• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tracking goes off after 100in

cptcorn

adad
What the hell is up with this thing...

Mimaki CG160fx.... after about 80-100in the tracking starts to shift. The other machine I was on could easily do 300in runs.

Rollers look to be in good condition... using 2 rollers on 24in material...

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Alex

Vinylman

First thing that comes to mind is to check to make sure that the plotter is set on a "Dead Level Surface".
If the machine is not "Dead Level" the side load {even if it is only slight} will eventually cause tracking error.

As a side note, "I wonder what "Dead" has to do with being "Level"? Inquiring minds want to know..

cptcorn

adad
First thing that comes to mind is to check to make sure that the plotter is set on a "Dead Level Surface".
If the machine is not "Dead Level" the side load {even if it is only slight} will eventually cause tracking error.

As a side note, "I wonder what "Dead" has to do with being "Level"? Inquiring minds want to know..

Plotter is level.

Use 3 pinch rollers with full presure and cut a full roll, make sur it's lined up stright.

I've used 2 3 and 4 rollers. I've tried High and Low pressure. I use the wrap the vinyl around down to the roll, pull tight, clamp down meathod...

Everytime... 75/80 inches out it starts to track off to the left... 90/120 inches and it's off the roller and it wads up in the plotter.

Frustrating...

TheSnowman

Is it free to move on both sides of the plotter? I had it bunching up a little behind the plotter once cause I was trying to cut too much, and I just should have moved it away from the wall. It wrinkled just enough to make it start tracking bad. I assume you would have noticed it doing that, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

cptcorn

adad
Is it free to move on both sides of the plotter? I had it bunching up a little behind the plotter once cause I was trying to cut too much, and I just should have moved it away from the wall. It wrinkled just enough to make it start tracking bad. I assume you would have noticed it doing that, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

It happens before any of that comes into play. Essentially when I feed out that amount to see if it's tracking correctly... and it does it.

Vinylman

cptcorn:
The next thing that comes to mind, is the question " How old is your plotter?".
It may be that over time the grit wheels that move the vinyl forward and back have become ever so slightly worn. Thus causing uneven pressure on the driveing parts?
How clean are the grit rollers? Any build up on them?
perhaps the rubber feed rollers on top of the material are beginning to break down slightly? These are the things that come to mind for me.
Another possible solution is, can you run your long plots in a "tiling" mode where by you cut shorter sections of a much longer graphic?

Not sure if your driver program allows that, but if it does that would be my solution, at least until you get the tracking issue resolved.

cptcorn

adad
cptcorn:
The next thing that comes to mind, is the question " How old is your plotter?".
It may be that over time the grit wheels that move the vinyl forward and back have become ever so slightly worn. Thus causing uneven pressure on the driveing parts?
How clean are the grit rollers? Any build up on them?
perhaps the rubber feed rollers on top of the material are beginning to break down slightly? These are the things that come to mind for me.
Another possible solution is, can you run your long plots in a "tiling" mode where by you cut shorter sections of a much longer graphic?

Not sure if your driver program allows that, but if it does that would be my solution, at least until you get the tracking issue resolved.
1 year old roughly...

The grit wheels are new looking. The rubber rollers appear to be in good condition and there's nothing built up on them. I can tile the stuff yes... but... it's a pain int he ass when I should be able to cut 300+ inches...

Someone sent me PM suggesting I use FineCut... I do use fine cut for everything. This problem is happening before any cutting is even to begin. This happens when feeding out material to check to see if the tracking of the material is good.

tomence

I have the same problem but with Graphtec ce5000-60 and i just bought it like two months ago, but last week i had a long job to do and it did't track good at all, i try everything what i was told but nothing helped, and i do use different brands of vinyl but same story. so i guess i have to do more runs per job than all at once.

Techman

is it pulling of the roll? is the roll straight? Pre-feed out the material of the roll so that the heavy weight does not alter accuracy....

cptcorn

adad
is it pulling of the roll? is the roll straight? Pre-feed out the material of the roll so that the heavy weight does not alter accuracy....

This is one thing I haven't tried yet, only due to lack of time... when I get a minute I'll report back...

zgraphics

let the machine pull the roll of vinyl or banner when printing.. I've printed 35 feet plus straight with no problems. I just pull the material evenly and works great, before i use to pull and give slack to the material and it would still go off track. good luck

cptcorn

adad
No good...
Pulling from roll when feeding material, or manual unrolling and then feeding... same thing...

I think it's now narrowed down to the rollers... I think... hrmmm

cptcorn

adad
Just a follow up... I swapped around some of the rollers. One of the rubber rollers id definitely out of spec. After swapping I easily burned through a 30y roll... Awesome!