• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unbelievable beauty in the utilitarian....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Eons before the days of CNC, there was art nearly everywhere you looked. Oh how I long for days gone by. I believe the seller stated that it was from the early 1900s.

But back then, the water heater used to be a kitchen appliance...so it had to look nice.

Can you imagine working in the "Make it look pretty department" of most any industry back then?

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:

James Burke

You gonna get it running?
I didn't buy it...just saw it on Marketplace. It would most likely be dangerous to operate after all these years.

But believe me, if I had the extra cash laying around I would buy it just to look at.

I bought a new RUUD nearly two years ago and it didn't look nearly as ornate as this one.

JB

James Burke

Steampunk at its finest...

Here's what one another model looks like when disemboweled and reconfigured. Obviously the pressure gauges and a few other items are not original to the appliance. But it's still a work of art.

JB
d.jpg

James Burke

What was the process for printing those instruction plates? They still look good.
Typically, screen-printed enamel I believe. The metal plates were most likely acid etched or stamped. The serial numbers were stamped on later.

JB