• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Too many sign shops!!

Locals Find!

Ya know Adtech………………

What can you produce with your own hands ?? Huh, I didn’t hear you ??

I produce Artwork with my own two hands. I produce Marketing Artwork that is what I sell. Signs to me are just canvases at the end of the day. Whether my art goes on a Sign, Postcard, a Wall or the internet doesn't really matter to me. Hell, I like it when it goes on all of it. Means I did my job.

Yeah I do lowball some product. So What?? McDonald's low balls cheeseburgers have they put Burger King out of Business? No! They lure you in with the cheap burger and sell you the fries and coke. People still go to Burger King for a Whopper. No one expects a Cheeseburger to feed them all year.

So why would you expect a coroplast sign to pay all your bills for a month? You want that big Neon or Big Install Job thats worth Thousands. Well, I want to bring it to you and get 20% for my time finding it.

How am I hurting your market share? Why does it have to be a fight between us? I bring resources to the table that you can't afford. Like knowledge of Marketing, Internet Programming, knowledge of a Companies real Budget (Not the one they tell you about) You have equipment and knowledge I don't have. Why can't a guy like me and a guy like you work together to both stay in the BLACK in this economy???

Colin

I've learned one thing over the course of my career, most clients are indeed ignorant with regard to advertising and graphics. They can't be expected to be experts in our field, they are supposed experts in their own business and naturally rely on our expertise to help them with their signs/graphics needs. I go to other professionals out of my field with the expectation that they are going to represent me in the best way possible, and it's not about price with me, it's about professional quality services/work. This is what I sell my clients.

So true. What erodes my enjoyment in this business though is how few customers actually have that humble attitude. Instead, they act like they know it all (especially when it comes to design) and are often defensive of their disasterous ideas.

:frustrated:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Man Who Sold Hot Dogs

There was a man who lived by the side of the road and sold hot dogs.
He was hard of hearing so he had no radio.
He had trouble with his eyes so he read no newspapers.
But he sold good hot dogs.

He put up signs on the highway telling how good they were.
He stood on the side of the road and cried; "buy a hot dog, mister?
And people bought.

He increased his meat and bun orders.
He bought a bigger stove to take care of his trade.
He finally got his son home from college to help him out.

But then something happened.

His son said, "Father, haven't you been listening to the radio?
Haven't you been reading the newspapers?
There's a big depression.
The European situation is terrible.
The domestic situation is worse."

Where upon the father thought, "well, my son's been to college, he reads the papers and he listens to the radio, and he ought to know."

So the father cut down on his meat and bun orders, took down his advertising signs, and no longer bothered to stand out on the highway to sell his hot dogs.

And his hot dog sales fell almost overnight.
"You're right, son" the father said to the boy.
"We certainly are in the middle of a great depression."

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Very astute Fred. Many of our problems are caused more by attitude than macroeconomics.

Yes but some attitudes are better than others ...
Bob was joining the army and they were handing out rifles when he arrived, so he got in line. When it got to Bob, they had run out of guns. The man issuing rifles gave him a broom.

"This is a magic broom -- point it at anybody, say 'Bangity bang,' and they will die."

Bob was really worried because he didn't think it would work, but he got in line for bayonets, thinking he might stand a chance if he could stab them to death. As luck would have it, Bob's turn came and they had ran out.

"Don't worry." said the man issuing them out. "I will give you this magic carrot -- point it at somebody, say 'Stabbity stab,' and they will die."

Now Bob is terrified, going into battle with a broom and carrot, when the sirens go off, signaling invasion. Bob goes out, only to be laughed at by the enemy. One enemy even comes up to him, hoping to get a good shot at him. Well, Bob didn't have anything to lose so he pointed at him and said "Bangity bang!" and the guy fell down dead. He did the same thing with the magic carrot. Amazed at what was happening, he continued to fight.

Then, a guy came slowly up to him and he would not die. Bob tried to shoot and stab him, but he wouldn't die. The last words poor Bob heard as he was being trampled over were "Tankity tank."

Greg Landers

So when the radio and newspapers are controlled by wealth, they can decide when a depression should occur, and short-sell appropriately.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haha Fred, they’re great. I think anyone can be talked into or out of anything, if the other person at least sounds sincere. Bippity Boppity Boo.

Back to Adtech….. comparing McDonald’s to Burger King or any of the other fast foods chains is kinda what I’m talking about and you’re ruining. They all offer basically the same thing with a slightly different spin on the names or the pictures…. but they are all selling for within pennies of one another. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about…. If sign shops would all sell for within pennies or dollars or whatever pay scale we’re in….. we’d have to depend on service and quality…. and not price whatsoever.

However, you don’t even have a stove top or a soda machine and you want to bring me customers by hawking like a guy at a baseball game and me give you 20% for your efforts. Now what’s wrong with that picture ??

You’re coming to a gourmet restaurant that sells one-of-kinds in multiples of any size, but you want a Mickeye D’s price. At our gourmet restaurant, you can get Veal Parmigianino, steaks of any cut, fish catch of the day, soups, yummy breads, wines and so much more than you can at a fast food chain. You are stuck with one kind of hamburger or breaded chicken, worthless salads, and waxed ice cream drinks and soda with so much sugar… you gag. How can you compare a gourmet restaurant with a Burger King or Wendy’s ??

Okay, back to signs…. where in God’s name have you ever heard me or anyone else talking about Cor-X signs lasting 7 years ?? Where do you get your information ?? Off the McDonald’s coloring paper placemats ?? C’mon man, get a grip. You’re hardly hurting my or any other sign shop’s market, but you are hurting it for guys local to you by approaching this marketplace you speak of with your broker ideas.

There’s no fight between us Adtech, not at all. It’s not personal in the slightest. I pretty much dislike ALL brokers, so don’t feel singled out by any means. It’s very basic. I broker a few things out myself, but I am a sign shop and we fabricate about 90% to 95% of our wares in-house. There comes a time when I need to sub things out and I make those decisions when to do so or not. I might even sub out a job we could do in-house, but for scheduling restraints or too many deadlines, I have to have others doing work for us. However, other than putting a design together for a post card or a business card or even a Cor-X sign, you sub it all out. Now here’s where it gets interesting.

Now, you need to stay competitive, so I bid a job out using 3/4” MDO with cut out letters and a digitally printed scene and copy of about 20 words and installed 15 miles from our shop. All materials, labor and out-a-pocket expenses come to about $275 to $300. I quote it for $975. including everything and installation. Now you quote the same job, you find someone that will make this for around $750. You add your percentage…. what was that again ?? 40% ?? I doubt you’ll be capable of competing with me, so you either have to take a smaller percentage which hardly makes it worth your while or a cheaper wholesaler. Aha….. now you find someone to do it for $600 and you’re gonna charge $850. The main thing is…. if you compare apples to apples, this new wholesaler of yours won’t be making the sign for anything near the same quality or material-wise and you’re really giving the customer a sign made for about $150 for $850. You’re really moving along now, huh ??

Was I in the ballpark with that 40% or do you try to at least double your investment ?? Kinda hard to do if you can’t control anything. So, you broker guys go around looking for the cheapest guy in town that will sell you a sign and you eventually become known as scum.

Brokering can work, but as long as you sell and don’t try to compete against your own competition. Find one good shop and treat them fairly and you’ll do wonders for yourself… and them, but don’t pretend to be a sign shop and not lowballing if you really are. :banghead:

Locals Find!

Haha Fred, they’re great. I think anyone can be talked into or out of anything, if the other person at least sounds sincere. Bippity Boppity Boo.

Back to Adtech….. comparing McDonald’s to Burger King or any of the other fast foods chains is kinda what I’m talking about and you’re ruining. They all offer basically the same thing with a slightly different spin on the names or the pictures…. but they are all selling for within pennies of one another. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about…. If sign shops would all sell for within pennies or dollars or whatever pay scale we’re in….. we’d have to depend on service and quality…. and not price whatsoever.

However, you don’t even have a stove top or a soda machine and you want to bring me customers by hawking like a guy at a baseball game and me give you 20% for your efforts. Now what’s wrong with that picture ??

You’re coming to a gourmet restaurant that sells one-of-kinds in multiples of any size, but you want a Mickeye D’s price. At our gourmet restaurant, you can get Veal Parmigianino, steaks of any cut, fish catch of the day, soups, yummy breads, wines and so much more than you can at a fast food chain. You are stuck with one kind of hamburger or breaded chicken, worthless salads, and waxed ice cream drinks and soda with so much sugar… you gag. How can you compare a gourmet restaurant with a Burger King or Wendy’s ??

Okay, back to signs…. where in God’s name have you ever heard me or anyone else talking about Cor-X signs lasting 7 years ?? Where do you get your information ?? Off the McDonald’s coloring paper placemats ?? C’mon man, get a grip. You’re hardly hurting my or any other sign shop’s market, but you are hurting it for guys local to you by approaching this marketplace you speak of with your broker ideas.

There’s no fight between us Adtech, not at all. It’s not personal in the slightest. I pretty much dislike ALL brokers, so don’t feel singled out by any means. It’s very basic. I broker a few things out myself, but I am a sign shop and we fabricate about 90% to 95% of our wares in-house. There comes a time when I need to sub things out and I make those decisions when to do so or not. I might even sub out a job we could do in-house, but for scheduling restraints or too many deadlines, I have to have others doing work for us. However, other than putting a design together for a post card or a business card or even a Cor-X sign, you sub it all out. Now here’s where it gets interesting.

Now, you need to stay competitive, so I bid a job out using 3/4” MDO with cut out letters and a digitally printed scene and copy of about 20 words and installed 15 miles from our shop. All materials, labor and out-a-pocket expenses come to about $275 to $300. I quote it for $975. including everything and installation. Now you quote the same job, you find someone that will make this for around $750. You add your percentage…. what was that again ?? 40% ?? I doubt you’ll be capable of competing with me, so you either have to take a smaller percentage which hardly makes it worth your while or a cheaper wholesaler. Aha….. now you find someone to do it for $600 and you’re gonna charge $850. The main thing is…. if you compare apples to apples, this new wholesaler of yours won’t be making the sign for anything near the same quality or material-wise and you’re really giving the customer a sign made for about $150 for $850. You’re really moving along now, huh ??

Was I in the ballpark with that 40% or do you try to at least double your investment ?? Kinda hard to do if you can’t control anything. So, you broker guys go around looking for the cheapest guy in town that will sell you a sign and you eventually become known as scum.

Brokering can work, but as long as you sell and don’t try to compete against your own competition. Find one good shop and treat them fairly and you’ll do wonders for yourself… and them, but don’t pretend to be a sign shop and not lowballing if you really are. :banghead:

No Gino I get someone to make me that sign for $600.00 if I am going to "Bid" the job. Then I sell it for about $950. Now, I am not interested in that job.

I bring it to you. You know your going to get $950 for that job. I want 20% for bringing you the job in a neatly wrapped package with a Bow on it.

You don't have to do artwork you don't have to measure the job, you don't have to take pictures of the site etc..etc..etc..

Why am I not worth $190 to you then? You still get $460 for basically getting a job handed over to you. Seems fair to me.

Like I said before I deal in a very small niche. I like my niche. When it comes to a big job I want to bring it to a guy like you. I tell my client I am hiring you to do it. I get the art charge from them and 20% to you. Who loses??

Locals Find!

One other thing

Gino,

One other thing I have worked in Sign Shops for over 10 years before becoming a broker.If I had the desire I could simply go out buy an existing shop right now for $100,000. Complete turnkey operation with multiple printers, plotters, laminators etc....I know what to do. I know how to run a shop and my business.

I don't because, I don't want to deal with siting in a shop day in and day out.

So stop putting down Brokers because, Frankly without us. Most of you wouldn't be in business. We were your sales people and your operators. We are the guys that got tired of getting $10 an hour while you worked us to death. We were the guys barely making rent every month while you ate steak and went of vacation. We ordered your supplies, did your books, made the signs, quoted the jobs. Did all that while your were making the big bucks on our backs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gi
So stop putting down Brokers because, Frankly without us. Most of you wouldn't be in business. We were your sales people and your operators. We are the guys that got tired of getting $10 an hour while you worked us to death. We were the guys barely making rent every month while you ate steak and went of vacation. We ordered your supplies, did your books, made the signs, quoted the jobs. Did all that while your were making the big bucks on our backs.

I was actually going to let go of this one until you blurted this rubbish out. You couldn't let well enough alone.

The only brokers I've ever used were pure crap. Like I said, I don't like any brokers. You guys have single-handedly ruined this industry far worse then the newbies. At least they can be trained and pointed in the right direction. People such as yourself that say ridiculous things like you worked there for 10 years and can buy a business in a snap of the fingers for 100K are a dime a dozen. With your theories.... you aren't worth a red cent or you'd still be working there.

I personally never worked anyone to death. Any shop owner I know takes good care of his employees. We protect them from many things by giving them a good paycheck for their services and keeping them working. Your statements are a true indication of why I despise you and your kind. You want to be my friend and shove a bone my way for 20%.

You probably worked in shops and couldn't fend for yourself and now you're gonna try to prove to the world why you are so much smarter than the owners that have kicked you out of their shops for loafing and bad mouthing them. I've seen your kind so many times it makes me sick.... :Oops: there's a little upchuck in my throat............

Did my books, ordered my supplies, made my the signs all on your back. You are one mixed up F*** and you've just proved yourself over and over of what your kind are all about. You couldn't afford rent money, but yet you can go out and buy a business. Pfft.... on you.
No wonder I GINO.gif

Locals Find!

I was actually going to let go of this one until you blurted this rubbish out. You couldn't let well enough alone.

The only brokers I've ever used were pure crap. Like I said, I don't like any brokers. You guys have single-handedly ruined this industry far worse then the newbies. At least they can be trained and pointed in the right direction. People such as yourself that say ridiculous things like you worked there for 10 years and can buy a business in a snap of the fingers for 100K are a dime a dozen. With your theories.... you aren't worth a red cent or you'd still be working there.

I personally never worked anyone to death. Any shop owner I know takes good care of his employees. We protect them from many things by giving them a good paycheck for their services and keeping them working. Your statements are a true indication of why I despise you and your kind. You want to be my friend and shove a bone my way for 20%.

You probably worked in shops and couldn't fend for yourself and now you're gonna try to prove to the world why you are so much smarter than the owners that have kicked you out of their shops for loafing and bad mouthing them. I've seen your kind so many times it makes me sick.... :Oops: there's a little upchuck in my throat............

Did my books, ordered my supplies, made my the signs all on your back. You are one mixed up F*** and you've just proved yourself over and over of what your kind are all about. You couldn't afford rent money, but yet you can go out and buy a business. Pfft.... on you.
No wonder I View attachment 56499

I am successful because, I do what none of you could. Compete. I know my business I represent Companies that wouldn't even let you in the door. Yeah I could think of about 3 shops right now I could purchase with 1 phone call.

It seems to me your Jealous that my business model works better than yours.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am successful because, I do what none of you could. Compete. I know my business I represent Companies that wouldn't even let you in the door. Yeah I could think of about 3 shops right now I could purchase with 1 phone call.

It seems to me your Jealous that my business model works better than yours.

Yep.

You nailed it. I'm gonna go now. You really put me in my place. :Sleeping:

Ya know, this whole thing was totally stupid. Go buy your shop and have a great day. See ya tomorrow.

.......and by the way.... there a quite a few places that won't let me in the door, but not for the reasons you think. :ROFLMAO:

turbo

it all goes back to another post that everyone got pissed at me.
When I was painting and crafting signs you could name your price and the other sign guys/girls in town would not try to under cut you because we were all PROFESSIONALS. I knew all the shops in town and they knew me. On many occasions doing tractor trailers I would bring in other Sign Pros to help.
The town I live in now is 125,000 people at last count 72 sign shops. Been here 10 years and know and work with only one other shop.
Something to be said about competition I guess.

Colin

^^^ A pair of 1x2 mags with digi print for $28.00?!?!

Kill me. Kill me now.

Did they get all their equipment for free?

Locals Find!

now i can sell my printer, i don't have to wait days to get my order printed, i can get it locally!!!

here's just an example of how crazy prices are getting.

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/bfs/2012732702.html

We are offering Banners and Magnetics at Wholesale price! (The cheapest in the valley!) + FREE DESIGN SERVICE!

2-12x24 Full Color = $28
2-18x24 Full Color = $40

Ridiculous!

I won't even go anywhere near this cheap or expect anyone else too.

Locals Find!

But expect the buyer to "go near" this price.

I am not sure what you meant by that Colin. In my Market I get $59 for 12 x 18 and $95 for 18 x 24.

Now I am in SW Florida in Lee County we are the Foreclosure Capital of the World currently. When I say I can't get a certain price I really mean I can't get it. The money is not here.

Maybe other Areas of the Country are doing better.

Here is a link to the prices I pay on Magnets from a Sign Shop I have a good relationship with that is for sale currently. http://www.vehicle-magnets.com/

Just some perspective on pricing in my market.

Colin

I am not sure what you meant by that Colin.

I meant that, thanks to this stupid-low pricing, signs have become a commodity, as opposed to a form of advertising with inherent value.

Those giving sigange away for the "time+materials" equation are dragging the whole industry down, and not charging for the inherent value of that form of advertising. It seems like the other forms of advertising (radio, newspapers, yellowpages, magazines, TV, etc) haven't been so stupid.

Last edited:

Locals Find!

I meant that, thanks to this stupid-low pricing, signs have become a commodity, as opposed to a form of advertising with inherent value.

Those giving sigange away for the "time+materials" equation are dragging the whole industry down, and not charging for the inherent value of that form of advertising. It seems like the other forms of sdvertising (radio, newspapers, magazines, TV etc) haven't been so stupid.

I can see where your coming from Colin. Its hard for some to understand that. To me signage itself is the canvas for the Artwork. That is why I get mad when Sign Shops, Brokers and anyone else gives away the Art.

At the end of the Day the sign blank is a commodity the Artwork makes it Marketing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
<Twilight Zone Music> do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do

A little bit of deja vu there.............. :ROFLMAO:​