• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Skin Design

formanek

I hesitate posting unfinished designs but....

Each side has subtle changes like the icicles hanging from the top of the side on one and not on the other.

Be nice to me... I am sensitive.:loveya:

Attachments

• graham_design.jpg
    graham_design.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 74

Pat Whatley

My first impression was that it was for a comic book shop, video arcade, or amusement park. Don't ask me to explain that, that's just what I thought.

visual800

please dont do this. this makes me not wanna call them for anything. the colors are just too much! the lettering font is horrible...this looks like an ice cream truck. sorry

Jillbeans

Looks like you have got a bit of font squishing and stretching going on there, which is never a good idea.
I like the penguins.
(hey I'm from Pittsburgh)
but you have too many casual fonts (can't tell if it's the same one but stretched) going on.
Try the phone # and refrigeration in something like Impact, and Graham in caps and lower case if that is an option.
Your lettering is way too big on the sides, too.
Leave some breathing room.
You're terrifying those poor birds.
Why is refrigeration so low on the bottom of the van back?
Is it melting?
Love....Jill

formanek

Looks like you have got a bit of font squishing and stretching going on there, which is never a good idea.
I like the penguins.
(hey I'm from Pittsburgh)
but you have too many casual fonts (can't tell if it's the same one but stretched) going on.
Try the phone # and refrigeration in something like Impact, and Graham in caps and lower case if that is an option.
Your lettering is way too big on the sides, too.
Leave some breathing room.
You're terrifying those poor birds.
Why is refrigeration so low on the bottom of the van back?
Is it melting?
Love....Jill

Thanks for the constructive ideas. The customer is concerned about people not seeing it. I am making some changes to the fonts and working on the kerning a bit. Never should I "give up" and post at after midnight my time period. :rock-n-roll:

The penguins HAVE to be in the design. It is their trademark. Jilly I agree now that I look again this AM about the room to breathe.

The refrigeration on the back of the van went low because of the damn license plate area. I am now trying to shrink the lettering and place in a new area.

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. Gotta love the "don't ask me why comments." :banghead:

Jillbeans

Glad I didn't upset you.
I'm sensitive too.
What if you rearranged the phone # with refrigeration on the back for starters?

formanek

I hesitate posting unfinished designs but....

Each side has subtle changes like the icicles hanging from the top of the side on one and not on the other.

Be nice to me... I am sensitive.:loveya:

Version #2

Attachments

• Graham_2011.jpg
    Graham_2011.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 88

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For starters.... the ice doesn't look right being so blueish.

Why must all the copy be italicized ??

In a monochrome scale, you have just about everything around 4 to 6. Turn this into a grey-scale and you'll see what I mean.

Are you not doing anything to the roof ?? Reason being.... the icicles will be appearing from nowhere in the real-world.

formanek

Are you married to the Graham font? Too casual for main copy in this case, IMO. I like the graphics, though.

Not married to anything except my wife. :) Customer is not letting me use much for color and I am trying to get other opinions so I can start using it. He also wants me to use the snow covered font (almonte snow?) but ever damn truck I see with refrigeration uses it. It is hard to read in my opinion.

formanek

For starters.... the ice doesn't look right being so blueish.

Why must all the copy be italicized ??

In a monochrome scale, you have just about everything around 4 to 6. Turn this into a grey-scale and you'll see what I mean.

Are you not doing anything to the roof ?? Reason being.... the icicles will be appearing from nowhere in the real-world.

No roof, but the blue will go up to the point of the cap ridge. Ice will be coming from the drip edge on the roof where the side panels and roof meet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I mean by real life circumstances.........
white roof ice.jpg
Once a design is off the screen and in a real environment..... you can't fool the eye into seeing things that are just really there. To me, this looks odd, therefore not finished. Only food for thought. It's your project.
:peace!:

formanek

Here's what I mean by real life circumstances.........Once a design is off the screen and in a real environment..... you can't fool the eye into seeing things that are just really there. To me, this looks odd, therefore not finished. Only food for thought. It's your project.
:peace!:

I know what you meant and I am working to show the customer that too. This picture will help. Thanks. I am trying to talk them into skin'n the roof blue as well. Thanks Gino.:toasting:

Jillbeans

Version 2 is better but I don't like to see a script used alongside a casual font.
I would try to use as little of that Graham font as possible.