• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printing on Mirror Tint

kalvix

Ok, we have a retail client who is looking for a one way window film and doesn't like Perf. so i was wondering about using a mirror tint and UV printing on it for the graphics? We have white ink on a UV Printer so does anyone have experience on printing on tint?

Thanks
Kalvix

MikePro

agreed, try it. only issue I could see happening is the reflection curing/gumming-up ink onto your printheads
(I don't have a UV printer, but always heard that was an issue with reflective materials)

worst-case, switch to printing on clear vinyl and laminating onto to the one-way film, or simply apply to window separately

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Ooooooooo!

Reflection from mirrored vinyl is asking for trouble!

I would not print that on my printer! Not to mention UV inks are more "brittle" / hard when they are cured.

I say just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Ooooooooo!

Reflection from mirrored vinyl is asking for trouble!

I would not print that on my printer! Not to mention UV inks are more "brittle" / hard when they are cured.

I say just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

Eh, I think this is very dependent on the printer (particular lamp placement).
We've got an Arizona and print white onto mirrors several times a week for the last 3 years.
Never had ink cure to a head in all that time.

TSC1985

Reverse print to clear and apply that on window first then apply mirrored film over that? More steps/cost but seems like it would do the trick.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You can only try. The uv light should not reflect onto the print heads unless your heights are wrong. I'd be using low lamp heat/intensity also.

UV flatbed? or roll? it does help knowing what printer you're using.

burgmurk

Reverse print to clear and apply that on window first then apply mirrored film over that? More steps/cost but seems like it would do the trick.
this is the only way i can see this working. spring for the optically clear stuff too.