• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Tips to cut coroplasts quick

AJB

I cut a lot of 4 x 8 sheets of coroplast in to 24 x 18 signs. I am looking for tips to cut then safely and quicker.

Dan360

We do these with a paper cutter we use for color copy jobs. Cut along the flutes with a coro cutter and then feed them into the cutter about 8 at a time.

If you don't have one of those, panel cutter most likely. (The small guides you can set up on those make it go pretty quick)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The easiest way is to order pre-cut 18" x 24" to start with.
  • Otherwise, how many are you cutting a day ?? 50, a pallet or more ??
  • What/how are you doing it now ??
  • Are you flatbed printing them , applying digitally printed vinyl or die-cut vinyl ??

AJB

So we print direct to the material using a hybrid printer, so 18 x 24 blanks are generally not practical, at least not for large orders. We do have panel saw and it does do a good job but over the length a sheet the blade width takes nearly an inch of material (more if you cut smaller the 18") and there is only one person in my small shop comfortable using it. Presently, we use a straight edge clamp (circular saw guide) and a knife most of the time. But we are getting another printer and we are trying to push more into high volumes 100+ orders. Now most of the time in the process is the cutting an that is where i am looking for how others handle this.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
So we print direct to the material using a hybrid printer, so 18 x 24 blanks are generally not practical, at least not for large orders. We do have panel saw and it does do a good job but over the length a sheet the blade width takes nearly an inch of material (more if you cut smaller the 18") and there is only one person in my small shop comfortable using it. Presently, we use a straight edge clamp (circular saw guide) and a knife most of the time. But we are getting another printer and we are trying to push more into high volumes 100+ orders. Now most of the time in the process is the cutting an that is where i am looking for how others handle this.

KeenCut Javelin...

Example: if I had a pre-printed coro sheet of 18x24 signs (dead-cut, no gutters or bleeds needed), I could cut that down in 3-4 minutes...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, having the equipment already in-house doesn't count for you because everyone's afraid to use it, so you're looking for something safer.......?? Why not rent a tanning salon and hand out sunglasses and little jock straps ?? That should be safe for those employees.

Javelin, keen cut, fletcher, straight edge and sharp knife (so long as that employee isn't afraid of sharp objects), cor-x special cutting tool, guillotine cutters and the list goes on..... cutting down 10 sheets of substrate is maybe a 10 minute job.

Sounds more like your shop just has a whole bunch of whiners in it. Put them to work, tell them to shut the f*ck up and just do their jobs. I thought we were talking quantity when you first started............. Sheesh, 100 pieces.

Marlene

our panel saw has the option to remove the saw and replace it with a metal plate with a blade in it. does yours have that option? it works great

Gino

Premium Subscriber
our panel saw has the option to remove the saw and replace it with a metal plate with a blade in it. does yours have that option? it works great

It probably does, but that would mean they'd hafta touch the actual saw to change it out. oooooooooo..................... :eek:

C

ColoPrinthead

get a cheap stomp shear, or a fletcher - I like the stomp shear better.

equippaint

Does a stomp shear cut the coro? We've tried cutting abs sheet with ours and it wouldn't do it. It just bent over the edge and got stuck.

Employees scared of a panel saw?? Remind them that they have 9 spare fingers. Don't get your wiener in it and you'll be fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Does a stomp shear cut the coro? We've tried cutting abs sheet with ours and it wouldn't do it. It just bent over the edge and got stuck.

Employees scared of a panel saw?? Remind them that they have 9 spare fingers.
Don't get your wiener in it and you'll be fine.

Went out Blue-fishing the other day.... and our group had two large barrels for our catches and the one mate said, I'll give ya $40 if you stick your weenie in there. Ever see the frickin' teeth on a bluefish ?? Especially while they're still alive. :omg: