• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Town wants me to pay permitting fee to put their own sign on their property.

SignProPlus-Chip

The town donated land for a public park project, keep in mind the town still owns the land.

We were tasked with creating a "coming soon" style sign for the project. Keep in mind this type of sign, according to their own codes & ordinances does NOT require a permit as long as the sign in constructed and set in place within certain guidelines. Our sign is in full compliance.

Today marks week #3 of arguing with the town about the sign. See we had full approval, but the old permitting person left and it seems nobody else knows the codes as well.

First we were told the sign still needed a permit package, even though their own rules said we didn't. Begrudgingly, I played along and brought in the paperwork today.

I was informed that we still needed to pay a permit fee and that it could not be waived. That right, an un-waivalable fee for a sign that is not supposed to be permitted in the first place.

The best part is that we are DONATING this sign to a local non-profit organization that are raising the funds for the park. The town owns the land, and wants us to pay for a permit to install a free sign for a town park on town property.

So do I pay the permit fee then bill the town for the fee plus time to deal with all of this?

I need a scotch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If we do work for the/any municipality, they MUST obtain their own permits. I ain't gonna be going through their petty bullsh!t for them and not passing the buck. I always tell them they are fully responsible. No likey..... no can do-ie. :noway:

Your biggest mistake here is..... it sounds as if you have nothing in writing. You always, as in ALWAYS must get all approvals in writing, just for incidents like this when some bonehead leaves and another numbskull takes his/her place. :rolleyes:

SignProPlus-Chip

Ahhh, but there is the rub. We didn't need any approval, because it's not supposed to be permitted.

Thankfully, I finally got some phone time with the head planner...problem solved, logic won out, and he gave us immediate verbal approval.

If we do work for the/any municipality, they MUST obtain their own permits. I ain't gonna be going through their petty bullsh!t for them and not passing the buck. I always tell them they are fully responsible. No likey..... no can do-ie. :noway:

Your biggest mistake here is..... it sounds as if you have nothing in writing. You always, as in ALWAYS must get all approvals in writing, just for incidents like this when some bonehead leaves and another numbskull takes his/her place. :rolleyes:

shoresigns

Ahhh, but there is the rub. We didn't need any approval, because it's not supposed to be permitted.

Thankfully, I finally got some phone time with the head planner...problem solved, logic won out, and he gave us immediate verbal approval.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right bonehead to speak to. That said, most of the city planning people in our municipalities are quite friendly and helpful. Most of them seem to take pride in helping small businesses grow in their district.

knucklehead

I was going to say, have a scotch, with the local newspaper person. Maybe, even buy him/her one too. But, since you got a 'verbal approval', everything's gotta be good. Until........

Laz0924

Permit

The Building Official has the authority to waive the permit, I work for a city. Also always ask for the code number so you can look it up.

phototec

your biggest mistake here is..... It sounds as if you have nothing in writing. You always, as in always must get all approvals in writing, just for incidents like this when some bonehead leaves and another numbskull takes his/her place. :rolleyes:

yep!

Attachments

• Numbskull-bonehead m.jpg
    Numbskull-bonehead m.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 76

visual800

I would drop the whole project and blame it on city and make it public what a**holes you are dealing with. I would personally have NO TIME for this aggravation, especially for a donated project

Pat Whatley

I'd have just put the dang thing up if I knew the thing didn't need a permit regardless of what some squid said I needed.

MikePro

glad it worked out!

I'da simply donated the sign, on the front steps of city hall. They have people, that are paid to be hassled, to put it up with/without permit.