• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question U-post install

bigben

I have to quote an installation of 8 U-post. The customer already have his signs. I will supply the post (8 feet). It's for a parking and they will be installed in dirt. But I have to calculate the install could be harder since it's not a ''natural'' ground. How much would you change to install the post and maybe add a little contingency just in case.

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's not natural ground, then what is it ?? I don't think I've ever dug in UNnatural ground.

Baz

All depends on what you plan to use to pound them in.
A hand held post pounder will work but the ground might give you a hard time.
And hopefully either you are young and strong or have a younger helper to do the pounding.
Might take you 1.5 hours to do if the posts go in easy. Plan up to 4 hours if you have a hard time. (and you will feel wrecked by the end)

I personally like to use 4' U-Post sleeves and rent a pneumatic post pounder. (attach your 8' posts to the sleeve after)
Includes a huge gas powered air compressor that stays in the back of your truck. (has to be lifted in the truck by another machine. Two men cannot lift it)
A 50 foot air line and the post pounder.
That set up will do the best job but can be hard to do in the winter with frozen ground and back fill.
The equipment costs around 250.00$ per day to rent.
Plan on 1 to 2 hours of work with that setup.

Edit: Found a picture of the pneumatic post pounder

Attachments

• Pneumatic Air Compressor_Post Pounder.jpg
    Pneumatic Air Compressor_Post Pounder.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Billct2

My first job was for a municipal sign shop. The installers pounded uchannels everyday using a post cap and sledge hammer while standing on a platform on the truck.
Hard work and they often weren't straight, but it doesn't matter much for street signs. The normal soil around here can be difficult with rocks, roots and hard soil. And our clients expect the poles to be straight and uniform. so we dig a hole and set them in concrete. Knowing you are dealing with fill which can be a PITA I would estimate half hour each, but that's an estimate. I usually includ a disclaimer about "estimate based on normal soil conditions". We have hit serious construction/demolition debris, old driveways and concrete sidewalks/

Last edited:

unclebun

We just put up about 30 of these, some with square poles and just the no hunting, some u-channel with just the no hunting. The ground was undisturbed in some places, excavated like here, or fill where they had built up the roadbed. Obviously we hit rock (it is the Ozarks) in some places and had to adjust the position of the sign slightly to find a way through, but we averaged about 4 an hour including driving and hiking around to the sites. That was with two men and a sign post driver (with post caps). If I were charging for one sign, I'd charge for travel time, and an hour for the installation.

Liberty Ranch Axle Road.jpg

CanuckSigns

Don't forget to add the 45 -60 minutes of standing around waiting for the site foreman to show up to show you where they want them, happens everytime.

bigben

Don't forget to add the 45 -60 minutes of standing around waiting for the site foreman to show up to show you where they want them, happens everytime.

Don't worry. I've got screwed on time waiting 2 hours. So now I add ''safety'' time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We give an estimate on time for jobs like this, but charge actual time after the fact.

Ahem....... does the customer ever make out on the deal ?? In other words, do you ever charge less, than what you estimated if things go better than right ??

Had a job just yesterday go about 2 hours faster than I anticipated. That amounts to $260 less than I quoted. Should I give it back, since I guessed wrong or does it work out in the wash ??​

unclebun

We quote it as the estimated time plus any extra. So if it goes beyond the estimated time they get charged extra. I state it like this: Installation is estimated at $120. If it goes beyond 1 hour, it will be charged at an additional $120/hr.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had pictures of what was to be done. Therefore, I estimated a little high (didn't tell them that). It was also right outside of Philly, which those roads usually take 90 minutes one way. However, with this covid19 stuff, the roads are quite lean and travel time was more like 35 minutes, instead of 90. The job itself went just about as planned. It was all the travel time we saved on.

Charged the full quoted price and they were tickled pink it all went without a hitch. In fact, this morning, I got an e-mail, they wanna do the sign on the other side of the building. They just bought this building and didn't see the other sign, as they only took possession Monday afternoon. Now, it'll be repeated, but this sign is a larger, so it'll cost more.......... but I do know the travel time better this time around.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I had pictures of what was to be done. Therefore, I estimated a little high (didn't tell them that). It was also right outside of Philly, which those roads usually take 90 minutes one way. However, with this covid19 stuff, the roads are quite lean and travel time was more like 35 minutes, instead of 90. The job itself went just about as planned. It was all the travel time we saved on.

Charged the full quoted price and they were tickled pink it all went without a hitch. In fact, this morning, I got an e-mail, they wanna do the sign on the other side of the building. They just bought this building and didn't see the other sign, as they only took possession Monday afternoon. Now, it'll be repeated, but this sign is a larger, so it'll cost more.......... but I do know the travel time better this time around.

Tell them the cost is a little higher...now that they know who they are dealing with!

signage

We quote it as the estimated time plus any extra. So if it goes beyond the estimated time they get charged extra. I state it like this: Installation is estimated at $120. If it goes beyond 1 hour, it will be charged at an additional $120/hr.

So if it takes 2 hours and half you only charge an additional $120.00

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Ahem....... does the customer ever make out on the deal ?? In other words, do you ever charge less, than what you estimated if things go better than right ??

Had a job just yesterday go about 2 hours faster than I anticipated. That amounts to $260 less than I quoted. Should I give it back, since I guessed wrong or does it work out in the wash ??​
It only goes one way for me, but only on jobs that I cannot quote accurately (or at least accurately and still remain on budget). On a u-channel job, two guys can usually do about 4 an hour, with a minimum of one hour. If we run into problems, we charge more.
The client is advised up front. Occasionally, I get turned down. I could care less.

unclebun

So if it takes 2 hours and half you only charge an additional $120.00
Math not your strong suit? An extra hour and a half at $120/hr is $180. We charge down to the quarter hour. Just like time clocks at the burger joint or factory.

signage

Math not your strong suit? An extra hour and a half at $120/hr is $180. We charge down to the quarter hour. Just like time clocks at the burger joint or factory.

No your original says 120/hr, to me that is you charge extra by the hour not a subpart of an hour. You need to be clear like any extra will be charges at $30.00 for each 15 min. over that first hour! People aren't mind readers and that is why you need a solid contract wording.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't matter to me who can read, comprehend or do math in this place, but if someone told me they charge out at $120 an hour and it took 1.5 hours, I'd see it as being $180, too. The only time I could see it signage's way, is if I said it was a block of time, say 4 hours. If it took 3 hours, it would still be charged out at 4 hours. That's how the rental places do it and just about any business in business. Quoting people you quote out to 15 minute increments is fine and dandy, but not necessary in installation, production or fabrication. Perhaps designing time, but that's about it.

For me, I quoted 5 hours (for installation) and it only took 3 hours, but I billed out the full amount. My customer was happy and so was I. :toasting: