• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ValueJet refill inks

gnemmas

Has any one tried jetbestusa.com? Here is the email I received for my inquiry:

"We do have Solution for the Mutoh ValueJet 1204, we have 2 different options for you, we have 440ml disposable cartridges, and we also have refillable cartridges. For the refillable cartridges you must buy the empty cartridges and $30 each and they can be refilled as many times as you would like and each liter of ink is $129. Disposable 440ml cartridges are $89 each."

1. The initial $30 cartridges are clear with a cap on top for refilling.
2. to respond to the chip reader, aluminum foil is to placed on the chip location.

Seems like a very simple solution. the savings on ink is 56%. What do you think?

randya

The chip readers in the cartidge slots actually looks for specific information written on the chip on the ink.

You may want to try a simple experiment....

Try swapping any two colors on your 1204, take a Black cartridge and put it in the Cyan slot, it will say something like "Not Original Ink". The reader also writes information on the chip on the ink, i.e. an approximation of how much ink is left.

If the reader is shorted out, it cannot read or write, this should give you ink errors and prevent you from filling, cleaning or printing.....

Last edited:

gnemmas

Kevin, I only see Mutoh Falcon or Rockhopper on their website, so I called them. They say they don't have solution for the Valuejet chip reader yet. Are you using Valuejet?

MobileImpact

No, using a Falcon Series printer. I would NOT try the foil. You may want to ask them though, I believe the Inks I use for my Falcon are the same as the Value Jet.

Urban Image

I wouldn't recommend using the 440s on the 48" ValueJet. The VJ is not designed to support them. Our company had a customer that was using them. Someone bumped into one as they were walking by and bad things happened.

VinylCraft

Bad things happend. They also happen when you use the wrong inks. I fugure if you stick with the OEM stuff you wont have any problems. However the VJ and the falcon are the same thing.

Urban Image

Yea, bad things happened. The thing broke off inside the slot and you can guess whose job it was to fix it. Big fun.

Anyway, it's just not a good idea. From a tech perspective, OEM is the way to go on almost any machine. The only exception I would make is one particular brand of aftermarket ink for the HP 5000/5500.

bakhtra

Can you post your experience using 3rd party ink for mutoh valuejet?
Is there any other way than using "FOIL" for the chip?

mark in tx

That would void my Warranty, Using 3rd party inks may damage the printer's internal components such as Print Head, Dampers, Pump, etc

So you only can use Ford motor oil in a Ford car?

Established case law.

If more of us refused to put up with that crap from the manufacturers, they would stop saying it.

S

Sign-Man Signs

This post has popped up about every month. If you want to take a chance and mess up your $15,000 machine that's up to you. With all the chip stuff they have going on, personally, I'm sticking with the OEM carts. I get a CMYK cart for $59.00 dollars from Sign Signware House. Not worth the few more dollars I have to pay to worry if I'm going to mess up my printer and VOID the warranty.

TheSnowman

I'm w/ Sign-Man. Enter at your own risk, I'm not gonna wreck my machine. I had a guy want me to print on some semi tarp canvas, and he didn't understand why I didn't want to try it. Well, he wanted a big banner, at a cheap price, and wanted me to use his material...NOT HAPPENIN! It's not worth fixin' a $15,000 machine.

gnemmas

This issue comes up every month because many Valuejet owners are interested. If you are not, great. May be you have not experienced the convenience of a bulk ink system.

Spoiled by my Mimaki's third party bulk ink system, no warranty issues. We love to print overnight with our Mimaki. How many people still use oem cartridges on Mimaki?

Perhaps this printer is only been on the market for a year or so, those ink mfg are still working on breaking the chip, we shall see.

KR3signguy

3rd party inks are good if you don't have any service agreements or care in the world that they might change the genetics leaving you to reprofile every year or two. Also certain venders may not guarantee the longevity of the prints due to incompatabilites. Getting into a pissing match with vendors & manufacturers over these products may be a hassel when the customer wants his job rerun. It could be risky.

Pro Image

With the price of OEM do you think you'll save all that much money...............?

Im going to stick with the OEM, Not going to F up my investment..........

customsticker

Aluminum foil? How cheap can these people be.

With foil you will do a great job of shorting out any board in there.

Also, who says the foill will line up exactly where it needs to be?

USE OEM!

Valentino

while I have my warranty, only oem ink will pass through the printhead.

I am sure triangle will come out with a bulk ink system seeing as how many people have a valuejet. I'll be sure to put some money aside for it.