• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Us tech laminator

Salmoneye

Hey guys, when I was in the offset printing business we used to have to adjust pressure on rubber rollers sometimes. An old timer showed me how to cut a long strip maybe one inch wide of film that we used for negatives. Take the strip of film and feed it between the rollers on each side, then pull them out slowly. You can feel how much pressure there is on each side by how hard the film is to pull and adjust each side accordingly. This wouldn't probably work well with vinyl but something more like the rigid pop type material would probably work well. I have not tried it on a laminator but I would think that it would work well. Hope that was understandable.

Custom_Grafx

Hey guys, when I was in the offset printing business we used to have to adjust pressure on rubber rollers sometimes. An old timer showed me how to cut a long strip maybe one inch wide of film that we used for negatives. Take the strip of film and feed it between the rollers on each side, then pull them out slowly. You can feel how much pressure there is on each side by how hard the film is to pull and adjust each side accordingly. This wouldn't probably work well with vinyl but something more like the rigid pop type material would probably work well. I have not tried it on a laminator but I would think that it would work well. Hope that was understandable.

That sounds like a good idea and I used to have to do that on my old manual machine.

The new one I got has just one lever, so everything moves together - a big timesaver.

Another thing I used to do, is after loading my vinyl and laminate, and adjusting the rollers to what I thought was as close to even as possible, you look through and if you see some light coming through on one side, you know it's not even. I used to then adjust till it was nice and tight, and no light coming through.

larry

I thought the way they were designed was to set the entire weight of the roller on the film (US Tech guy says its 150 pounds) so adjusting the tension isnt an issue. just release the weight of both sides on the media and your done.. right?

R08

I thought the way they were designed was to set the entire weight of the roller on the film (US Tech guy says its 150 pounds) so adjusting the tension isnt an issue. just release the weight of both sides on the media and your done.. right?

That's how I do it.

FatCat

Well, after sitting on the fence for too long I just pulled the trigger on the AK-600 65" on Tuesday this week. The shipping company just delivered it a few hours ago. I'll get some pics up once it's assembled. I've got a box truck wrap to do next week that will tell me if I made a wise decision.

Custom_Grafx

Yep looks like especially on the electric ones it's like that - my old manual one had one knob on each side though which you had to manually adjust and make sure the roller was parallel to the bottom roller.

kyjoe340

Had mine a while now with no issues. I just use the weight of the roller as instructed. The dual knobs was the right choice for me (besides saving $500) I found an advantage. I leave the laminate loaded with a scrap vinyl leader and the roller lifted slightly when not in use, when I need to set up to laminate I stand behind the machine and pull the leader tight then lower the roller, ready to go. You can't do that with one adjustment knob on the front of the machine.

tattoo.dan

Mine has given me no problems. I got the 65" one with the two adjustments for the roller. I just lower the roller so it is sitting on the bottom roller and laminate away. I absolutely love it!

FatCat

I have to add my praise for the 65" unit (AK-600). With no experience ever running a laminator, I really was expecting more of a learning curve. However, after messing around with some smaller items I laminated a full box truck wrap yesterday (450 sq. ft) and only wasted 2 panels due to me initially having the pressure set too hard. For the price it's a great machine thats hard to beat. I can't see any reason to spend 3X as much on a Seal or Royal Sovereign, etc.

Bill43mx

Can anyone tell what the difference is functionally between the MJ series and the AK series? The AK looks neater without the arms sticking up but I don't see anything in the specs that indicates you get more features in the AK series. If they are both the same from an operational viewpoint why not get the MJ and save $126. I need to make a decision before the sale price expires!!!:help

Bill43mx

So for anyone interested, I found the answer to my question above. I spoke with Tony at Master and he was very helpful in going over the features. The main difference between the AK and the MJ is that the AK's liner takeup reel is powered by the main roller motor via a chain drive. On the MJ the liner takeup is belt driven off of the laminate supply roller. Tony's opinion was that the powered version was much more consistent and better for doing long lamination runs. I'm pretty sure I'm ordering the AK 600 tomorrow.:clapping:

Rhino09

I'm thinking of getting the AK-600. However my printer is only 30 inches wide. Any suggestions? My thinking is down the road should we upgrade the size of our printer we will already have the lam.

tattoo.dan

I'm thinking of getting the AK-600. However my printer is only 30 inches wide. Any suggestions? My thinking is down the road should we upgrade the size of our printer we will already have the lam.

yes. then you will have the laminator already if and when you upgrade. These are really good laminators for the price. I have ran about 10 rolls of laminate through mine without a single problem. Best 2k I have spent in the shop period....

Bill43mx

I agree. We also currently have a 30" printer but for the price difference between a 30" laminator and a 65" in my opinion it was a no brainer to get the 65". Someday we may upgrade to a wider printer but I doubt we will ever go over the capacity of the 65" laminator.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
All those laminators (US Tech, Enduralam, Smart Man, Rigmajet, ZJB, FMJ-ZJX, etc) are ALL the same Asian made laminators that are re-branded by companies here in the US. Even the Royal Sovereign is. SEAL is made in the US...which is why it is Top Quality and Expensive. I bought a RS after realizing my Daige was (you get what you pay for) and now use it for mounting prints to substrate.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have the cheapo chinese knock off (blue/light blue & gray colored) & it really sucks, ruins material entirely at random. Hopefully our funds are finally here for the Seal I've been wanting for a while. Buy the better one the first time.

Attachments

• MJ-600.jpg
    MJ-600.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 145