• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

how much are you tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

• zero, they get paid enough

Votes: 59 54.6%
  • 1 to 10 ... cookies or cash minimum gesture

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • 11 to 20

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • 21 to 50

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • over 50

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No.

He gets paid by his boss and I get paid by my customers.

Almost all of our money comes by way of check or credit card, we rarely see a tip.

Our UPS guy gets a nice thank you and how's your day going everytime he's in the shop which is probably 4 days a week.

If he was in it for the tips, he wouldn't be driving that big brown truck..... he'd be serving me at the bar. :beer

HulkSmash

$20.00 is more of an insult then a tip. And UPS drivers make a good living.
Our UPS driver gets 13 weeks a year paid vacation.

johnnysigns

We constantly get late night pick ups from our driver hours after their normal pick up time. We're not far from their facility and our particular driver is almost always out late so for us we have to take good care of him. This year he'll get an expensive bottle of tequila. On slow years he'll get a good bottle of port wine. They also usually drop off our ground packages when they're doing their overnight drop offs good and early. We call them on their cell phones, we can ask for them directly to their dispatch department. It's all about good service, you have to grease people if you want that extra service and for us an extra $50 every winter is worth it by miles to get this level of treatment.

401Graphics

I once did seasonal help for UPS a while back. (Driver Helper) I got paid $9.00 an hour. The driver can make $30 an hour if they have been with UPS long enough and haven't had any accidents. If anybody should get tips, its the seasonal driver helpers that are going out in the zero degree weather while the driver sits in the warm truck most of the time.

jasonx

I went to Vegas last year. First time in the states for me. I found the whole tipping thing bemusing to be honest. Coming from a country where we don't really tip it was hard to gauge the amount to tip. The act of doing it wasn't a problem for me but sometimes we got reactions like we just shot the persons mothers and other times they couldn't believe the size of the tip.

So from that stance its rather hard to determine what you should tip.

Would be better if it was just added on the bill and you didn't have to worry about it then the employers could pay their workers accordingly.

ProWraps

I went to Vegas last year. First time in the states for me. I found the whole tipping thing bemusing to be honest. Coming from a country where we don't really tip it was hard to gauge the amount to tip. The act of doing it wasn't a problem for me but sometimes we got reactions like we just shot the persons mothers and other times they couldn't believe the size of the tip.

So from that stance its rather hard to determine what you should tip.

Would be better if it was just added on the bill and you didn't have to worry about it then the employers could pay their workers accordingly.

whats funny is im a huge tipper. i visited your country and i was told that tips were not normal. it blew me away, but you are right.

kanini

If I'd try to tip my delivery guy he'd probably try to give me a receipt of the payment or desperately look for change coins in his wallet. Or he'd look at me like I'm out of my mind and destroy yet another batch of packages at the next delivery... No, tipping is not normal here either, maybe at a restaurant if you get REALLY good service, but otherwise no... Maybe he'll get a mumbeling "Merry Christmas" or something... Finnish mentality and people *sigh*...

Last edited:

DizzyMarkus

$20.00 is more of an insult then a tip.

What ever happened to a nice thought or gesture? Also for the record -- the amount was figuratively speaking, ours doesnt get cash. This time of year is suppose to be about the spirit and giving. Part of the problem with the country now a days -- the older traditions have been lost. Yes Im only 43 :Big Laugh and some seem like the grinch lol

Have a great day folks,
Markus

ThinkRight

What ever happened to a nice thought or gesture? Also for the record -- the amount was figuratively speaking, ours doesnt get cash. This time of year is suppose to be about the spirit and giving. Part of the problem with the country now a days -- the older traditions have been lost. Yes Im only 43 :Big Laugh and some seem like the grinch lol

Have a great day folks,
Markus
Something more personal is the way to go.
A fruit or cheese basket ,a product that you produce (stickers, small sign for the yard,calendars,magnets),promotional supplies.
Most people have a relationship with regular drivers, UPS, FedEx ,sign supply etc....
Just like yourself , it is nice to be recognized.
Something small that make people feel appreciated , and who does not like getting something free.
And don't forget your cash cow customers... They get the 20 year old single malt and hats and shirts....:clapping:

While Christmas is still legal,go with it.

rjssigns

I don't have that kind of cash to tip all the UPS drivers we see. We literally get a different one every time there is a delivery. Never see any of them enough to even get to know them. Deliveries are coming at all hours too.

Not like it used to be. Same guy, same time. reliable as the sunrise. Would even bring our dog her favorite treats. Would even bring our dog back when she would sneak into the truck.

You take care of those kind of people.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Tip a UPS driver? Are you unhinged?

They already make a princely wage to do their job. What would possess anyone to offer to subsidizes UPS's help or worse, bribe them into better service.

Tipping in general... A silly custom. The entire notion of subsidizing and/or bribing someone else's employees is inane. The standard cry in defense of this custom invariably refers to minimum wage workers. How is it my problem that someone with whom I find myself interacting cannot get a better job? They work where they do because that's what they have chosen for themselves.

tsgstl

I have no problem tipping someone in the service industry. It is similar to a crowd source system. Controling an average of 25%-60% of their income is fine by me. If not we could have the same kid ringing up my burger suggesting what steak I get. I have never had a ups driver deliver enough to warrant a tip but I have done favors (personal signs/banners) for any of my supply companies that I do a lot of work with. This spring I had a supply company merge several facilities. I got over 100 sheets of discontinued or slightly damaged sheet goods for $300. I got the call first because of my loyalty and personal connection to those employees. For my top customers I get personal gifts. Something that took thought is more important than cash or a gift card IMO. It is remembered.

$20 is a insult? Open your eyes and wake up. $20 means a lot to a majority of the population and I highly doubt anyone would be insulted.

VolunteerSign

I'm already old, but if I ever get old AND as jaded as Bob I hope someone will just shoot me. I haven't been here that long but surely, somewhere in time Bob has contributed something that wasn't negative....well?

CanuckSigns

We give our UPS driver a tim hortons gift card every christmas, $20 i think.

Our UPS guy does go above and beyond for us, he will come back later in the day after his scheduled pick up if we tell him we have another order that is almost ready, he brings the packages into our shop for us, no matter the weather etc.

In comparison, our purolator driver is a miserable old ba***rd, if the box weighs more than 3 lbs, he asks us to get it off the truck for him, doesn't deliver to us untill almost 4pm because he can't be bothered.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Once you gave, they will expect more. I gave them water and snack sometimes. Averagely $4,000 monthly plus bonus and vacations. Three years ago I checked, in order to get into driver position, wait three years.

Something more personal is the way to go.
A fruit or cheese basket ,a product that you produce (stickers, small sign for the yard,calendars,magnets),promotional supplies.
Most people have a relationship with regular drivers, UPS, FedEx ,sign supply etc....
Just like yourself , it is nice to be recognized.
Something small that make people feel appreciated , and who does not like getting something free.
And don't forget your cash cow customers... They get the 20 year old single malt and hats and shirts....:clapping:

While Christmas is still legal,go with it.

Agreed, last year we had 200 candy and chocolate covered pretzel, cookie plates made locally which we gave our customers and delivery guys etc. No one didn't smile when we gave them one. Many of our customers even said, "really for me!"..

The fact almost no one does it makes it a better time to do it IMHO.

This year we bought personalized mugs which my wife figured how to fill it with about ten inches of candy in a plastic wrapper.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
We have delivery service up here called speedy. A couple of years ago we had a snow storm and we were snowed in and the delivery guy couldnt make it down the driveway which is actually about 400 ft from the highway to my shop. This guy hand carted through the snow all the way to my shop. I saw these tracks and thought a cross country skier had come down the driveway until it led to my packages and I put 2 and 2 together.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm already old, but if I ever get old AND as jaded as Bob I hope someone will just shoot me. I haven't been here that long but surely, somewhere in time Bob has contributed something that wasn't negative....well?

Please explain which part of my opinion was 'negative'. That I consider something to be silly that you do not?

WildWestDesigns

They work where they do because that's what they have chosen for themselves.

Over generalization and in some instances out right false.

I know plenty of people that work where they do, because that's the job that they were able to get, but not what they would have chosen for themselves. Some out of laziness, some out of bad circumstances, but to say that they all chose this or that as a career is very much a logical fallacy.

As to what is negative about the rest of your post:

Tip a UPS driver? Are you unhinged?

They already make a princely wage to do their job. What would possess anyone to offer to subsidizes UPS's help or worse, bribe them into better service.

Tipping in general... A silly custom. The entire notion of subsidizing and/or bribing someone else's employees is inane. The standard cry in defense of this custom invariably refers to minimum wage workers. How is it my problem that someone with whom I find myself interacting cannot get a better job? They work where they do because that's what they have chosen for themselves.

What is in bold does not in my mind conjure up good warm fuzzy feelings.

Just add in the public work houses in the conversation and I can easily see Scrooge saying everything that you just did.