• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Travel Time and Charges

LoGl

Hey All,

I was curious how much people add for trip charges? Do you charge by the hour, by the miles? And then at what rate? As a general question I would like to know your thoughts.

Then, I have a special case where I am subcontracting some work out and in order to save some precious time and so as not to send signs that could easily be damaged through UPS, I am going to pick up the signs at my vendor. I will have to drive roughly an hour and a half there and then back or total of about 120 miles ( I know...math is incorrect here, but backroads involved). I could just add a "rush" charge, but for my own sake, I would like to have a number in mind for extra running around that makes sense.

Anyone? Thanks!

Lori

Edna

$1 per mile as it comes up on Google Maps. Keeps it simple to figure.
I only figure miles to the site, not there and back.

HulkSmash

Load the truck get ready to leave. 20 min
drive there 15-30 min, do the job 1hr, maybe more? drive back, 15-30 min.
unload 10 min. 2 guys maybe? depending on the install.

While you leave shop work stops. Production is minimal because of the lack of personal.

I have to make $125 an hr or i make 0 dollars.
literally.

TXFB.INS

Depends the vehicle, if its a site evaluation / easy installation then by the hour to a from the site

if the bucket truck has to go then the hourly rate plus a mileage charge to cover the extra fuel

Jillbeans

If I have to go out to a site to measure, etc. and it's further than 25 miles out, I will charge a trip fee of $25. If they hire me, I will deduct that from the price of the job.
Of course, if it was more than 100 miles I would charge the equivalent of a tank of gas.
But that never happens to me.

If I have to deliver something that is more than 25 miles away, depending on the job, I'll charge $25 towards gas. If it's a big job (over $500) I will waive that fee.
In the case of your job I would probably charge a tank of gas worth.
A job I did awhile back involved me driving to the NY state line to deliver signs and I charged $75.
These were too big/too fragile to trust to UPS.
Love....Jill

LoGl

3 hours plus of prime time to ensure no damage.

Tough call

Yeah...in most cases I wouldn't dream of giving up prime time...and to boot I have to drive on a Friday afternoon which typically sucks on top of the regular commute. But it's for a good customer who has just given us another major part of her business that she was doing at another vendor previously and it will be nice easy business on most occasions...this time it happened to be a bit of a tight schedule...so due to that time crunch they are aware that the cost is higher and I just want to be paid for my time running around and not necessarily call it a "rush charge", so I will add it on to the overall cost.

I appreciate all of the input. I guess calling it $1.25 per mile gets me my hourly rate in most cases unless there is crazy mad traffic. Because its true...if I'm not in the shop...I'm not making money.

Have a great weekend coming up all! You guys (and girls!) are great!

J

john1

So you guys get crazy money for somewhere even 5 minutes up the road? (I'm in a small town so this is common) I understand charging for time, even 5 minutes up the road but not seeing 100's happening.

Speaking of travel time reminds me of this time travel sign. :cool:

Attachments

• TIME-TRAVEL-SIGN.jpg
    TIME-TRAVEL-SIGN.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 55