• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Us-cutters

Onebadbug

Really why does everyone dislike them?

I can understand the balks from a high volume shop standpoint & demanding excellence year in & year out... That said what is the problem with them from a small volume standpoint?

I used to own an Ioline Smart-trac 60 inch model. While my mainstay was miles of sandblasting stencils for glass and on the side I also did alot of small signage for a few local customers as well and enjoyed it very much and I never had an issues with it, ever!... But I also remember what it cost me back in 1999 & it was near the $6k mark...

I let that machine go (as well as a few Rolands too) a few years ago. But now I have a few old customers asking me to do some small profitable jobs again. And while I can understand the UScutters are probably not built like the Ioline or Roland back then (and now). Why would someone not think about these machines from a low volume production standpoint if you know your way around anyone's machine why not look at them?

I have been looking at their Laserpint II 25" model and I really can't see why everyone slams them...

enlighten me please...

I'll be honest with you, I started out with a US Cutter SC Series, and for what it is I can't complain. Long tracking isn't the greatest, but other than that the machine was a solid investment. No, it's not as nice as my Gerber, but for what you are needing it will do just fine.

JgS

I've heard bad things about the laser point. I hear it's basically an sc with laser registration but since it can't track straight it's kind of pointless. I know they have some intermediate grade cutters for a good price. Maybe start there. As far as us cutter as a company goes I have no problem with them. They ship fast and their costumer service is pretty good.

Onebadbug

Buy yourself a used Roland or Graphtec if money is an issue.

mark-s
Money is not an issue, but still center sort of what "IT" is...

Sure... I could buy a used ioline/graphtec/roland machine used & abused... I could even buy back my 60' Ioline from the person I sold it to for $2k and I know its complete history & everything about it... and for the respected Roland models I have come across all are well over the $1.5k mark and I know nothing of their work history... Thought about the newer Stika SV's but those seem to have an even lower respectability than the USC middle models which, lets face it, beat them off the pants on price...

With that in mind, if you don't require a "simple machine" to last longer than dirt does why wouldn't anyone not be tempted at UScutter's LSII 25" for $399, add a 2 year warranty for $49.00 and you are out the door under $500 at your doorstep... Anyone that knows their way around a plotter will know what a bum machine is and if it doesn't do what it should or fail at the starting gun, simply jump down their throat for replacement, problem solved...

All are seriously valid sticking points here...

Techman

why wouldn't anyone not be tempted at UScutter's LSII 25" for $399

because anyone who ever read this board will know that ,,, its a chinese made pile of wasted metal and plastic. You will have more aggravation trying to cut a decent file than it is worth. The pains of frustration will last far longer than the thrill of a bargain You can get a great used roland, or anagraph or suma for about 300 and be multiples of happy for it.

TDFcustomSL

I started with an MH series from us cutter about 8 or 9 years ago, yes tracking isn't great and it's noisy as heck but it did what I needed it to do and it is the reason I'm where I'm at today, yes compared to my graphtec it was absolute junk but without the junk I wouldn't have what I have now. Everyone has their opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. Just giving you mine. If you want to give it a shot give it a shot, it's on,y 500 bucks. I'd much rather be out 500 by taking a chance than be out 2 grand without giving the 500 a chance to make you enough to upgrade. Live and learn right?

Techman

than be out 2 grand without giving the 500 a chance to make you enough to upgrade. Live and learn right?

there is no need to spend 2 grand
there are dozens of lightly used name brand cutters around. I see them regularly for 300 - 500. I have never observed one that was beat up.

I would wager there is one in one of this sites users that would let one go for a great price..

Later if need be you could resell it again for what you paid for it.. In any case what if your vinyl side takes off again. You will regret getting a headache.

To me,, just one wasted job would be too many. That is why I wouldn't get a low end hobby use cutter.

FatCat

My grandfather had a saying; "A poor man can only afford to buy something once."
(Google that saying and the most popular phrasing is that he can only afford to buy the best - but the above is how my grandpa said it.)

With that in mind, I've had countless times I have heeded and ignored that advice with all sorts of different purchases, and more often than not, the saying has held true.

When I started my biz 4 years ago, I bought a used Roland CX-300 for $800. Why? Because I knew absolutely NOTHING about cutting vinyl, and after much research most of the advice was that Roland, Graphtec and Summa were pretty much the trifecta of professional cutters. Also, the popular opinion was to get a machine bigger than 24" and you weed out the hobby machines. There were lots of new machines out there for a little less money, mostly Chinese stuff, but after using the Roland and seeing how well it was engineered and built I never again doubted buying a good name brand cutter. In fact, I was able to sell that CX-300 for about $650 2 years later because I needed to upgrade to a bigger cutter with optical once I bought a printer.

John Thomson

I have 2 Refines, Had one for 5 years, one for 3 years and they work everyday.........well set up they are a good tool but set up is crucial for good performance.

As said they are noisy compared to brand names nowadays but no noisier than my first Roland pnc 960 in the 1980's

Despite being able to afford to upgrade to a "premium" brand I see no need to.

Just my opinion

John

visual800

first plotter I had was a vinyl express (roland) lasted for 11 years and would track 30'.... when that went down i bouth a roland GX, what a POS! got rid of it and now I own a vinyl express (graphtex) this POS wont track 10' but is better than the roland GX, who knows whats any good. IMO they are all chinese made crap