• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Mimaki: How old is too old?

I'm ready to buy my first printer. Most of the shops in my area have 54" Versacamms. I'm leaning towards a used and/or refurb 63" Mimaki.

My question: how old is too old/obsolete? What is the oldest year model I should consider? 2006? 2007? 2008? In limited searching, I've seen some great prices on 2006 models, and it kind of scares me how cheap they are, lol.

Thanks.

iSign

I bought my JV3 in Aug of 2005. I've kept it under service contract until this past August. One reason I decided not to buy another years worth of a service contract was because I just had a service call late last year, like a month before the contract renewal date. Because I'm in Hawaii, I had to pay a lot just to have a technician come out, but I had sent some test prints, & it was confirmed that I was due for some new heads (for only the second time in 4 years) ...anyway, based on the high cost of flying out a technician, & the fact that multiple heads were showing substandard results, I had every head, damper & pump replaced... so of course I felt that spending a lot of a service contract right then would not be smart.

Anyway, this background all leads up to 2 things I wanted to say to your question.
When I asked my vendor if there would be a penalty for me to renew the service contract in Fall of 2010, after not insuring it for this past year, he said that would have been typical anyway, but even if i had bought the service this year, this August my printer will be 5 years old, and they will no longer sell a service contract on that age of printer... so, if you are the sort that finds this type of contract to be a reassuring investment, then be forewarned about checking the printers age against the availability of service contracts...

secondly, I wanted to tell you that I paid far more 5 years ago, then a lot of people would pay today for their printer... BUT, I feel that it is in immaculate condition & although I imagine a lot of 5 year old Mimaki's sell for under $10K... there is NO WAY I would ever let mine go for under even $15K when it works this good...

so, service contracts aside, I think a 5 year old printer from a guy who maintained it extremely well.. that could be a good thing!

artbot

if it's well maintained than it is as good as a younger one. these printers are not different from each other. they just print ink on to stuff. same basic guts.

particleman

If it does a good test draw and doesn't make any funny noises I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. Always helps to actually see them print. Parts for these are getting really expensive from Mimaki which stinks because these are still very capable printers.

Fatboy

I recently bought a 2006 roland sp 540 v. Working very well.Make sure you cut and print with the machine before you buy.Also then change all the consumables,piping ect.