• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Graphics Software

adeanh

Fred or anyone with an answer, I have one piece of art that I need to convert into a vector art file. It is a relatively simple piece. Is there a free software download that I can get that will let me do it myself? If so, is it easy to use?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
we need more information in order to help you!
Do you have any programs like CorelDraw or AI?
What vinyl cutting programs do you have?
I got CorelDraw 9 for about $20.

Some files that are already in vector format are .cdr, .eps, .wmf
.eps files can be both raster and vector.
After vectorizing be sure to check the saved file to make sure it is vectorized.

adeanh

Thank you

Dale,
Thank you for your reply and sorry about the incomplete info. I have a logo that I want to vectorize for business cards and letterhead. I drew it Paintbrush, of all places, so it's a bitmap image. I don't have any graphics programs and only need to do this one piece of art - hence the desire for a free download. I know I could pay someone to do it for me, but why when I could do it myself?

Techman

I know I could pay someone to do it for me, but why when I could do it myself?
Well, you can't do it yourself with Paintbrush. Those of us who do this for a living spend hundreds of hours and lots of money to learn how to vector.

Now you have to find a way to vectorize it. Good luck. Maybe you could pay someone here to do it for you. But, depending on how complex it is,, it may not come out.. Or you could pay as we do with one of the vectorizing companies to do it for you..

Earlier versions of Corel draw can be had for just a few dollars. Why not get one of those and you will have a means to make vector art.

TC49010

Theres places that will convert it for a whole lot less than your probally thinking and they are alot faster at getting it done and back to you. I have tried my hand at it and I am still learning do some of the minor easy ones but if I have things to do and just want it done, my time is worth the 20.00 bill it would cost to let some one else do it for me.

Just my .02
Trixie

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Adeanh, if you're willing you can try out Inkscape.
http://www.inkscape.org/

Inkscape is a free, open source vector graphics drawing program. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a full blown professional drawing program like Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. But you can at least get some decent work completed with it.

Xara Xtreme is another alternative. Although it is not free. The Windows version costs $79. But that's not bad for a program that has most of the basic tools you need to create vector-based artwork. It also covers some of the bitmap area as well. Modern versions of CorelDRAW share a great deal of similar code and functions.

Plans are underway to make an open source version of Xara Xtreme. But the builds are slowly being updated to 64-bit code and to work on various builds of Linux as well as the MacOS. No word on if the open source version will be available for Windows users.

Now, if you are doing graphics work in a paid capacity (designing logos, graphics, etc. for profit) then you really should consider investing in a professional level drawing package.

adeanh

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Thanks,
Dean
p.s. I used to work for a really cool font guy who owned a sign shop back in 1994 in Lake Worth. Three guesses who. He told me back then to invest in Adobe, because they were creating the standard in computer visuals. I wish I had listened.

adeanh

Bobby H,
I used the inkscape program. Thank you. It took about 30 minutes to figure it out and then about an hour to re-create my logo. It's very simple, but that is exactly what I wanted. If I have to do anything more difficult, I will definitely use a professional's services.

TC49010

Which mirror site did you pick to down load it from? I have tried 2 places in North America an both have failed to run. They install, just wont run.

foxesfarm

inkscape is free and pretty good.

I found inkscape and used it a lot before I got adobe illustrator, since flexi-starter won't vectorize graphics I still use it for specialty things, because it offers manual choices of how the computer decides to trace things, and in photos that can make a big difference.

if you can't find it online i'll mail you a copy for $1.00. It has trial versions of other software that you can play with to help you decide what program to buy if you see yourself needing a real program later.
office@foxesfarm.com