• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Turning fonts to Chiseled

PMG

I see on http://artandsignstudio.com/tutorialchisel.html they say you can make the chiseled type out of a regular type font,ive done what the say to do,but when it come to the end where it tells you to4.. Then select the top copy and change the font to the Chisel version.

<CENTER>
chiselgraphic4.jpg
</CENTER><CENTER>I cant find anyplace in my program to do this?</CENTER>

WVB

That is because you do not own a copy of that font. Chiseled fonts come in pairs. The standard type and then the chiseled version you place ontop of the standard version. You must own chiseled fonts to do such.

If I am not mistaken I believe SignLab comes with a filter to create chiseled fonts.

ChiknNutz

If you're printing them, it's very easy to accomplish with the AlienSkin plug-ins (used in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop, Corel PhotoPaint, PaintShop Pro, and others).

PMG

I have about 10 different Mr.Chisel fonts,with 2 versions of each? One looks solid and the other chiseled,can i change any font with these?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Pro-Motion Graphix said:
I have about 10 different Mr.Chisel fonts,with 2 versions of each? One looks solid and the other chiseled,can i change any font with these?

No.

Chisled fonts are usually created by overlaying the two, and sometime more, iterations on top of each other. One is generally the base and the other is the highlight. Depending on what colors you might choose. Sometime the highlight lays on top of the base, sometimes the highlight is cut out of the base. Regardless, you'd be hard pressed to use one of the iterations in conjunction with some typeface not the one used to create the chiseled pair, trio, or whatever.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
GraphiXtreme said:
If you're printing them, it's very easy to accomplish with the AlienSkin plug-ins (used in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop, Corel PhotoPaint, PaintShop Pro, and others).

The inner bevel plug ins for Photoshop (including those made by Adobe and all the other third party filters including Alien Skin) don't really create a truly accurate chisel effect. The effect goes a bit haywire at corners and areas where two strokes join. You can't get the chisel to corner properly. The only way to get an accurate result is to create it manually.

Steve C.

Bobby, Thanks for that post, I was going to say the same thing about the Alien Sklin. Some nice effects can be achived but the chiseled lines just don't come together right, and I've heard the Signlab filter has problems with creating true chisels also. If your font does not have a chisel version to it then the best way is to create your own. I seem to remember seeing a tutorial out there somewhere, maybe it was at Letterhead Fonts.

Steve C.

Leigh, That should be very helpful to those who wish to create Chisel/Prismatic effects. Thanks. The tutorial that Pro-Motion mentioned in the initial post is for fonts that already have the chisel created as a separate font.

Steve C.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The Letterhead Fonts site tutorial is pretty decent. The method I use is quite a bit more anal retentive, but the results are usually mathematically perfect.

The difference is in how the path down the center of the stroke is established. I break sections of the letter apart into separate line segments and then make a 1 step blend to create the center segment. In Corel you often must use the reverse path direction button to get the center line to fall correctly. Another critical feature is the font must be properly digitized. The blends won't work very well using fonts peppered with lots of extra control points.

Steve C.

My method is different from both. I start with making a small inline contour, reduce nodes and manipulate the points to create the chisel font. Once I get the basic shape I go back and make templetes to measure the center of the strokes. your two color fill is a good idea though, I may try it.

Attachments

• chisel tech.jpg
    chisel tech.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited: