• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

van wrap question

grafxxx

just a quick question on a van i have to wrap. best way to install vertical or horizontal.
thanks in advance.
~mike

32bantum

Depends on what size printer, laminator and employees. If you have a large enough printer to print horizontal front to back or at least up to the doors and enough help to hang it I'd go that route, if you have a smaller printer I'd go vertical panels. Fewer seams is always best and gives a more professional impression.

grafxxx

it will be me alone installing and the printer is 54" wide ok great sound good. thanks
~mike

CheapVehicleWrap

and no overlap either, 1.25" inch underlap. it ads cools stripes the same color of the vehicle and saves media. Really draws attention.

Salmoneye

Speaking of overlaps, wrapswrapswraps, what do you normally use for an overlap. We are a new operation and have applied vehicle lettering and graphics but no wraps. I am getting ready to do my own trailer and don't know how much overlap I should use. But don't worry it will still be done diagonally no matter the overlap :)

kev3232

If you're a wrap rookie go vertical 3m calls for 1/4 - 1/2 inch overlap most usually do 1 inch.

K

mzick

Vertical is the best way to go unless you dont have much to match up. Go vert, start from the rear and work forward with 1/2" overlaps. Think of it this way......your vert panels will have less to match up with more control than horizontal. Good luck.

grafixemporium

Vertical is the best way to go unless you dont have much to match up. Go vert, start from the rear and work forward with 1/2" overlaps. Think of it this way......your vert panels will have less to match up with more control than horizontal. Good luck.

How do you figure you'll have less to match up doing vertical panels?

If you do the sides of the van in 2 horizontal panels, you only have one seam to match up. We usually do the full width of the vinyl for the upper panel and then do a small strip across the bottom for the lower panel. That way the seam is down near the rocker panel area and not in your direct line of sight. You end up with a seamless appearance.

Vertical panels look terrible on any vehicle. I don't understand why I see pickup truck beds with a seam right down the middle. Use some common sense!

grafxxx

magnets are def a plus. learned that lesson real quick. I'm going horizontal there is not a lot to match up just a city scape of Boston. with the company name at the top and i think that the seam will fall in the water area of the design so it should be hidden pretty well. thanks for the advice..

WB

I go Horizontal if I can get the complete vehicle in the 54" if not I usually go Vertical depending on the wrap.. I find having no seems really makes the wrap look that much nicer.

mzick

GFX......what I ment is that you have less to match up over the length of the panels themselves. I can install horizontal panels but prefer verticle. I feel I have more controll and typically install by myself. It is all a matter of personal preference so as long as it is installed correctly with overlaps going the right direction...then what does it matter. The guy just asked for an opinion.

grafixemporium

If you do vertical panels on a van, depending on the van, you will have to match up 4 or more seams on each side. If you do horizontal panels on a van, you just have one seam. Place that one seam down low and it will be out of most people's line of sight when the are looking at the van. It won't be as noticeable.

You're right, it is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that vertical panels look like ass on just about anything... especially when there is a way to do it with fewer seams or no seams at all.

ProWraps

industry standard is vertical seems with the wind seems facing backwards (aka start at the back and panel forward). 1" seems on cars with curved surfaces .5" seems on flat trailers and boxes. to answer your question, we go with the industry standard.