• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valuejet 64"

SignsRus

If I ever purchase my own sign shop I'll never use some cheap end printer again. The nightmares this thing gives me is enough to make me spend 4x the amount on a real f********* printer

So I come in this morning and my printer won't print blue. Nozzle check shows its all firing. Yet it shows blue on screen, and it prints black

YES

GO MUTOH

WTF

SignsRus

You know I've printed from this file atleast 10 times. It's a repeat order. No clue why this is happening.

Of course though. I change the assigned pantone from spot to cmyk and it works fine

Why should I have to do this? Who knows....

At least I can continue working instead of losing hair all day though....

I'm serious though...if i ever own a large format printer mutoh and roland are out of the question. I'm going big. You get what you pay for..

Now let me get back to printing since I just wasted a good 30 mins figuring out an issue that shouldnt even be an issue..gotta love that

jiarby

my printer won't print blue. Nozzle check shows its all firing.

Nozzle Print looks OK, did you print the color chart from the printer console panel? If it is OK there then your printer is fine, you are just sending it garbage to print. Check the RIP.... it sounds like a RIP/Software problem to me.

Don't blame the printer for a RIP problem.

I think the Jury is stil out on these 1604's. They are all still too new. Let's see how they run after 18-24months!? I think the 1604 is a great printer for the money... Do you really expect it to run like a Jeti?

SignsRus

Nozzle Print looks OK, did you print the color chart from the printer console panel? If it is OK there then your printer is fine, you are just sending it garbage to print. Check the RIP.... it sounds like a RIP/Software problem to me.

Don't blame the printer for a RIP problem.

I think the Jury is stil out on these 1604's. They are all still too new. Let's see how they run after 18-24months!? I think the 1604 is a great printer for the money... Do you really expect it to run like a Jeti?

I just have constant nightmares with this thing. Between this low end *budget* printer and a computer not nearly good enough to run a large format printer I'm constantly pulling my hair out =O

I just know when it comes time for me to get a large format printer I'm staying away from mutoh and roland

SignsRus

Ok...so for some reason my printer isn't picking up any of my pantone color specifications in flexi sign...any pantone i try to print comes out black....UNLESS i change it from spot to cmyk

WEIRD

any ideas?

jiarby

Sorry!!

I use Onyx, not Flexi. I always use CMYK colors anyway. Never used pantone spot colors.

about the video...

I did raise some money for United Way one time by volunteering a recently decomissioned email server to be smashed up in the parking lot with a sledge hammer.

CFO bid $1000 and won, we catered in some BBQ and let everyone in the shop (about 75 employees) all watch. It was quite an event! I bet there are still little pieces of server in the cracks of the curbs!

Sign_Boy

At the risk of sounding dumb, why would you send a spot to your Valuejet anyway?
I would think unless you had your calibration 100% accurate your colors would have a slight shift from the actual spot color.
Maybe I'm wrong....
I would just continue to send CMYK and get those prints out the door. "As long as the colors are right"

Raise money beating an inanimate object, sounds like my kind of fun!!!

jiarby

I use Corel X3 & Onyx.

Drew a square, filled with Pantone 072 Blue.

Export to EPS

Open EPS in RIP, Then send to printer.

You want pole pockets or a regulat hem on this 2"x2" banner I made you??

Picture isn't great, but it's Blue.... not Black.

I agree... don't use spot colors. Buy a pantone CMYK bridge chart ($99) and use CMYK formulas. Inkjet CMYK printers don't print spot colors. The print colors that look like spot colors.

Attachments

• blue-pantone.jpg
    blue-pantone.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 91

Sign_Boy

jiarby how close to the pantone color is it?
Is it spot on?

Can you put grommets in that for me? Oh don't forget the wind slits lol

seattle

Wow I was thinking about getting that exact printer... Hopefully it is rip problem.

I have a Seiko 64s and it works good, except for the banding problems which I was hoping the Mutoh would get rid of for me.

I use pantone all the time, what else will you do when the client has a logo with certain colors?

Of coarse the pantone and what's printed is a little off, but thats why I print my own pantone color chart from the printer to use when matching pantone colors.
If pantones are a problem for the mutoh I have more work to do to find a good printer.....

ChiknNutz

If you're RIP is worth it's salt, then it should handle any color you throw it at...not saying the printer can hit all those colors, but it's the RIPs job to sort it all out. I use RGB, CMYK and PMS colors all the time...each has it's own merits, but all will print...how accurate those colors are to 'true' is another story, but they will all print.

Matt Cuellar

It cracks me up how it's always the printer's fault, never the end-user! I've had the ValueJet for well over 2 years now and I have NEVER had issues like this. Granted, I create all my profiles in-house, and I'm good at it, so that helps, and I have a RIP that backs up nearly everything I throw at it. I like Flexi, but I feel that there are certainly more robust RIPs out there for the large format market. I use Wasatch 6.3 and the spot color replacement, Color Atlas Generator, and all of their other tools pack a mighty punch! Also, there are DOZENS of VJ users on this forum and I can't think of many who have bad things to say about the VJ. You need to contact your dealer and get some assistance on this, either that or call Flexi for help. I don't know if you're in warranty, blah, blah, blah, but believe me, the ValueJet is a kick-ass printer! Buying a Jeti or JV33 won't solve anything unless you have a handle on your workflow in the first place. That's the most important part of an investment like this is having a dealer in your corner that understands what's going on and has resources to back it up. Do some searching, you'll be surprised at what support you can get from more specialized dealers. Who'd you buy it from anyway?

jiarby

It's close enough to the pantone color for the softball little league banner.

Even if the color was off, that would be a function of the profile & the RIP...not the printer.

The 1604 is a fine printer... did you take your meds this morning??

Sign_Boy

It's close enough to the pantone color for the softball little league banner.

Even if the color was off, that would be a function of the profile & the RIP...not the printer.

The 1604 is a fine printer... did you take your meds this morning??

hahahaha

I agree with you 100%

Meds hahaha that's funny

Hey I still want that banner.