• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UPS/Battery back-up

niksagkram

Hi. Anybody using a UPS Battery back up on their flat-bed? If so, what are you using? Was this recommended by your vendor or did you research it?

Thanks,

Mark

Techman

there is no way you can use a standard ups for a flat bed.

You will need an industrial strength power supply that would cost in the multiple thousands.

It would need to be about double the wattage the printer uses during full operation.

rdm01

I would imagine it would have to be some sort of large, industrial backup generator.

ChrisN

Theoretically, it would be possible, but the flatbed would have to support it in the controller. The UPS could just power the control system, and when a power failure occurs, the controls would remain active to allow a safe shutdown of the UV lamps and the rest of the printer. The UV lamps, heaters, and maybe even servos would not be able to be powered by the UPS, because of their high load.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As Techman said, its NOT going to be cheap..... You are going to need to look at the specs for the machine and see what its maximum power draw is and voltage requirements and then you can determine the appropriate UPS to use. You have several factors to consider. First it needs to be able to handle the voltage and load (amps/wattage). Second you need to decide how much runtime you want which will determine how many battery modules you will need. Third you need to evaluate your incoming power for a few things like stability and phasing (if you have standard power or 3 phase). Fourth you need to decide what sort of features you want in the UPS which can be many and will require some reading for you to gain an understanding of what the terms mean and how they will affect things. There are a LOT of factors to consider when you are looking at a larger UPS like the conversion type, cooling requirements (they DO produce heat), space, ability of the floor to handle the weight, etc. What you are looking at is nothing at all like the cheap off the shelf things you get at Best Buy.

Eaton makes top notch stuff. Its what we use (we have three 240v 9130 and each of those has 4 extended battery modules) and they have been bulletproof reliable. I've also used Liebert UPS's which are also excellent. Eaton has a TON of excellent material on their site to help you wrap your head around some of the things you really should consider as well as tools to help you determine your needs. You might be able to even get away with one more intended for a server rack or something like we have done. Another thing we have done is went with 240v units. A large majority of electronics and most all equipment you have is already fully capable of running on 240 volts and it will all do so a bit more efficiently than is does on 120 volts....

http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/

http://powerquality.eaton.com/thoughtleadership/Choosing-UPS/default.asp

niksagkram

Thanks. Sort of what I thought. We had a power outage today, and the boss was wondering why we didn't have a power back up on the flat bed, so I thought I would ask people in the know! :)
We don't get black-outs very often, so it's not really a huge concern.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark

MikePro

APC makes great models of all sizes/capacities.
Tho' they may have a model that could run a large piece of equipment for a short period of time, I think you're looking in the $2k range.