• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trifold brochure

Techman

Capitalize the first letter of each word in that url. ITs way to hard to read or know what it is and now one will use it on impulse.

Make your copy about how you will cure some pain in their life. What you have says nothing about curing any pain.

Capitalize the first letter of each word in that url. ITs way to hard to read or know what it is and now one will use it on impulse.

Make your copy about how you will cure some pain in their life. What you have says nothing about curing any pain.

Personally, I think we have needed a shorter URL since we started our business, or at least one that links to our site. I've never been thrilled about a 28 letter URL, in fact I think it's kind of worthless. Even if people do take the time to type it all in, they likely misspell it the first time around, as missing a letter or two out of 28 letters is pretty easy. I've seen people do it a bunch of times while typing the URL right in front of me.

On another note, however, I will be adding a QR code to the brochure. I downloaded our QR code this afternoon and am changing the layout yet again. This is turning into a good learning experience for me and I'm glad because designing brochures is pretty difficult compared to business cards and folders. Brochures are definitely one of the harder things in general that I've had to design. I'm glad I don't do websites.

I'm thinking about the way we can make customers lives easier and painless but nothing stands out...I mean REALLY stands out. I'm trying to think of a niche or something we do different compared to other sign shops. This may take some thought as we probably have two dozen sign shops that we are competing with within a 30 mile radius of us. I can use the usual "Top quality products", "Outstanding customer service", or "Fast turnarounds" but a lot of shops claim that. And we certainly aren't going to be the "Lowest prices!" shop. I'm starting to realize I may never get this brochure done, but hopefully I'll be a much better designer and marketer by the time I do.

Here is where I am at with the front of the brochure now. Wow, what a 180 from the first go around, but I'm getting happier and happier with it. I'm still not convinced that we need to have the option of mailing them but I will see what my partner says and the idea will either sink or swim.

Attachments

• Brochure_Front Side 5 copy.jpg
    Brochure_Front Side 5 copy.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 69

Techman

"Top quality products", "Outstanding customer service", or "Fast turnarounds"

The worst thing u can say.. Every one says that.

Why not hire a real professional copy writer to write some meaningful copy for that brochure?

John Butto

outside

something to attract attention... less copy, I know it will be said but you do not want to just show screenprinting, but a picture shows a thousand words and it shows you are not just another signguy who just throws words and photos together

The worst thing u can say.. Every one says that.

Why not hire a real professional copy writer to write some meaningful copy for that brochure?

Because I wouldn't even know where to begin. Where does one go about hiring a copy writer without hiring the whole advertising firm? Keep in mind we are a new company, on a thin budget, especially since we just purchased a new 6 color screen press that we have another 60 days to pay off. And I would also like to get this material out to print sometime this week, as we REALLY want to get out and do some advertising this winter and spring. How fast of results can one expect if we were to hire a copy writer?

something to attract attention... less copy, I know it will be said but you do not want to just show screenprinting, but a picture shows a thousand words and it shows you are not just another signguy who just throws words and photos together

I love your sketches, John. Very cool idea. We had entertained the idea of doing two brochures...one for signs and one for the screen printing. What do you think of that? Overkill? Or could it possibly be the better solution?

John Butto

They will look at the front with just a hint of the squeegee and then open it up to see the whole thing and then flip it over to see what the inside has out of curiosity. They will see the confusion of all the pics and copy and go back to the front and see the tag line and then look for your webpage and go from there. The only time I read a trifold brochure is the chinese take out menu and the $10 off coupon on an oil change from the Ford dealership.

signswi

Your typography is incredibly weak and the layout doesn't seem to have any structure. Are you a trained designer? I suggest buying a trifold template from a source like graphicriver and inserting your information. They aren't all great but most are better than what you have. At the very least spend a couple of days looking at brochures to get a sense of what works and what doesn't and enroll in a typography class, even online, asap.

http://graphicriver.net/category/print-templates/brochures

Your typography is incredibly weak and the layout doesn't seem to have any structure. Are you a trained designer? I suggest buying a trifold template from a source like graphicriver and inserting your information. They aren't all great but most are better than what you have. At the very least spend a couple of days looking at brochures to get a sense of what works and what doesn't and enroll in a typography class, even online, asap.

http://graphicriver.net/category/print-templates/brochures

Thanks for the link to the templates. I had considered using a template from the start but I don't have access to any good templates and didn't really consider purchasing them. I actually would rather learn by doing, anyway. Although time consuming, it ultimately will help me reach my goal to design better. I don't have formal design training and would agree I could certainly use it. I have, however, been an artist my whole life. I owned a tattoo studio and specialized in custom tattoos and realistic black and grey one hundred percent. I became afflicted with essential tremor in my left (drawing) hand and had to retire from tattooing 3 years ago at the age of 36. I have now directed my passion toward sign making and have been in the business professionally for a year with my partner who is a screen printer. I definitely have a lot to learn and thank you for not holding back.

I do have a question. Are you referring to the entire progression of 3 layouts I have posted, or simply the first, which I too would agree is pitiful at best. Just making sure you didn't just read the first post and actually saw the other two I posted later.

Another question...as far as typography goes, I would guess you are referring to the overall structure of the text and not the use of font/s themselves, correct? Any additional feedback with regards to that would be great.

De.signs Nanaimo

Typography is a whole 'nother ball game, and art and science. My advice is don't sweat it too much, but in my experience simple is best, small amounts of info, a few great well placed photos (stay away from assorted tilts and rotations). But honestly focus on your online presence, print advertising is slowly dying!