• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Drill Press For A Paper Drill???

quikseps

I have a customer that must have his decals drilled so they can be stocked on pegboard hooks for display at stores, etc. Anyhow, aside from buying a paper drill at $1,000 for this one customer....has anyone had any success or experience with running a paper drill bit in a standard drill press? I figure I could make a device to hold a stack of decals in place while being drilled.

One concern is the RPM of the paper drill might be significantly faster than a conventional drill press so the quality of the cut may be compromised.

I'm also a bit worried about drilling through the vinyl and having it look clean. These decals can't be weeded and drilled only though the backing sheet since the customer likes to leave all the vinyl intact and have me add a dashed "peel here" line outside the cut line. Any opinions out there?

Steve

quikseps

The quantities are 100 - 200 decals of a single design. I'm printing about 15 designs for this guy and will probably get re-orders in a month or so.

quikseps

Actually, a heavy-duty paper punch just may be the ticket. I'll have to look around for something beefy.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Buy a paper bit, sort of a hollow round knife blade and your drill press is a paper drill. Most any place that will sell you the whole rig will sell you a bit. Lubricate it by drilling into a chunk of beeswax every now and then.

Shady Sherlock

IMO use an industrial hole punch and do it 10 or 20 at a time.
May take more time, but save the cost of an expensive piece of equipment...

mediaman

Steve,
The vinyl will melt and gum up the drill if you try the drill press. The adhesive may also present a problem when heated by the drill. Let us know your final method.:Cool 2:

quikseps

Yeah, I figured the adhesive would stick the drills up. I think this guy should package these stapled to offset printed cards with a fold on the top that are drilled for hanging. They'd look better and also be uniform. Going to suggest that since this is beginning to look like a nightmare in progress!

Steve