• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tip on Getting Hired as an Employee

SqueeGee

If you are looking to to get hired, I have the following suggestions:

Follow the directions in the ad that you're responding to. If the employer says "no phone calls", then don't call. If they ask for a resume, then send a resume, not an email saying you're interested in the job.

Make sure that everything is spelled and formatted correctly.

And lastly, for God sakes, make sure you Facebook page is either totally private OR congruent with the message that you want your potential employer to see.

I have been completely amazed at what I've encountered from people applying to a position at our company the last couple of days.

CJ Troutt

Yes that is an trying day to hire some one.
I will not use face book and very few forums.
When I do work I let my Customer know that semi retired and
My shop slogan is It's My Hobby.

S'N'S

If you are looking to to get hired, I have the following suggestions:

Follow the directions in the ad that you're responding to. If the employer says "no phone calls", then don't call. If they ask for a resume, then send a resume, not an email saying you're interested in the job.

Make sure that everything is spelled and formatted correctly.

And lastly, for God sakes, make sure you Facebook page is either totally private OR congruent with the message that you want your potential employer to see.

I have been completely amazed at what I've encountered from people applying to a position at our company the last couple of days.

There was a segment on one of the current affairs shows over here showing how employers were checking out applicants on facebook, twitter etc who were applying for a job. Its amazing some of the crap people will post about themselves and don't realize what the future consequences can be.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ok...let's take it another step further.

Once your applicant has been seated for their interview, have your secretery call their cell phone and then watch for a reaction. If they interrupt you to answer it....STRIKE THREE...you're OUT!

Jim

binki

An interview is where your prospective employee is at his best. He will never be as good as at that time.

gabagoo

Ok...let's take it another step further.

Once your applicant has been seated for their interview, have your secretery call their cell phone and then watch for a reaction. If they interrupt you to answer it....STRIKE THREE...you're OUT!

Jim

Only customers who show up at your shop without an appointment pull that stunt!!!!

WildWestDesigns

An interview is where your prospective employee is at his best. He will never be as good as at that time.

Not all the time. Some people don't actually take to well in doing interviews, but get them in more of a work environment where they are more comfortable and they do better. It just depends on the person.

signswi

Yikes you must have some terrible employees and might want to consider investing in employee training ;). They should get better over time, if they're never as good as the interview you're hiring con artists or your training/culture sucks.

CES020

I agree, there are times when I wondering if anyone listens to a word I say, so when it's time to hire, I watched closely for the details. I ended up not hiring anyone at that time.

I specifically said "MUST HAVE CORELDRAW EXPERIENCE", because 98% of what that job was for (laser engraving) was coreldraw related.

Got about 25 responses. 2 of them had CorelDraw experience. I figured the rest of them couldn't follow instructions, so I discounted them. Might be wrong on my part, but I recall a long time ago, taking a test and the first sentence of the test said "read the entire test before starting", and the very last sentence on the test said you didn't have to fill out anything, you were done. All while most of the class spend the entire class writing answers to questions on the test, only to come to the final sentence and see they had just got burned.

Ever since then, I try to pay close attention to who listens and who doesn't.

I understand you want a job. I get it. But you should also understand you met zero of the qualifications I said were a "MUST".

The 2 remaining applicants that did have experience told me to check out their websites, which I did, which both had links to flicker accounts, which showed them partying with friends, underage kids, taking photos of them bombed out of their mind, photo after photo. No thanks, I'll pass. I was kinda looking for someone that wanted to work, not someone that planned on partying until 3 every morning and then coming in to work all hung over.

Probably would have given them a shot if i hadn't seen all their photos and statements.

Bly

My last job ad replies were 98% overseas students, with English as a distant second language despite my requirement of excellent written and spoken English.
And surprisingly experience as pizza delivery boy or shelf stacker doesn't count as digital print experience.
The one bloke who did fit the bill turned out great though.

Malkin

CES020: If I were looking for work and had seen your ad, I would probably have responded. However, I have extensive experience with 2 other vector drawing programs, not Corel. Would you have discounted my resume based on that, or considered that I might easily adapt to the Corel?

Just curious...

I do agree with you though regarding instructions, that can be so infuriating!

GregT

The younger crowd is getting harder and harder to hire. The cell phone is a problem all day long, between texting what is happening later tonight, and weekend plans....ahhh! Facebook has been the 3rd strike for more than one prospective new hires. Don't people think anymore?

cartoad

We too are in the hiring mode, I have a stack of apps to go thru, and at a quick glance most did not read the instructions on information to apply. I am sure some are good, but if they don't follow directions to apply, experience has shown me that it will only get worse when they are hired. And we tell employees no cell phones, except on break, but every time you turn around they are checking the %^&* thing.

cdiesel

I've been Googling potential hires and checking Myspace/Facebook for the past couple of years. It's amazing how much you can learn about someone without ever meeting them.

It's true about people not realizing how much damage they could be causing themselves down the road with what they post online. Between all the forums, social networking sites, photo sharing, etc, all it takes is one little screw up and you may never be able to take it back.

CES020

Malkin, it would have depended on what the rest of your resume said. If it said you had sign shop experience, then I would have contacted you for an interview. However, I got none of that.

I recently interviewed a person that had a degree in graphic arts from a college well known for it's graphic artists. The person was waiting tables in a restaurant. They told me they would do anything to get away from that and into something that involved what they went to college for.

I offered them to work part time for a couple of weeks to see how we all worked together and make sure they liked the job before quitting a full time job they already had. I explained we make not like you, you may find out this isn't a good fit for you, at this point, we just didn't know and I'd like to work together a little before they gave up a full time job to find out they hated doing what we do.

They told us "No thanks, I'm not looking to work any more hours than I already do". I explained it was only for a couple of weeks and it could be at their convenience. "No thanks, I already work a full time job".

Ummm.....okay. I guess we should have offered them the job, let them work here for a week, find out they hated it, then we'd have a new employee that hated their job and we'd have to deal with all of that. That would have been okay with them. However, trying to make sure they didn't do something stupid, like give up a job they had to take a job they don't like just seemed unacceptable to them.

All the graphic art students around here want to do is design ad campaigns for premier marketing companies.