• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trolling for Business at Signs 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_billy

Good Reading

I put a phrase in my wife's Daycare Contract years ago, "Lack of enforcement of a particular policy at any given time, doesn't mean the policy doesn't exist." It works for her.

Bill

jiarby

LOL!

I though this thread was about the guy that had to print 100 banners this weekend. I didn't notice IT WAS FROM FIVE YEARS AGO!

Way to go ION for bumping a 3 year old thread (and even then it was a bump of a 2 year old thread!) just to do some admin butt kissing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred: FYI unsolicited advertisements are not "trolling" they are spam. :)

blueboy.gif
You may or may not be correct ... but you understood what I was trying to say even though you may disagree with the definition of the word I chose to use. I do stand by my use of the term "trolling" however, because it describes the act of fishing for business. To me, the definition of "spam" has more to do with widely broadcasting an advertising message and which is often a fraudulent offer whereas trolling is more targeted and individual and is usually a legitimate offer from an unauthorized provider.

Clear as mud?

Mosh

Merchant member or not..I see some posts on here that look like they are from used car salesmen looking for work. They always have "bump" or "save money while you sleep" You know how you are and guess what, that type of desperation turns me off from even giving you a look. The way I look at it, it is fine tell us you are here, but don't use forum to to jamb yourself down our throat.

The mosh has gotten off his soapbox....

Mosh

Mikey_ we gots the cheaper that cheapest soap-boxes, and the are printed with outdoor ink guar-an-damn-teed to last 6 months indoors...or 1/4 your money back!

mikey-Oh

Mikey_ we gots the cheaper that cheapest soap-boxes, and the are printed with outdoor ink guar-an-damn-teed to last 6 months indoors...or 1/4 your money back!

Oh I know Mosher, you're my wholesaler (wink, wink;nudge, nudge). Just trying to appealing to the southern market. International orders add $250 bucks because I'm too lazy to calculate shipping

(oh snaps, this is the open forum.... )

VinylLabs.com

blueboy.gif
You may or may not be correct ... but you understood what I was trying to say even though you may disagree with the definition of the word I chose to use. I do stand by my use of the term "trolling" however, because it describes the act of fishing for business. To me, the definition of "spam" has more to do with widely broadcasting an advertising message and which is often a fraudulent offer whereas trolling is more targeted and individual and is usually a legitimate offer from an unauthorized provider.

Clear as mud?

I understood you meant, and probably should have kept my mouth shut. My written English is not that great, so if I had offended you, please let me know. I was just letting you know that the term you were using was actually something else, it you want to continue using it, by all means, go right ahead, it's your forum, and thus your rules.

I undestood from your previous post that someone had made a post about something, and a bunch of members PM'd him offering their services. I took this as spam: as in unsolicited and unasked for messages
Forum spam is the creating of messages that are advertisements or otherwise unwanted on Internet forums.

A troll however ( I deal with MANY of them on the forums I administer, they are usually hard to deal with, I had to close my personal forum down because the trolls on there created an enviroment where newcomers were not welcome unless they out trolled one of my members)
Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

"Trolling" isn't simply "harmful statements". Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are "flaming".

Just as bad as trolling is "Feeding the Trolls". This is when people say stuff that they know will prompt someone to respond with a trolled reply and/or replying to comments that are blatantly from a troll. This is especially true when a troll first makes his comment/reply, and (usually many) people respond, either trying to correct the troll, or express anger at the statement. At that point, the trolling was successful and has been fed.

When encouraged by success and feeding, trolls often return.

Like I said, it's your forum, your rules, I had just stated that they were not the same, but you are welcome to use them as you see fit. I will not reply to this thread with the same topic, because I do not wish to hijack your thread. I had simply made a friendly observation.

However, If my voice means nothing here, I must have a premium membership, I'll gladly upgrade to be taken seriously. Otherwise, posts that followed your last post actually kind of hurt me, I thought this was a professional forum, and if I was expecting to be flamed here I would not have posted under my real account.

I never meant any offense. I'm sorry if some was taken.

Kind'a like your .com name, eh?
My name is to spamming as your post is to trolling. (no offense intended) I've been a member for 5 years. I checked when signing up whether it was against the rules. I had made it to associate to my site. If it is currently against the rules, then my name can be changed, that is no bother on my part.

The site has NOTHING for sale. Just a shopping cart? (c)2008? What gives?
No. I registered the domain around 2001-2002 after leaving my aunts sign company. I was starting up a company for decal and sign consultancy. I had a small static site site up, but then decided to get into e-commerce. around 2006 I started working on my site, but had a server crash losing about 4-5 sites I had not yet backed up. I setup a site again in 2008 (just the cart, nothing on it) and got busy with my fulltime job (I'm a web developer) I stopped working with banners and decals for quite a few years.

Last month I started working on my site again (just upgraded my cart) because the future of my employer was looking a bit shaky, but I got 4 clients to do part time work on, and I foolishly accepted them (I'm working until 3-4 am now for the next month) when usually I only take 2 co currant clients.

that's what gives. If it bothers you that much, I'll make it password protected.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I understood you meant, and probably should have kept my mouth shut. My written English is not that great, so if I had offended you, please let me know. I was just letting you know that the term you were using was actually something else, it you want to continue using it, by all means, go right ahead, it's your forum, and thus your rules.

No offense taken. I found your reply interesting, therefore I replied. One of the things that makes the English language difficult is that many words have more than one meaning so it becomes a matter of context to arrive at an understanding.

Troll
–noun 1. (in Scandinavian folklore) any of a race of supernatural beings, sometimes conceived as giants and sometimes as dwarfs, inhabiting caves or subterranean dwellings.

2. Slang . a person who lives or sleeps in a park or under a viaduct or bridge, as a bag lady or derelict.

Origin:
1610–20; < Old Norse troll demon

trollssuck.png

Troll
–verb (used with object)
to fish for or in with a moving line, working the line up or down with a rod, as in fishing for pike, or trailing the line behind a slow-moving boat.

d1034754ea4408f8b65822b590dfae7e.jpg

My use of the word "trolling" was as a verb with an object ... "for business".

Status
Not open for further replies.