• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Usual causes of head strikes, and avoid

34Ford

Dont have a printer yet, but I was just wondering what is the biggest reason for head strikes.
It seems to strike fear into everyone when they think it has happened.

What can be done to help eliminate it?

I'm going tomorrow to see a SP-540 demonstration and I know I am gonna want it.:smile:

CS-SignSupply-TT

I just had a customer bring in a banner sample that caused a head strike. There was a crease on the edge of the banner, about 3" long and 3/8" high. Since the banner was rolled on the core, there was no way to know of the crease.

34Ford

So the heat makes the material buckle up? How does the heavy roll cause the material to raise?

Is this usually vinyl, or banner, or both?

34Ford

I guess I would have never thought that banner material being stiff enough to hurt a head, or would just slide over it.

I know how Epson R1900 heads look out of a printer but I never thought they were that sensitive.

njsigns

Not having your material feeding through straight will sometimes cause the material to buckle between the pinch rollers, couple that with too much heat... headstrike city! It usually happens right after I leave the machine unattended for 2 minutes and it usually happens about 7 feet into an 8 foot job (for me anyway)...

Gene

34Ford

Gene,

Well thats sounds about the way it would be. Right when you think you can leave it.
So I can see it now, get a new printer, load it, send to print, and then sit and stare at it in fear. Some stress here?

ucmj22

on a roland..... that foresaken takeup reel! i welded 2 nuts on mine so it wouldnt wobble during takeup. the ridiculous 1/8 thumbscrew it comes with is worthless.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 118

idsignsil

I have the same machine as UCMJ22 (Roland XC-540). It only seems to happen to me when running banner material. I only use the two outside pinch rollers, so that the middle ones don't leave tracks. I also use the media clamps to hold the edges down. But it still seems to buckle on the edges, especially if I have a new, heavy roll of banner on there. I do not have a problem with the take up reel, I just make sure to tighten the screw pretty tight.

Two days ago I was running a banner with a full roll on the back. I roll out some extra on the back side and let it hang, so that the rollers are not trying to turn such a heavy roll. Then I just try to watch and run some more out on the back when needed, it sucks because you have to watch it every so often. But I can see the printer from my desk. I still have to pull on the banner on the front until it gets down to the take up reel so that it does not buckle. Then I figured if I hung some clamps on the edge of the banner, the weight would keep the banner from buckling. It has worked so far, I just take the clamps off when it gets down to the take up reel, and everything is fine from there.

It is a little bit of a pain in the butt, but it only happens on banner material.

34Ford

Well I can see how take up reels can be a problem in the way they work.
I think your right that gravity is probably the best method.
But not practical.

Seems to me two independent wheels pulling on each corner would be better than a single tube.
Course the wheels would need some sort of viscous fluid clutch or something.

This is new to me but are you saying you can run sewn banner material in these printers?

WCSign

I ended up just running a really low dryer heat on banners and setting the base point then advancing the material like 10 inches prior to printing, so it isnt heating that first spot so much..

I agree on humidity, misalignment and the middle pinch roller.

also towards then end of vinyl rolls there tends to be a little curl.

If you just make a habit of resetting material often, and a few other lil things, it doesnt seem to be a bad problem.

and not that I wanna pay 2500 any time soon to replace one, but my opinion is that these things can take more abuse than anyone really gives them credit for

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If this is your first printer the biggest cause for head strikes is going to be customer supplied "Print Ready" artwork.
Wear a helmet for the first few months....

wayne k
guam usa

96XP

If using it to reheat a sandwich, be sure it's outa there before pushing print!
:ROFLMAO: