• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van wrap... and one big problem!

msenjur

Hello!

We just did this van wrap. Everything went well, except these corners of seeming windows. When we apply vinyl, we went over them like they would be flat. And then later we heat it up, and get them in right position. But viny was bubbling on whole corner! I could get it to be fix in corner!!! Then we cut line in corners, so that we realease vinyl, but then it come off on some places?! Not to mention, that cut line was very culry, so we cut another line with ruler, and now white line is 3-4mm width, but lines are straight and it doesnt look so bad.

So how in hell do you get vinyl in these window corner??? i saw a lot of vans, where there were same white line in corner, so i think we are not the only one with this problem! But i also saw vans, where there was no white line in corner. Viny was nicely sticked in corner.

Second question:
After installing background, we install other text. Do you charge that extra? Becouse it took some time and material, but the product look much better. We could print text with background, but then it could get off line, somewhere it could go curly... I think it is up to customer, if they are ready to pay more for better product?

but even here we had some problems with these window corner! Where letter line get on background vinly it came off again on some places. For 0,5-1mm. Will it come off more and more, or will it stay that way???

Here are some pictures... (look them in reverse order! :smile:)

Attachments

• P1010403.JPG
    P1010403.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 174
  • P1010399.JPG
    P1010399.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010401.JPG
    P1010401.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010392.JPG
    P1010392.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010389.JPG
    P1010389.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010390.JPG
    P1010390.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 150
  • P1010388.JPG
    P1010388.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010385.JPG
    P1010385.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010387.JPG
    P1010387.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 159
  • P1010383.JPG
    P1010383.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010382.JPG
    P1010382.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 109
  • P1010380.JPG
    P1010380.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010381.JPG
    P1010381.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010375.JPG
    P1010375.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010378.JPG
    P1010378.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010373.JPG
    P1010373.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010374.JPG
    P1010374.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010349.JPG
    P1010349.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 176

jasonx

What material are you using? You should be using IJ380 or a non bubble free cast material from another supplier.

Should have no problems having vinyl stay put in that recess if you reduce the stretch over a larger area which doesn't seem to be a problem with that vehicle.

The recess looks 15mm deep so if you tighten the vinyl to about 150mm from the edge of the recess then heat and apply into the recess you only have a 10% to 15% stretch which would be acceptable.

jasonx

If you had no choice over material and it was a short term material, the proper way would to be apply the vinyl right over the recess. Use the edge of the recess to the cut the vinyl then apply that remaining piece in the recess. You would have a white border with zero chance of failure. The cut would look nice though and you wouldn't touch the paint on the body of the vehicle.

msenjur

we were using oracal 3551 rapidair, and 215 oraguard lam.

ok... yes, we didnt tighten it to 150mm but only around 10mm. And first i strech vinyl in recess, and than i press rest vinyl on flat surface... so that i didnt tighten it in recess on end... hm... that could work, if i would left enough vinyl free.

What about vinyl coming off on edges? it is visible on photo ...383.jpg (last in second row)

msenjur

If you had no choice over material and it was a short term material, the proper way would to be apply the vinyl right over the recess. Use the edge of the recess to the cut the vinyl then apply that remaining piece in the recess. You would have a white border with zero chance of failure. The cut would look nice though and you wouldn't touch the paint on the body of the vehicle.

ok... so we did fine 'till photo ...349 (last one). At this point we should cut out "window", and apply it separetly? But there would defently be a white line!

jasonx

Your problem is of over stretching.

Did you post heat the vinyl after it was applied? I don't use Oracal so don't know their specific temperature.

I'd say that its going to curl back a bit more. If you still have the van make sure that all the vinyl is as flat as you can apply it and then post heat it properly. This should help stop the pvc from wanting to return to its original pre stretched state.

Next time to put the stretch in the vinyl over the largest area to put less stress on the vinyl itself.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think you have used the wrong material for this wrap.
The 3551 and 215 are both calendered and are not a first choice of material for a vehicle like that. Your materials would work better on large flat sided panel trucks that do not have the complex curves and recessed lines that your van does.

You need to use a cast film and cast laminate to do it properly.
The extra cost of these materials will more than be made up for with easier installations and far less chance of failures in the areas you are having issues with.
Calendered vinyl will try to return to the flat shape it was on the roll leading to lifting even when it has been post heated correctly on the vehicle.

wayne k
guam usa

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Half a foot across - as in some of the bubble must be nearly 12 centimeters long. I think he was meaning the actual printed bubbles.

But yes as other said - wrong material for a full wrap. Only thing I'd wrap with a calendered vinyl would be a flat box. We use 3M 180 CV3 for most wraps but where something has extreme contoured curves or extreme recesses like those on a Sprinter we also will use some 3M 380 for those areas.

laserman70

Wrong material like the others said. The tenting will only get worse.
Wrap the sucker again and take the loss. Good lesson learned.
That type of material cannot be stretched, or conform to the body like your trying to do.
3551 is for flat surfaces.

Ideal for general signage and vehicle wraps over simple to moderate curves, rivets and corrugations, conformable Series 3551RA features an advanced air-release liner and a solvent-based, grey-pigmented repositionable adhesive to make smooth application a breeze. Plus this 7-year, 2.75-mil film features a smooth, bright, ultra-glossy surface to produce vivid, life-like prints that can be removed with little or no adhesive residue for up to four years. Available in white gloss finish.

phototec

we were using oracal 3551 rapidair, and 215 oraguard lam.

Now way around it, you used the WRONG materials for this type of wrap!

Oracal 3551RA is for general signage and vehicle wraps over simple to moderate curves,

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=225

Should have used ORAJET 3951RA cast construction for highly conformable performance over the most difficult curves, corrugations, and rivets.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=230

I strongly suggest, you remove this wrap and re-wrap with the correct material, these tents and bubbles are only going to get WORSE.

Sorry, lessons of hard knocks!

:omg2: