• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trademark question

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a client who worked for "Nomad Pipeline Services" - it is now out of business. He is starting is own business and wants to call it "Nomad Surface Preparation" but would like to use the same font/colors.

I said I need to look into this. For your viewing purposes, I've created a quick logo of what he is thinking of doing...and the original logo from a sweatshirt he gave me. He doesn't want the little mark on the "O".

My suggestion would be that he talk to his attorney to see if this is trademarked? Has anyone had this happen? Please advise...thank you!

Attachments

• 1Nomad.JPG
    1Nomad.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 368
  • NMD2.JPG
    NMD2.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 341

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Quite honestly, this is a question for his attorney, first. As for the similarity..... if the other company went outta business, why would he wanna be associated at all with them. I'd try talking him into a clean split, altogether.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a client who worked for "Nomad Pipeline Services" - it is now out of business. He is starting is own business and wants to call it "Nomad Surface Preparation" but would like to use the same font/colors.

I said I need to look into this. For your viewing purposes, I've created a quick logo of what he is thinking of doing...and the original logo from a sweatshirt he gave me. He doesn't want the little mark on the "O".

My suggestion would be that he talk to his attorney to see if this is trademarked? Has anyone had this happen? Please advise...thank you!

Well, what happens when one of the owners decides to go back into business? O Does he now have to come up with a new design? Or if the new guy doesn't run his business well, and creditors and ticked off customers are now chasing down the old owners because they are confused by the branding? I'd say he needs to get written permission from the old business owner if he wants to copy....or better yet, just come up with something original.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Well, what happens when one of the owners decides to go back into business? O Does he now have to come up with a new design? Or if the new guy doesn't run his business well, and creditors and ticked off customers are now chasing down the old owners because they are confused by the branding? I'd say he needs to get written permission from the old business owner if he wants to copy....or better yet, just come up with something original.
Totally agree and I didn't think about the old owners possibly going back into business. He needs his attorney to get written permission from the old owner or START CLEAN...makes perfect sense. The old business is in MN and the new on is WI...not sure there would be much confusion as the customer base is vastly different between the business products. Thank you both!!

unclebun

On the other hand, that company name layout is so generic, I think any of us could have typed it up without ever having seen the original company's logo.