• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Underwater Signs?? Vinyl/Laminate that will hold up underwater?

SublettSigns

Hello All,

I've got a customer that wants to make underwater way-side exhibits for scuba divers to read while diving in a certain area. I've been looking everywhere online for information on if regular oracal vinyl will hold up underwater or if perhaps marine grade vinyl would work better. I don't believe any of the exhibits will have pictures, I think it will mainly be text, but if we did need to print certain images would you need a special kind of laminate/ink? I've found this one picture online of a sign underwater, and I've also attached a picture of the way side exhibit that she sent with her e-mail as an example... but she also said that she doesn't want to spend $1000 a sign like the way side exhibit she sent probably costs. Any information would be appreciated... thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• perth-scuba-dive-mexico-cenotes_-3447.jpg
    perth-scuba-dive-mexico-cenotes_-3447.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4,639
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 584

idsignsil

You may want to look into Fossil Graphics. They did a direct print to some type of pvc I believe for us a while back. Looked really nice, but I can't remember what it cost.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 339

AF

Read my lips: NO WARRANTY

Any high quality cast vinyl with acrylic adhesive is your best bet, but always test to know for certain especially in salt water. Use 316 SS or naval bronze hardware to prevent corrosion. Even better is to add into the contract annual replacement of signs. But under no circumstances should give your client the impression that these will last a long time.

J Hill Designs

the lower example is most likely screen printed on what appears to be steel (due to the rusting)

edit: nm. rust is probably from the fasteners. the substrate is broken, possibly a plastic of some sort

Billct2

How about a welded aluminum angle frame with a flatbed printed ACM or even 3/8" coro sign bolted in place.
The sign can be switched out whenever it starts to show wear.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Heck...... underwater........ how much UV can penetrate to do any harm ?? I'd flatbed print them and not worry about laminating, unless you're worried ab out vandalism :omg:

Ditchmiester

If they want them to last and not have to replace them very often (which i'm sure would be expensive) How about etching into .040 stainless steel with a baked epoxy powder paint filled letter? For added durability you could throw a powder clear coat over the whole sign, front and back to help prolong the saltwater from getting to the stainless and paint filled area's. If i'm not mistaken there is also a marine grade stainless steel.

SublettSigns

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to take the suggestions and try and come up with the best option for the customer (price and durability wise) also, FYI these aren't going to be in salt water, fresh water, in a local lake here in Hot Springs, AR. If anyone else has any suggestions/ideas throw em my way! :thumb::thumb:

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Another method is to direct paint onto the substrate using stencil vinyl. Then you could use marine grade enamel paint.

graphics22

Heck...... underwater........ how much UV can penetrate to do any harm ?? I'd flatbed print them and not worry about laminating, unless you're worried ab out vandalism :omg:
Do you have experience with flat bed solvent inks on reflective vinyl for underwater application. Not sure I would trust the inks. I was leaning towards vinyl instead of printing the water is not salty just lake water

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you have experience with flat bed solvent inks on reflective vinyl for underwater application. Not sure I would trust the inks. I was leaning towards vinyl instead of printing the water is not salty just lake water

Well, this one is going back almost 8 years. Anyway, why would you need reflective underwater ?? Reflective is basically for vehicle traffic, not fish.

petepaz

i would UV print on pvc. could also look at metal photo process on metal, aluminum
if you were to use reflective would that be hard to read with a flashlight shining on it?
i have done some reflective signs and when the headlights hit them you can't read the damn sign

Billct2

Ha! Zombie thread, I love it. But I actually had to do a sign to this type of spec since this was first brought up.
This was the sample we made. It's a Tide Marker for a commercial dock, bolted to a piling.
We reverse lettered on lexan backed with white, then the lexan was backed with 1" thick Azek thru bolted with aluminum angles.
Has to take a lot of abuse, besides being in salt water, theres a lot of debris washing with the tide.
Has worked well so far

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 116

ProSignTN

Cut vinyl on prepainted aluminum sheet will work just fine in freshwater. May need cleaning occasionally from algae or silt buildup, but I've pulled years old signs from along river beds & banks and they were weathering just fine.

I did urine discharge measurement labels for the inside of the toilet bowl, (portable toilets for senior centers). Inks weren't near as advanced back then so we went with Gerber Edge labels. Yow, pee labels.