomicartimages.com/ shows this system. It produces some impressive results.

Chuck

You won't even come close to the cost of a dye sub tile. Atomic Art is a controversial company to say the least. Google them and look for discussions.

Conde sell a porcelain tile that you can use sanded grout with. The glass ones mentioned in a previous post would work excellent as well, and no long term scratches.

WildWestDesigns

I ordered something called digicoat that is a two part product that has to be baked in the oven to make the tiles dye sub ready.

That's the product that I was talking about. Couldn't remember the exact name, I wanted to say digimag. It works decent enough, it'll last a good bit if the environment that the substrate is in isn't "harsh" as application tends not to be quite as uniform as it would be during the production process.

That's just my experience though.