• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ute, Van or Trailer?

Hi there. Newbee to signage (especially large signs). Offset and Digital background. Up to now I have managed to get by with borrowing the better half's station wagon. Getting to be an issue. (for all sorts of reasons, but size being the main one).
For deadline reasons (and cost) its often not really practical to contract the transportation of signs out. The thing is I can often go 3-4 weeks without this being an issue. 90% of my work is smaller signs, business cards, books etc.. So it seems a shame to have to purchase a ute/van or small truck just for this. (I'm not a big vehicle kind of guy). Is there anyone out there that has just managed with a roof rack or a trailer. I really need to be able to transport 2440mm x 1220mm. (A bit big for a roof rack on a small/medium size car). Maybe a custom made trailer? If I am contracting the installation out! I can sometimes arrange the Installers to also pick up (but not always). Sometimes the customer is ok with installing themselfs but they still want me to deliver. Any thoughts?. Maybe just rent a trailer or ute by the hour but this can really start to eat into my profit margins. Thanks. Simon

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Box trailer, uhaul style. The size and weight you need. It's just not as nimble like van so maybe not the best for city use.

rjssigns

When I was starting out I had a Nissan mini pickup. For large panels I made a rack out of scrap lumber and bolted that to the bed rails. When done it was removed and stored against a wall.

That being said I'm a truck guy and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for the shop.(current ride is an F350 diesel) Once you have one there are all kinds of things you can use it for. Like taking the dirtbike/ATV/UTV to the off road park. Just sayin'...

Johnny Best

Plus it is good exercise.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 73

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you like really small vehicles get one of those Kei class mini trucks or vans from Japan. We have them running all over the place here. Build a rack or holding box that will fit your largest faces.
If you want more than 3 cylinders see if you can get a used Toyota Sienna. We got a beater - fixed the front cv axles & AC - discarded the center row seats and with the back ones folded flat into the floor there is more than enough room to fit 4'x8' (2440x1220) sheets - rear hatch will still close. There is a surprising amount of room with easy access from the 2 sliders and rear hatch.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I don't think the americans picked up on the key word "Ute"

I would go with a Ute, as you can fit full sized sheets in it. a pallet even. And you can daily it.
I'd go with a ford ranger, like an xlt or something if you dont need anything special.

Wouldn't bother with a trailer as you always need to account for parking it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Something like a Hyundai iLoad is probably going to be cheaper than a Ranger, can fit full sheets laying flat, or two pallets... plus everything is protected from the elements and you can leave your tools inside without someone wanting to break a lock off a toolbox on the back of a ute.

Americans had their own ute a long way back... the El Camino!

Billct2

I have a Subaru Wagon in addition to our full size pick up. Can fir lots of signs in it and if needed it has a nice roof rack.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Something like a Hyundai iLoad is probably going to be cheaper than a Ranger, can fit full sheets laying flat, or two pallets... plus everything is protected from the elements and you can leave your tools inside without someone wanting to break a lock off a toolbox on the back of a ute.

Americans had their own ute a long way back... the El Camino!
Those iLoads are great!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I can get a 4x8 panel in my Dodge Caravan, it sticks out just a little bit so I strap the door to the hitch and use a towel on the top corner of the sign. My installation cart fits perfectly height wise in the back and can still pack kids in on the weekend.

gnubler

I'm building a deck in the back of my van to hold sign panels, which can also double as a sleeping deck in case I end up homeless.